Pierced primer, broken sear, common?

Discussion in '6BR, 6BR Improved & Wildcats' started by IN50, Mar 30, 2020.

1. DOGCAPPER

DOGCAPPER

I have not lost a Jewell trigger to pierced primers , but have temporarly lost function due to powder and metal flushing thru the trigger.

2. JEFFPPC

JEFFPPC Silver $$ Contributor

Swd...Good idea. I did a search, found couple who had or heard of it happening but mostly asking if it could happen. I bet there are a whole bunch more non competitive barrels out there than there are broken sears. Now with my luck I will get a broken sear this year.

3. DaveTooley

DaveTooley Silver $$ Contributor

Dusty

Think maybe parts wired out of plate stock VS. investment cast parts might have something to do with it?
    And yea I've taken bolts apart during a match to dump all the discs out.
    Old Jewell's are golden.
    After some thought I was running Ben Burns 3 lever conversions back in those days.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
    Mark Buettgen likes this.
  4. johara1

johara1

I got into some bad lot Fed. primers that blanked doing Fire forming in a Panda F class and pieces of the Jewell were falling out on the bench. Not a great feeling ..... jim

5. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

I do use the old jewells for sure. Anytime i sell a br rifle it gets a brand spankin new trigger for its new owner- makes it an even better deal right?

dogdude, LRPV and DaveTooley like this.
  6. comagutsa

comagutsa

yep same thing happened to my jewell .. over the years ive had a few pieced primers FF loads .. and then this time she broke

7. comagutsa

comagutsa

here ya go mate , its the triangle bit
    thumbnail_Screenshot_20190503_220945_com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.jpg
    thumbnail_Screenshot_20190526_142852_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

SPJ, swd, eric n and 1 other person like this.
  8. anschuter2013

anschuter2013 Silver $$ Contributor

Thanks Comagutsa!

comagutsa likes this.
  9. gunsandgunsmithing

gunsandgunsmithing The best tuners and wind flags on the market Gold $$ Contributor

Yes, it can happen but is far from a certainty. I've pierced a bunch of primers over the years, mostly while ff cases and I've never lost a trigger to it, personally...but I've seen it happen to others.

comagutsa likes this.
  10. johara1

johara1

Like they say from pop to flop...... jim

11. Della

Della Silver $$ Contributor

Many thousands of rounds fired and I’ve had exactly 1 pierced primer.
    It broke the Jewell. $60 or so to repair.

12. gunsandgunsmithing

gunsandgunsmithing The best tuners and wind flags on the market Gold $$ Contributor

I think action/bolt design is an important factor in this, as well as the case used, i.e., large flash hole and possibly fp tip diameter. Some actions vent gas from the bolt better than others for one. What happens is, gasses enter the bolt body, driving the pin rearward and it then flies forward into the sear bar of the trigger, breaking the trigger. I think the way the bolt manages the gas plays a major role in whether you break a trigger...but then again, so does luck.

13. Della

Della Silver $$ Contributor

Defiance Deviant.
    I knew something was up when I saw smoke out the vent hole.

gunsandgunsmithing likes this.
  14. Jimmy James

Jimmy James Silver $$ Contributor

What Della said. Happened to me last year. $40 after me paying shipping to Jewell.

15. Ledd Slinger

Ledd Slinger Gold $$ Contributor

I've had a badly blown primer in a Rem 700 that blew the extractor recess off the bolt face, forced the floor plate to fly open, and disabled the trigger sear engagement. So yeah, a blown primer from excessive pressure can definitely disable a trigger.

In my case, I just cleaned the trigger and re-adjusted sear engagement and it worked fine.

But the bolt face had to be machined out and bushed plus a sako extractor installed before it could be used again.

dogdude likes this.
  16. 10XSHOOTER

10XSHOOTER Gold $$ Contributor

I broke a Jewell with a popped primer in a Dasher. Send it back to Jewell and they'll fix you up!

17. IN50

IN50

Thanks everyone. It is on the way back to Jewell.

18. mr.big

mr.big

I broke 2 Jewel triggers like that ,they charged me like 70 bucks each to fix them..

In another action I have blanked several primers with no damage to the trigger, idk maybe it diverts the gas pressure out different.

19. Jet

Jet Gold $$ Contributor

Broke a Jewell FF Dasher brass using Federal primers. Another great reason to shoot the 6BRAI over the Dasher--much easier to make good brass.

Good Shooting

Rich