Peterson brass

Discussion in 'Competition Forum (All Calibers)' started by coyote bill, Sep 5, 2017.

1. VaRandy

VaRandy Silver $$ Contributor

I picked up 50 .408 cases that I have not tried out yet but the neck thickness is insufficient to allow me to neck turn. Someone there previously said they were aware of it and may produce a fatter neck version. No answer on that since including a few emails I have sent.

2. jpretle

jpretle Silver $$ Contributor

I haven't tried Peterson Brass, but I have used Alpha Brass, in 308. One lot was used as 308 and another lot was necked down to 243 and FF'd to 243AI. Weight and neck consistency between lots gave me a big surprise. I would consider it 'as good', if not better than Lapua. The rim thickness is greater than any other brass i have found and should lend itself to longevity in the primer pocket.
    If you haven't tried it, i think you are missing the boat.
    FWIW.

3. Peterson Cartridge

Peterson Cartridge

Erik,

Sorry it has taken me this long to respond. You have made me do a lot of research today. Everything that I can find is that, the term Palma is trademarked as (shooting events, namely arranging for, and conduction rifle shooting competitions) from everything that i can find we are well within the parameters of not infringing on any trademark rights. Please know this is something we are taking very serious as i am still doing more research into the matter. Thank you for pointing this out.

Ben Preston
    Peterson Cartiridge

mtnman31 likes this.
  4. Peterson Cartridge

Peterson Cartridge

Have you had emails that didn't get answered? This concerns me if so. We had a change in personnel and i have been trying to put together some of the loose pieces and get back to people that the previous employee ignored. Please if you have questions email me at bpreston@petersoncartridge.com i promise your questions will get answered in a timely manner.

dragman and Jdne5b like this.
  5. Kiwi Greg

Kiwi Greg

I got 100 Peterson 375 CT brass.
    Beautiful brass
    When I weighed it I found it had a less weight variance than the Lapua brass I have weighed which is a third the weight.....:)

6. JRS

JRS Silver $$ Contributor

IIRC, the "Palma" name is legally trademarked, and owned by the US Palma Teams. You might consider checking that out.

Edit: With a bit of research, it seems Lapua worked closely with the Palma Teams to receive their blessing before producing the Palma brass. It also appears Sierra did the same with the Palma bullet. It's possible, Berger chose the "full-bore"name for their 155.5 grain bullet for that very reason.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    gotcha and swehrman like this.
  7. coyote bill

coyote bill

Hi Ben I'm from Canada and I shoot competition and I'm going to be ordering some of your brass to try

Peterson Cartridge likes this.
  8. Tempest

Tempest

Just ordered some for my new barrel and will test when it arrives.

9. rwh

rwh Gold $$ Contributor

I don't work for Peterson but I do know hot to use the TESS system at the US patent office. Turns out that Palma is indeed a live service mark owned by the NRA (along with a cool design) for goods and services related to arranging and conducting shooting events. Any internet lawyers happen to know what that has to do with the name stamped on the bottom of a cartridge case?

10. JRS

JRS Silver $$ Contributor

The "PALMA" name is owned by the U.S Palma Team, and protected by them. The NRA "Palma" usage happens through service. Much like "CREEDMORE". 308 Winchester is used by virtually every brass maker because it isn't trademarked.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  11. VaRandy

don't understand. What is a third of the weight?

12. rwh

rwh Gold $$ Contributor

That's possible but why didn't they register the trademark? Even if they did what would a trademark violation look like? Maybe if someone decided to make up some other shooting sport and call it Palma? I see somebody has registered "JRS" as a trademark. I am so glad Microsoft finally cancelled their trademark on "Bob". That one really had me worried.

13. Kiwi Greg

Kiwi Greg

When I weigh Lapua 6.5 Grendel brass, which weighs one third the weight of the Peterson 375 Cheytac case, it often has more total weight variance.

14. VaRandy

thanx, I can understand that well. Will likely be trying Peterson.

15. spclark

spclark Gold $$ Contributor

That'll happen; lighter weight cases are statistically harder to hold to same weight tolerance as something three times the weight.

16. Erud

Erud

I guess at the very least, maybe you guys should do some research to find out what "Palma" is. It does not mean "small primer". The Lapua Palma brass does have a small primer, but that isn't what makes it Palma. In the Palma shooting discipline, the only legal cartridges are the .308 Winchester and .223 Remington, along with their NATO equivalents. So, stamping the word "Palma" on .308 brass at least makes some sense, although it is my understanding that it is a trademarked term. Stamping "Palma" on 6.5 Creedmoor, .260 Remington, or other non-Palma legal cartridges makes no sense. Kind of like stamping "Tennis" on the side of a football.

skiutah02 likes this.