Ordering 5lbs and 10lbs boxes of welding rod? Bolt Welding??

Discussion in 'Advanced Gunsmithing & Engineering' started by mauser284, Sep 6, 2019.

1. mauser284

mauser284

So I am am going to be welding up an exhaust manifold (cast iron) and was going to order either Tech-Rod 99 or 55 or something similar and was wondering which would be the best to use for welding a bolt handle. I have a classic AC/DC Red Tomb Stone shaped Lincoln Arc Welder. It is too easy to add a pound of another item to the order to save on shipping latter on.

I would instinctively go with Tech-Rod 99 since it is 99% Nickle and cleans up much easier and is much more machinable. That level of nickle though would be an issue if you tried to blue it. I was wondering if even 55% Ni would be problematic as well?!?!?!I am assuming it too would be an issue.

Oh I also have OA or O/A gear so I could go that route too. I do not have TIG or I would surely use TIG.

Either way I am not sure what alloy I should look for in the filler to make sure I have the option of blueing later on should I want to blue it or another owner down the line? Thanks guys!

The more I ask this the more I think I should go the other direction and go for a general rod and look for silicone content to make it friendly with dissimilar metals and such! I feel like a dog chasing my own tail! LOL

Thanks guys!

2. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Are you going to try to stick weld a bolt handle? They call it micro-tig for a reason. 0C69C517-9206-4144-886E-52DDC25FAAA6.jpeg
    68C495B8-5F43-494F-A0FF-90C7D7074C72.jpeg

jepp2 likes this.
  3. billlarson

billlarson "Hold Into The Wind" Gold $$ Contributor

Stick welding bolt handles is possible.i,ve done it BUT there are better ways...silver solder is better and tig welding is better yet with little clean up...
    bill

Pwc, zeke06 and Preacher like this.
  4. Downhill

Downhill

Been a welder for 33 years. My advice, TIG weld it. Stick welding would produce excessive build up requiring substantial materiel removal for operation. And the appearance probably would not be all that appealing.

jepp2 and hpshooter like this.
  5. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Somebody posted this pic of some fine firearm welding
    50FCB9C2-2565-46ED-A0EF-6EA5C531A6E3.jpeg

6. Downhill

Downhill

Dusty, that is kinda what I was referring to. Don't think I would call that a "weld" though.

7. jds holler

jds holler Gold $$ Contributor

So I says to Bubba, "That Ranch Rifle doesn't group fer crap!" "Do ya think I'd oughta put a scope on it?"

Bubba says, "Whyncha drop it off, and I'll fix it up for ya."

50FCB9C2-2565-46ED-A0EF-6EA5C531A6E3.jpeg

Dusty Stevens and jepp2 like this.
  8. butchlambert

butchlambert Site $$ Sponsor

Well, it's a Ruger. Cheaper and better to send your bolts to Dan Armstrong.

okie and Dusty Stevens like this.
  9. okie

okie Gold $$ Contributor

hey!! thats my rifle--how'd you get that pic????!!!

Dusty Stevens likes this.