Panda Barrel Swaps

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by MikeMcCasland, Nov 24, 2019.

1. MikeMcCasland

MikeMcCasland Gold $$ Contributor

Hey Guys,

I just purchased a 2nd Panda action, and am planning on setting it up as a secondary F-T/R rig (it'll basically be identical to my primary). It's my intention to pull the barrel as soon as I find a good load for it, which will probably be fairly quick.

That said, I also want to use the action to mess around with on the weekends informally @ 300 yards, so I intend to get a 30BR barrel (or something similar) chambered up for it.

For those that are swapping barrels, how long does it typically take?

Will I need to pull the stock & scope to do this, or can I clamp the vise further towards the muzzle end? (I know you glued and screwed guys have to be doing this). It'll be running HV contour barrels if that matters.

How is the repeatability on POI? Could I conceivably swap barrels in the parking lot of a match if needed?

Thanks in advance!
    Mike

2. Tim Singleton

Tim Singleton Gold $$ Contributor

Takes about 2 mins to swap. I leave scope on
    Poi will vary from barrel to barrel
    Sight the new one in find your load and record your scope windage and elevation marks.
    Screw it back on adjust scope and you will be real close

Pappy42, joshb, jimmymac and 4 others like this.
  3. Tim s

Tim s

Super easy. Need an action wrench and a barrel vise( both not expensive). Clamp barrel, put wrench in, pop it with hand, done.
    Some guys don’t even pull the scope although it is probably a good idea.
    Biggest thing to remember is always put anti seize on threads.
    Some POI will be close, some as much as 12” or so.

MikeMcCasland likes this.
  4. MikeMcCasland

Appreciate the responses. Does it being a HV contour screw with anything? Assuming I can leave it in the stock, the closest I'd be able to clamp to would be ~10" from the breech.

Was planning to tack weld a barrel vise to a trailer hitch.

SPJ likes this.
  5. Tim Singleton

Not at all leave it in the stock.
    Clamp it close to stock as you can without danger of scratching is all

Pappy42 and MikeMcCasland like this.
  6. Tim Singleton

WyleWD likes this.
  7. MikeMcCasland

Appreciate the link; I'll get one ordered.

Can I just carry a 3/8ths cordless impact with me to use with the vise, or does it have to be torqued to a specific value.

Thanks again!
    Mike

8. Jdne5b

Jdne5b Gold $$ Contributor

I bought some 6 inch c-clamps and can clamp to most benches. Trailer hitch would be nice in a pinch but dont need anything that sturdy at what I torque mine to. PMA hex end action wrench and a 3/8 torque wrench from HF plus two sockets and my switch barrel tools are complete.

My stocks are inlet for 1.250 straight, so differing barrel contours dont matter either. If you have a Heavy Palma inlet, a HV wont work.

9. Tim Singleton

Just a box end wrench for the vise gotta be basically tight as you can pull it

10. Tim Singleton

I prefer a T- handle action wrench.
    I feel like I can get more even leverage

jimmymac and comagutsa like this.
  11. farmerjohn

farmerjohn Gold $$ Contributor

Just a snap of the wrist tight is all I have used for years and have never had one loosen. Takes a hard bump with the heel of my hand to loosen with a 3/4 standard combo wrench. I just lightly coat with red grease, got tired of the damn mess that never sieze makes ..

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
    Dgd6mm and waltkrafft like this.
  12. waltkrafft

waltkrafft Gold $$ Contributor

It is very important to keep the threads and mating surfaces clean and free of dirt. If it feels like it is gauling or getting tight before it should, STOP! Do not try to force it together.

jimmymac and farmerjohn like this.
  13. farmerjohn

farmerjohn Gold $$ Contributor

What he says! We swap barrels often during the week prairie dogging and always carry brake cleaner to flush the threads out with should you drop a barrel and sealed barrel wraps to carry the extra barrels in. Good threads are real smooth, if it isn't stop and see what's wrong... after you change several you will know what to look for, there's nothing to it and you will see how tight is enough.
    John

14. Tim s

Tim s

One other thing to remember, IMHO do not clamp the barrel directly into the vice, you need a buffer.
    I use a couple slips of target paper top/bottom between barrel and vise blocks. Use some type of rosin on barrel under the paper, I shave a little pool chalk....works perfect for soft grip.

15. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

No way id ever pop a barrel loose with a good precision scope- but thats just me. Sometimes it breaks loose violently. I try to only jar my scopes with recoil. Ive had too many go bad to take chances.

jamesdmock, RMiller and jimmymac like this.
  16. comagutsa

comagutsa

How I change my barrels on panda glued in stock

MikeMcCasland, michaeljp65 and dmoran like this.
  17. 1shot

1shot

If you are referring to the silver/grey nasty smelling stuff as anti seize I would recommend against it. I ask the former lead riflesmith Greg Walley about it and his response was NEVER use it! It is and abrasive that won't do the threads on the bbl. or receiver any favors. Instead, use the green grease supplied from Kelbly's on the mated surfaces. I believe it's called Prolong and is available from many sources.
    I hope this helps,

Lloyd

jepp2 likes this.
  18. coldboreshot

coldboreshot

Agreed. There's even a specific Panda/Rem offset action wrench for breaking the torque of a barrel while the barreled action is still in the stock. PMA tool sells such a wrench. It can be found elsewhere as well. As stated in other replies, quick and easy.

19. BartsBullets

BartsBullets Gold $$ Contributor

Got to support Dusty a 100 percent on this one. I remove my scope when I’m taking a barrel off.

Bart

jimmymac likes this.
  20. jimmymac

jimmymac Gold $$ Contributor

Even with a T-handle action wrench? Thanks.