Peterson Brass Primer Pockets

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by avidflyer, Feb 10, 2019.

1. avidflyer

avidflyer Silver $$ Contributor

Bought 50 pieces of new Peterson 308 SR brass. Thought I’d do an experiment of how perfect I can get the brass and if it even matters. Going to turn the necks, and uniform the primer pockets to start. My K&M primer pocket tool will not go into over 3/4 of the pieces. A couple that it would I had a hell of a time getting out without trashing the brass. Anyone have this issue? Seems very undersized.

2. Ktmracer358

Ktmracer358

I have some Peterson small rifle 308. Never tried to uniform them they are tight, but from the beginning and after 3 reloads I have had no problems getting them to seat fully.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  3. nmkid

nmkid Gold $$ Contributor

Yes, it seems they do have some tight primer pockets!

4. MVRK28

MVRK28

I started noticing this with my most recent batch of peterson. I ended up ordering a box of Alpha and have had zero issues.

5. 47WillysGuy

47WillysGuy Gold $$ Contributor

Peterson primer pockets are very very tight.

6. Ledd Slinger

Ledd Slinger Gold $$ Contributor

Same thing happened to me on 300 Norma Mag cases. Ridiculously tight and couldbt seat primers all the way. Very difficult to cut and uniform. Good cutting oil helps the uniformer get in and back out a lot better. I called Peterson, told then about my issue, and sent in a few cases for them to inspect. They gave me a new box of 50 brass for my trouble. Good people that will make it right. Havent checked primer pockets on the new brass yet.

7. Ken Marsh

Ken Marsh

I have 500 pcs. of Peterson with large rifle primers and they are very consistent in all dimensions and primer pockets are pretty good too.... just saying.

Mulligan likes this.
  8. Flouncer

Flouncer What the heck it works for me !! Gold $$ Contributor

Similar experience with Starline SR 6.5 Creedmore. Maybe 7 out of 100 cases.

9. BP1

BP1 Team Texas F-TR Silver $$ Contributor

Had the same problem..they collect dust now

10. natdscott

natdscott P100, HM, DR, experienced beginner. Gold $$ Contributor

What if you just seated primers and loaded the brass?

Ggmac likes this.
  11. avidflyer

avidflyer Silver $$ Contributor

Thats the plan, see what happens

12. Martin52

Martin52

If the SRP Peterson brass is like Lapua Palma then the K&M standard SR primer pocket tool is slightly oversize. This was an issue for me when I bought my first lot of palma sr brass but was fixed when I bought the PMA tool:

http://www.pmatool.com/pma-lapua-sm...uniformer-complete-w-handle-and-power-adapter

barefooter56 likes this.