Palma Alliance 2018

Discussion in 'Competition Forum (All Calibers)' started by mgunderson, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Mudcat

Mudcat Gold $$ Contributor

I am #65 and my son is #66. All Palma, all the time!

corning and mgunderson like this.
  2. spclark

spclark Gold $$ Contributor

What happens to their number when a ‘blooded’ Alliance member commits the ultimate sin, gets excommunicated?

(Just curious mind you, I’m not contemplating anything sinful.)

mgunderson likes this.
  3. Erud

Erud Gold $$ Contributor

Marty, you are #67 - welcome, brother. I will mail your welcome packet tomorrow.

Steve, they are dead to us. Their numbers no longer matter.

effendude likes this.
  4. Steffen Bunde

Steffen Bunde

Kind of reminds me of Novatian and Cyprian.

Erud likes this.
  5. Erud

Erud Gold $$ Contributor

That’s where we got the idea!

Steffen Bunde likes this.
  6. jim1903a1

jim1903a1

Can I join? Sent the email. The only thing I shoot with a scope is my service rifle....and that's because I'm old and that front sight is too dang close. I will shoot the irons as long as I can see them.

mgunderson and Erud like this.
  7. Rtheurer

Rtheurer

Can I join?

mgunderson and Erud like this.
  8. Erud

Erud Gold $$ Contributor

Jim,
    I got your email, you are in. Member #68, your member packet will go out in Monday’s mail.

Russ,
    I’ve been saving #69 for you since day 1! .If you’re serious, send me your mailing address.

Mudcat likes this.
  9. Mudcat

Mudcat Gold $$ Contributor

While I am no crystal ball owning fortune teller, I have a sneaky suspicion that member number is about to climb, a good bit, here soon. :)

corning, Erud and mgunderson like this.
  10. Mr. Ten-X

Mr. Ten-X

Long ago in a land far, far away, I was ridiculed and looked upon with disdain by a group of Palma Snobs at the local range because I did not fire the Holy Grail of "official" bullets in my very first Palma Match (where I utterly destroyed them by 25 points). The next Palma my Paramount was in front using 180gr Wayne's Whistlers by only a mere 10 points. The #2155 of the day held little appeal for me (1995) other than for 600yd events, where I used it exclusively. They shot pretty danged well for that purpose however.

Fast forward to Camp Perry in '97 where the 1999 team tryouts were being held. A switch was made just prior to that event using the SIE #2155 (aka, Barbie Bullet...aka Copper Sail). Think I ended up 6th in the Tompkins Agg just prior to the tryout using the #2155's and irons in all events. It really didn't take much to get adjusted to them because I rarely touch the sight once I center up in my firing parameter, preferring to have patience to wait out conditions using the old "you crank the knob and you will lose" philosophy. Was sold on 2155's ever since that day because I knew that if I didn't REALLY learn them well, my personal goals could not be met.

My #2155 scores equaled the highest 1000yd/Palma scores I'd ever fired using those 180 VLD's, but the X-counts were actually higher using the little Barbie Bullet.

Not long after that timeframe, I witnessed the MWPC get won by a shooter using the #2155 with irons in all events (he may have done it twice). The same for the Tomkins Agg at Perry...some young shooter named Fox won the whole shooting match with those 155's and irons.

Now, does a big bullet really yield a distinct advantage over the 155's? Well, simply look at F-TR class results. There's a lot to be said for 185, 200 and 215gr low drag bullets. A Palma shooter using them "can" have an advantage under the right conditions. But, they don't allow them in International rules. The only people that should worry about using the 155gr pills are those smart enough to recognize that they had better learn them if their goal is a medal or two under those specific rules or if they ever have a desire to coach shooters running 155's. Otherwise, shoot whatever floats your boat.

Mittry likes this.
  11. corning

corning

Interesting story. I bought my Palma rifle in the mid 1990's, from which time I have exclusively used 155's. Prior to that, I had used 190's beyond 600 yards, and 168's from 600 yards and in. To be perfectly honest, I enjoy shooting the Palma rifle and 155's more than any of the other .308 bullets I have have shot prior to them. I have found the the advantage to the 155's, over the 190's, to be that the reduced recoil allows for a better follow-thru, and faster re-acquisition of the target. Granted the heavier bullets are less sensitive to wind related drift, but the 155's can be driven a bit faster. For now, any bullet can be used for Palma shooting in the US, however, US fullbore rules still require 155's, as do international rules, as you mentioned. All in all, I like the 155's, and will continue to use them as long as I am able to shoot slung up. I would also argue that if one wants to play in the Palma game, one should play by the Palma rules, and that would include using 155 grain bullets.

John

12. Rtheurer

Rtheurer

Russ,
    I’ve been saving #69 for you since day 1! .If you’re serious, send me your mailing address.[/QUOTE]

I Did this for 5 years from 2010 till 2015... Its time to play with other stuff. Your a little late to the game for me... sorry. Best of Luck to you and the guys. I will continue to support you in your endevour however I can... Of course you already know that.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  13. Erud

Erud Gold $$ Contributor

Yeah, I figured it was too good to be true... :(

14. bsn

bsn

Its time to play with other stuff. Your a little late to the game for me... sorry.

You had me worried for a minute Russ, I thought the cold had gotten to you!

15. Rtheurer

Rtheurer

Sure sounds like Mitch LOL.

16. mgunderson

mgunderson sling shooter Gold $$ Contributor

Erud keeps telling me this is not the easy path.

17. corning

corning

Nah, it's as easy as shooting an X. :D

mgunderson likes this.
  18. mgunderson

mgunderson sling shooter Gold $$ Contributor

What about 300m matches?

19. corning

corning

Sounds like fullbore to me...155's, all the way! :)

My sights won't go down far enough for me to shoot less than 800 yards. Once I get a adjustable front sight, I'll shoot mid-range/fullbore with 155's.

Erud and mgunderson like this.
  20. Erud

Erud Gold $$ Contributor

John, you just need to work on your "shading" technique! ;)

corning and mgunderson like this.