Peterson 'Wildcat Tubes'

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by Kurz, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Kurz

Kurz

I posted this in one of the topics below and since I may have missed the announcement here, I'm posting it again just in case. If it's a duplicate I can delete it.

upload_2018-12-2_7-50-16.png

upload_2018-12-2_7-51-29.png

damoncali likes this.
  2. jackson1

jackson1 Silver $$ Contributor

Not that I am the sharpest tool in the drawer, but have not seen basic brass for sale in years. My great uncles were custom gunsmiths in Montrose Co., they had a love for wildcats. They were close friends of Fred Huntington and Fred Barnes. From them, I got a 35 Brown Whelen and some of basic brass. also a tapered tool that I placed in the Brown Whelen sizing die to make basic brass out of 30-06. Also received some Norma basic brass, from them. Another item I received form them was a set of dies to make 243 Winchester form 30-06 brass. In my younger days, I used to brag that I could make anything from 06 brass, from 22-250 to 35 Brown Whelen. Maybe I was poor or just foolish, but I remember coveting military brass and all that went with the primer pockets. I remember reading my PO Ackley manuals cover to cover and dreaming. Can't forget the Powley computer. We have come a long ways. The more things change the more they stay the same.

3. Ron Gorski

Ron Gorski

So, all you would need is a full length sizing die to make the wildcat of your choice?

4. Ggmac

Ggmac Gold $$ Contributor

Don't you just sometimes wish that people would read books again instead of posting and reading everyone's thoughts on the subject .
    I just spent 1.5 hrs trying to find the old shop reference book on Redfield mounts 1972 ish , just to have the person I'm trying to help not understand how to use Redfield Jr dovetail base an rings .
    I just don't get it . Sorry for the rant .

JimSC likes this.
  5. Millersgun.parts

Millersgun.parts Silver $$ Contributor

companies have offered a few of these straight cases recently .223 comes to mind but this new offering from Peterson is really neat!

6. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Youd really need a set of wildcat forming dies

7. josh shrum

josh shrum Gold $$ Contributor

I wonder if the setback dies that Pbike made me would work for these? Then use a resize die to finish the body taper?

8. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Thats exactly what id do

9. Ringostar

Ringostar

I would like to see them in a longer length. I’ve been playing with a case design that I’ve formed down from 30-06 brass. It’s a 6.5 that falls between an improved Swede an a 6.5x284 with long neck.

10. josh shrum

josh shrum Gold $$ Contributor

I too would like to see these in a 284 win sized case as well as a mag sized case