Peterson brass

Discussion in 'Competition Forum (All Calibers)' started by coyote bill, Sep 5, 2017.

1. coyote bill

coyote bill

has anyone tried this brass in competition?

Highpower-FClass likes this.
  2. Highpower-FClass

Highpower-FClass Gold $$ Contributor

I was not familiar with Peterson brass other than having seen the name a few times. After going to their site I am too curious to know if anyone has used / evaluated this brass. They have 308 Palma brass at prices comparable to Lapua, has anyone tried their Palma brass for F-TR / evaluated how it performs compared to Lapua?

They have a great overview of how they make their brass:

https://www.petersoncartridge.com/our-process/drawing-brass

3. coyote bill

coyote bill

Yeah me as well .....

4. JBT

JBT Gold $$ Contributor

5. HPMike800

HPMike800

I just picked up 100 260Rem cases from them. I have not shot them yet and sorry to say it will be a month or so before I can. I can say that dimensionally it's the best brass I have ever seen.

I measured 10 of the 100.

Weight was all within 1.2 gr, 8 of them were within 0.80gr.

Neck thickness- best I have ever seen, 2 were 15 - 14.25 thou, 3 were 14.5 - 14.25 thou and 5 were 14.25 around the entire case neck.

I used a Neco tool to measure case wall thickness. All 10 cases had case wall variations less than 1.5 thou, and 5 were well under 1 thou. I have never seen numbers this good.

OAL all but 1 case were within 5 thou.

I don't know how it shoots but it sure measures good. The 50 round hinged box was how it shipped:)

Attached Files:

Highpower-FClass likes this.
  6. Papa Charlie

Papa Charlie

Just curious, how many other precision case manufactures have you checked and who were the top performers?

7. coyote bill

coyote bill

I may try a few to see how they do .... thanks for sharing that !!!!

8. JBT

JBT Gold $$ Contributor

Thank you for posting HPMike

9. HPMike800

HPMike800

Honestly, I don't measure / sort brass as a rule. I have sampled many types over the years though. LC, Win, Norma, Lapua mostly. I have found culling out the really out of tolerance LC brass does improve scores.

Creighton Audette tested group / case wall variation years ago. He said variation less than 3 thou made no difference. I have found that to be true.

In my comp guns I have used Lapua almost exclusively. Brass Longevity is an important concern for me and Lapua is king in that department.

I'm looking forward to see how the Peterson performs.

10. plinker625

plinker625

The three new players on the block
    Peterson
    Kinetic
    Alpha

Are all newcomers to the brass market. They all use the same machinery to produce brass.

The samples of Peterson we have seen are excellent.

The samples of Kinetic are excellent too. They have had their brass tested by a large bullet maker. The cases started to fail in the 30 plus reload range.

Kinetic is local to us. And, we have seen their products for sale locally.

11. Jdne5b

Jdne5b Silver $$ Contributor

Starline is newish to the rifle brass market also. Creedmoor, 260rem, 308, .223 etc.

12. snert

snert Gold $$ Contributor

Just realized I drive past Peterson every day! Who knew??

13. Peterson Cartridge

Peterson Cartridge

If any of you have any questions I would be more than happy to help you out. You can either comment on here or reach me directly at bpreston@petersoncartridge.com

I see some of you have questions on using our brass in competition. I can tell you that we sponsor several f-class shooters and most of them have gone on to win events using our brass. We also specialize in extreme long range casing as well. Our casings went on to win the king of the 2 mile competition just a few months back. Know comparing us to Lapua there is hardly any comparing that can be done. We believe that we make a far more superior product. We take great pride with the consistency of our internal volume above all our competition. Not to mention the amount of reload that you can get out of our casings. The testing we did on the .308 win we ended up with 32 reloads and they still had not split or cracked. Come check us out and see for yourself. I positive that everyone that tries our brass is going to be very please and continue to come back to us time after time.
    Like I said please contact me with any questions. Rather that be on here or by email I will look forward to answering any questions.

Happy Shooting,

Ben

14. MTlager

MTlager

Will you be making 300 Rum brass, or was that just a rumor ??

Lonnie

Terry Altom likes this.
  15. Erud

Erud

Ben,
    I see on your website that you sell 6.5 Creedmoor "Palma" brass - what does that mean? Obviously any 6.5 cartridge would not be legal for Palma.

Also, since your company is using the trademarked "Palma" name on your brass, is it safe to assume that you are a sponsor of the US Palma Team?

Thanks,
    Erik

16. HPMike800

HPMike800

Ben:
    I have been meaning to e-mail you about this. "Palma" is a trademarked term. I would discontinue it's use. You could pay for it I guess. I would just mark small Primer brass SP. The word Palma to denote small primer 308 variants is stupid anyway.

Just my 0.02

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  17. spclark

spclark Gold $$ Contributor

I bought 50 'Palma' 308 cases earlier this summer from Peterson. Arrived by mail, plastic ammo case they'd shipped 'em in was broken but I credit that to the USPS rather than anything Peterson might have done different, other than maybe a cardboard box rather than a padded envelope.

Weighed 20 of those new cases, found a significantly wider variation from light to heavy (admitting I did nothing to them like load, shoot, re-size then trim-to-length first) than new Lapua Palma brass I've been using since the first year it was available.

So I put those 50 aside on my reloading bench for another time.

(Erik I think maybe they used 'Palma' to denote cases with small rifle primer, kinda like Kleenex means nose wipes to most everybody... but both words are indeed trademarked so your question has merit.)

They look super though, maybe I'll load 'em yet this year for a match.

18. Kimber.204

Kimber.204 Silver $$ Contributor

I shot a highpower match next to the Lead Ballistician for Peterson Cartridge Co. He was shooting an M1A using Peterson Palma brass that he quit counting how many times it had been fired. I was planning to order some new .308 brass anyway and was glad to support a local company.

I worked up a load with Sierra 155gr SMK (I don't shoot Palma, but I found out my tactical rifle loves the Sierra 2156's). Using RL15, and CCI benchrest primers I'm getting just over 2900fps out of a 1:10 twist, 24in long barrel. ES ~ 11fps, SD ~6.

The brass looks great right as it comes out of the box. Chamfered in and out, length was spot on.

Buy with confidence! I hope they start offering 6BR and 243win.

Regards,
    Ross

gotcha likes this.
  19. Peterson Cartridge

Peterson Cartridge

It is one of our casing under consideration for the future

20. R.Morehouse

R.Morehouse Gold $$ Contributor

Start making 6BR and you will have a whole lot more brass in top comp. than catering to the ELR gang.....IMHO.....;)

deepwater and gotcha like this.