Persistently Loose Rail - Tool and Locking Compound Issues

Discussion in 'Gun Project Questions & Gunsmithing' started by 6ShotsOr5?, Jul 5, 2019.

1. tmwinds

tmwinds Gold $$ Contributor

Some are harder than others I guess, I've rounded off a few, I could probably break a bowling ball with my less than stellar mechanical skills.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
    Dusty Stevens likes this.
  2. boltfluter

boltfluter Gold $$ Contributor

I would put a straight edge on the rail first to see how bad it is or not. If straight proceed. If not, toss it and get a brand name rail. EGW puts out some real junk from time to time.:D:D

Paul

3. Larryh128

Larryh128

There are much better tools available than Craftsman, not what they were years ago.

4. ricco1949

ricco1949

@6ShotsOr5?

I can't imagine a 6x48 or an 8x40 standing up to 45-50 foot pounds. Surely they would strip. Did u mean to write 45-50 inch pounds? EGW recommends 20 inch pounds.

6ShotsOr5? likes this.
  5. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Don't criticize the farmer with your mouth full. Gold $$ Contributor

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
    6ShotsOr5? likes this.
  6. 6ShotsOr5?

6ShotsOr5? Gold $$ Contributor

Yes DEFINITELY, surprised someone didn’t catch that sooner.

7. milanuk

milanuk Gold $$ Contributor

Any particular reason you're going so heavy on the torque, other than things coming loose? As already pointed out, EGW recommends 20 in-lbs, and other manufacturers (i.e. Farrell) recommend similar values - 20-25 in-lbs. That and a (small) drop of blue Loctite should be enough to hold it for a good long while - assuming the rail fits the receiver well.

8. 6ShotsOr5?

6ShotsOr5? Gold $$ Contributor

Just what you said, trying to get it to stay put. I’m only going to 20-30 inch pounds now because those #10 Torx kept breaking anyway. I’ve already bedded the high end with JB Weld and torqued down the low end to 30 in-pounds with purple loctite on them. Now I’m going to wait several days before putting in the high-end screws and I’m gonna only go 10-15 pounds on those since there’s JB Weld on that end already.

9. milanuk

milanuk Gold $$ Contributor

Sounds good. I'd love to see pics of the underside of the rail after you have it all done.

10. GNERGY

GNERGY Silver $$ Contributor

Tighten the screws and then take a hammer and your bit and give them a smack, that sets them a little deeper in the threads and then tighten some more. They shouldn't come loose. That is how I have been doing mine since I got my first Unertl scope back in the 70's
    Tarey

Ggmac likes this.
  11. moondog

moondog Gold $$ Contributor

I had the same issue with a Savage over and over. Murphy base bedded, not glued.
    It was the stainless screws. Never came loose again after they got changed.

Ggmac likes this.
  12. Ggmac

Ggmac Gold $$ Contributor

Bed it , it'll work !