Parallax shift

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by Jalen, Oct 10, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Jalen

Jalen

What causes a parallax shift? Is it temperature or barometric pressure? I’m shot 2 days ago it was 55F and 30.19”. I shot again yesterday at 68F and 29.93”. The parallax settings were different at each yardage marker (did the whole head nodding without touching the rifle until the reticle didn’t move at least vertically can never get the horizontal movement out of my NightForce 5-25 ATACR but I guess that’s be a different topic). Anyways the setting were different by a fair amount on the two days so I’m just wondering what is the cause of that?

2. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Different refractivity of the atmosphere

3. Jalen

Jalen

Thanks that clears a bit up. any idea on why I can’t seem to get the horizontal parallax out but have no problem getting rid of the vertical?

4. Dusty Stevens

Never seen that before

SPJ likes this.
  5. 338rumshooter

338rumshooter Gold $$ Contributor

Are you squared up on the scope left and right?

6. Dusty Stevens

moving back and forth to check parallax

7. Jalen

Jalen

I believe so, I always index the rifle on target then myself straight behind it

8. Jalen

Jalen

I move my head up and down to check vertical and left and right to check horizontal is that what you mean?

mikegaiz likes this.
  9. Dusty Stevens

I was talking to the other guy who asked if you were moving your head while checking parallax

10. SPJ

SPJ Silver $$ Contributor

I do not pay any attention to the range indicator on the parallax turret.
    Just me of course

M-61 and Bc'z like this.
  11. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

I find I'm usually dialed a lil past specified yardage on parilax knob to get clearest picture.

SPJ likes this.
  12. Milo 2.0

Milo 2.0 Gold $$ Contributor

I shouldn't, but light conditions dictate a lot of this, the next hour you may need to be focused 100 yards in front of said target.
    I got into buying Kahles optics in the last 3 yrs, and most of my understanding concerning parallax kinda went out the door. I can set my parallax at 300 and run targets to 1350 without even a bump of the knob.
    I also run a couple F1 NF atacr's, you can experience the same some days, but on other days you wonder just how many spins the knob is supposed to yield in it's lifetime, because you work it hard.
    I honestly do not get horizontal parallax w/o vertical, and would love to see it.

Bc'z and luckeeshot like this.
  13. M-61

M-61 "Quis Separabit" Gold $$ Contributor

Yes same here. There really shouldn't be any numbers or anything on that knob. The picture is either parallax free or it is not. The other thing it is NOT is a range finder.
    Somewhere I read about how that knob should be turned meaning, all the way in one direction and then stop when parallax is gone. Not to keep going back and forth with it. Unfortunately I do not recall where I read this nor do I recall the procedure however it has something to do with the mechanics inside the scope. I'm reaching here.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    Milo 2.0 likes this.
  14. Jalen

Jalen

I don’t use the numbers on the parallax knob to line up with the yardage I’m shooting either. I will record it for a reference to see if a pattern develops. That might be a waste of time but it’s not hurting anything either.

Milo: I can try to record the horizontal shift while the vertical doesn’t move with my cell phone next time I’m at the range but I’m not sure how that will turn out... I’ll do my best though

15. Milo 2.0

I did not say it was not going on, do try. I am not a scope connoisseur, parallax as I understand, focus to clear sight pic, no fuzz on the edges, lol

16. Milo 2.0

Last time I was in a scope thread, someone told me I needed an eye exam, no, I need to quit reading his posts, I'm good

pirate ammo, jepp2, SPJ and 2 others like this.
  17. shoot4fun

shoot4fun Gold $$ Contributor

I have several NF NXS scopes and a couple NF ATACR SFP scopes. While I never have issue with setting parallax on the NXS I always (read never) have problems getting it correct for the ATACR.
    To make things even more "fun" I have four NF Comp scopes and they don't deal me fits on parallax like the ATACR.

18. Milo 2.0

I do know that the ATACR and the F1 ATACR only share the name. The F1 has better glass, way bigger eyebox, a fraction of the tunneling from 5-7 power, and way less travel on the focus knob. I'm not saying it is any easier to focus though. It eats my lunch on occasion. The old NXS were sweet scopes.

shoot4fun likes this.
  19. Jalen

Jalen

So I contacted NF and got this back “When they check the optic in the final stage of assembly they only check up and down. He told me you can often times get them close but more often than not going side to side will cause varied results. The other thing in real world shooting rather in the factory environment is mirage. This comes form both the atmospheric conditions and the rifle barrel, both will influence what you are seeing. Try to just check for parallax using vertical movement and see if that helps.”

Milo 2.0 likes this.
  20. dedogs

dedogs Gold $$ Contributor

Did the rep say why that is? Not trying to pick a fight, just curious. dedogs