Picked This Up Yesterday

Discussion in 'Rimfire & Smallbore' started by USMCDOC, Sep 9, 2017.

1. USMCDOC

USMCDOC Silver $$ Contributor

I picked this lil rifle up yesterday, i cleaned it and put a scope on it, going out today to see how well it shoots. i can tell you already that i don't care much for the stock, i will be looking for a stock with a 3 inch forearm.
    20170908_184912.jpg 20170908_184925.jpg

holstil likes this.
  2. USMCDOC

Ok, i did some numbers from the Purdy Rx and what i used was the 7th first and the difference right now of the actual Physical Length and the prescribed PL is .9269 inches. If i use the 9th harmonic then the difference is .088 inches. The weight of the tuner that is on it is 1 lb 0.8 ounces
    Here is a pic of the tuner
    20170909_081027.jpg

i am going to shoot it this morning.. and see how it shoots.. will try two different kinds of ammo in it..

What say you?

pacificman likes this.
  3. JoeMcNeill

JoeMcNeill

USMCDOC,
    Why not use a Sinclair , Forend Benchrest Adaptor, on the stock? Whole lot cheaper than replacing the stock.
    Regards,

Joe McNeill
    SW Arkansas

seymour fish likes this.
  4. USMCDOC

Swivel mount has been removed and plugged off.. But i guess i could have an adaptor made from wood so that it matches the contour of the front of the stock.. straighten out the back bottom of the rear of the stock so that it is level and add a rudder to it..

txdan likes this.
  5. DOGCAPPER

DOGCAPPER

GECO by RWS shoots better than Fed Auto Matcch. Two grades same velocity(standard) one for bolt, other for autoloader. About 600 per case.

USMCDOC likes this.
  6. USMCDOC

Thanks for the tip.. i will prob try some Fed 719 and some Center-X in it today. I also have some Polar Match i could try as well.

7. pacificman

pacificman

Of course we want to see how it shoots! I got a kick out of your last one...and it shot very well.
    It's always fun to pick up a rifle ...new or used... and get them to shoot. In all the rifles I have
    I've had only one that really gave me fits when trying to make it shoot....I finally figured that
    a new barrel was the answer but got it to shoot satisfactory until I'm ready to buy a new barrel.

Semper Fi

USMCDOC likes this.
  8. USMCDOC

Yeah.. i spoke to Joe today on the phone, not only did i speak to him about a Unlimited stock for it.. (I will keep this one too.. makes the rifle more versatile) But that it appears to like Norma Tac-22. I take a pic of the trial target..

9. cmillard

cmillard

what brand of barrel is it? I have always had great luck with sk match or wolf match xtra. sharp rifle by the way

10. USMCDOC

i am told that it is a Douglas barrel that is on it..

11. USMCDOC

You got it brother! I am glad that you did in fact got a joy out of the other one.. here is the test target.. Please let me state that i didn't move the ears on the NEO rest, i have them where i want them for the Turbo rifle. This rifle still has the factory heavy trigger in it.. and if you are not careful, will make you pull the rifle to the right severely! I bumped the tip of the forearm against the stock stop, used shoulder pressure and grip, but not a heavy or firm, no cheek pressure or weld. Top sighter targets were shot with Auto Match on the first two left ones, the far right one is Standard Velocity CCI. The bottom row beginning with the sighter target bottom right was with Norma Tac-22, then came left for the next four targets. I then switched back to Auto Match and then shot the next row above. The top row you see in the target is from the Turbo with Center-X, no sighters.
    20170909_214923.jpg

Winds were getting up to about 10 mph full value at times.. Not much for head or tail (rare for this range) winds. Lots of quartering and full value winds with intensity..

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    pacificman likes this.
  12. pacificman

pacificman

Looking good...first thing would be to get a better trigger I think! Looks like the cci
    didn't do to bad to me.;) center-x not bad either. Nothing I hate worse than wind.
    I bought a book and a wind meter to study the wind...just hoping I might learn something
    about judging wind for next rat season.:D

13. USMCDOC

Yeah..i am going to play with the CCI some more today.. i haven't tried the Polar Biathlon yet either.. Not that i think that i would use a lot of that..
    And there is no doubt.. i will be ordering a Kidd 3/3 two stage trigger for the rifle.

pacificman likes this.
  14. USMCDOC

i am deff ordering a Kidd 3/3 trigger today!

pacificman likes this.
  15. pacificman

pacificman

I have convinced myself many times that I'll be fine with a substandard trigger...then after a couple
    times at the range trying to get a rifle to shoot tight groups I wake-up and realize it going to be
    very difficult to attain the accuracy I'm wanting with a crappy trigger and finally get a good trigger
    when I should have done it right away...LOL:p:D:D

16. USMCDOC

I know that feeling.. one needs to eliminate every variable he can

pacificman likes this.
  17. USMCDOC

Well i have decided that with this stock, i am going to make some mounting pillars for a front 3" plate.

18. USMCDOC

Ok.. here are the pillars.. freshly made.. waddya think?

20170911_121808.jpg

screws are 1/4-20 and the pillars are just over .71 long. and are .5002 round