Overpriced?

Discussion in 'Gun Project Questions & Gunsmithing' started by theMadAlaskan, Feb 10, 2019.

1. theMadAlaskan

theMadAlaskan Gold $$ Contributor

2. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Not overpriced at all. I bet it cost that much in 1984

3. butchlambert

butchlambert Site $$ Sponsor

Looks well tooled. Over priced??

4. carlsbad

carlsbad Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep. Gold $$ Contributor

Interesting dilemma. SB fans originally are attracted to the old machines because of the low price. Then if you become emotionally attached, an "enthusiast" so to say, you would be interested in this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. But you were financially challenged is why you ended up with a SB in the first place.

So you need to find a SB Enthusiast who has become much more financially capable since they bought their first one. --Jerry

5. Dusty Stevens

I feel like that lathe is way older than 1984 having the wheel for the auto feed instead of the lever. Thats 23x the lathe as a chicom piece you can buy new. A true piece of american iron thatll last 3 more lifetimes.

6. SDWhirlwind

SDWhirlwind

If it were a 10L instead of the 10K would make a bit more sense. 2yrs ago a 10K here sold at a repair shop estate auction for $2100. Almost all of the frosting from scraping still present. This gent was second owner since new in '61. However no gear box, collet setup or anything, actually naked compared to this. I thought $1500 would be tops but someone from out of the area thought different.

7. Dusty Stevens

another thing I cant figure out is how they have a collet system on a 10L because the non heavy 10 version has a lot smaller spindle bore

8. Prose

Prose

3,500 would probably be a very reasonable price

9. pdhntr

pdhntr

Boy does that tug at the heart strings. I used to have one of those.

Jim

10. sdean

sdean Gold $$ Contributor

You can buy a really nice new Taiwan made lathe for $10,000 and the barrel would fit through the headstock.

ppc likes this.
  11. GenePoole

GenePoole

Probably 3C collets, not 5C.

Dusty Stevens likes this.
  12. Don

Don Gold $$ Contributor

A trip in time for me ! I went to Washburn Trade School in the Early 70's.
    We had all this Bad Boy's younger Brothers all from Navy Ships .
    They did us well …..
    To be Young Again....
    Don

13. akajun

akajun

For that price you can buy a very nice 12-16" used machine with a DRO like a Leblond, Monarch, Harrison, or decent Taiwan machine and a buttload of tooling and a tru bore alignment system and still have money in your pocket.

14. swd

swd Gold $$ Contributor

The guy that buys that will be because he has money and can pay for nostalgia and he just wants it. Not that it’s not a great lathe but because it’s NOS and collectible to him. It probably won’t go for what he’s asking but it will go for a lot more than the guys just looking to use it for general use will pay. A nice find for the right guy.

hogpatrol likes this.
  15. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Gold $$ Contributor

Going to stir the pot here. Maybe someone can get the popcorn.

I would NOT buy this lathe. Any machine that sits for an extended period of time is going to have problems and can take some time, money and work to get it running.

As far as the price, I'd buy something I could do REAL work on. I've run a lot of lathes and look at these as hobby shop lightweights, i.e, NO HORSEPOWER.

Edit: Some of that tooling, I've thrown in the scrap can, the Armstrong tool holders for example. So yeah, WAAAY overpriced.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  16. Riesel

Riesel Gold $$ Contributor

This is for Jay Leno

paperpuncher and hogpatrol like this.
  17. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Gold $$ Contributor

Either that or an auction house.

swd likes this.
  18. butchlambert

butchlambert Site $$ Sponsor

The guys on the Practical Machinist Forum said it has been mentioned on their forum many times.

Gun Smith likes this.
  19. spitfire_er

spitfire_er Silver $$ Contributor

Can't remember what year, but sometime in the 80's or 90's the 10K's were produced in S. Korea if memory serves. I had one of these a couple years ago.

Ask if you can take a test cut :)

hogpatrol likes this.
  20. theMadAlaskan

theMadAlaskan Gold $$ Contributor

This is about twice my budget, I was curious if it was really worth that much.

I read a long time ago that a man has three major relationships in his life. The first will be like his mother. The second will be a bimbo. The third will be his best friend.

That's kind of where I am with lathes.
    My first was brand new and made in China.
    The second was a 1949 Heavy 10 that looked like it hadn't been cleaned since 1950. I took it apart down to the last nut and washer, cleaned everything, completlely rewired from the motor out, new felts and evrything adjusted per spec. Sold it for $600 more than I had in it, probably made $3/hr on my time but it was a lot of fun!

Now I'm looking for my best friend.

hogpatrol likes this.