Painting a barrel?

Discussion in 'Gun Project Questions & Gunsmithing' started by Remfarmer, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Remfarmer

Remfarmer

I just got my rifle back from the gunsmith. I want to be able to hunt with it but the shiny new Stainless steel is just that, shiny. I want to have it Teflon or cerecoated but time has run out. What harm would it be to paint it a flat/satin black for the season then bead blast and coat in January? If I paint it should I prime as well? Comments?

2. Ggmac

Ggmac

I use a rust oleum semi or flat engine paint . Easy to spray on and pretty good with cleaning chemicals . No problem in removing . I'd scotchbrite the shiny barrel before applying the paint .

joshb likes this.
  3. gunsandgunsmithing

gunsandgunsmithing The best tuners and wind flags on the market Gold $$ Contributor

No harm, it just won't hold up well. Why not just bead blast it to a matte ss finish?

Sniper338 likes this.
  4. Sniper338

Sniper338 Silver $$ Contributor

Ive had a barrel bead blasted to a matte stainless.. no issues hunting.. have a bunch that are shiny stainless, still never had a problem hunting...

5. Intheshop

Intheshop

You can spray bomb it and remove it easy enough.

One thing we do on shiny bow limbs(longbows,recurves) that we don't want to paint....take some wax and halfarse smear it on,don't polish.It'll kill the shine and it wipes right off.Beeswax or paraffin (canning wax from grocery store).

6. AckleymanII

AckleymanII Gold $$ Contributor

In a pinch, my hunting rifle barrels get Walmart's camo duct tape. Some have stuck their nose up at tape, till they get a shooting demonstration.

After season is over, check out Black Chrome...it will never rub off...no reflection.

I have painted a lot of my own barrels, see Gmac's post.

wholman and Ggmac like this.
  7. Remfarmer

Remfarmer

I wish I had requested bead blasting upfront. I really wanted to hunt this year with this rifle and if I thought it would have been ready now I would have.

8. NickB1075

NickB1075 Gold $$ Contributor

You can do the bead blast yourself. I hate to say it but, before I got a proper blast cabinet. I used the small harbor freight gun and their glass media. Don't get me wrong there is no substitute for a proper cabinet but it can be done so you can get hunting.

Nick

9. Ggmac

Ggmac

I forgot AckleymanIIs idea , tape . Easy on easy off . Change to suit season and location .

10. JRS

JRS Silver $$ Contributor

Since this is temporary, use a cheap camo T-shirt. Cut out a section and wrap it around the barrel. You can secure it with a couple of rubber bands.

joshb likes this.
  11. tn6br

tn6br Silver $$ Contributor

They make a material similar to 3m vet wrap bandage material that only sticks to itself you can wrap your barrel and scope with it and then remove it easily with no residue and it is even reusable. I bought mine at cabelas. It comes in multiple camouflage pattern

joshb likes this.
  12. Preacher

Preacher Silver $$ Contributor

I paint zillions of barrels with Rustoleum Professional flat Black rattle cans and it holds up very good..

mac86951, SSL and joshb like this.
  13. Will Henry

Will Henry

I once was in a hurry to "matte" a barrel so I just dabbed Tremclad flat back on with a brush with the intent being to do a better job of it after the hunt. That was twelve years ago and it's still being hunted with the same finish. I cleaned the barrel with brake cleaner first. WH

14. Kurz

Kurz

Remfarmer,

There is no reason whatsoever to go to the bother of bead blasting and painting your barrel for this short term use.

All you need is some camouflage tape applied to the shiny parts and trimmed to fit. You don't even have to remove the barreled action from the stock. If you change locations, change the tape.

I bought a brand new, shiny shotgun right before duck hunting season. If you have hunted ducks, you know they will flare off at the least little thing that doesn't look right. I bought some camouflage tape and voilĂ , excellent camouflage and no ducks lost to reflections.

Best.

15. earlcurtis67

earlcurtis67 Silver $$ Contributor

This is what I did, works well, doesn't change POI.