Optics for hunting?

Discussion in 'Scopes, Optics, LRFs, Spotters, BoreScopes' started by Beltfire, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Beltfire

Beltfire

I guess a typical optical scope is useless for archery, even though I've seen some people use it. I have no idea if it's not there just for show, maybe not, though I highly doubt how effective that could be.
    Anyways, I can imagine how one type of scope can be effective for bow hunting. I'm talking of spotting scopes, of course. And I think of purchasing one. But I'm not sure which one I should get. The Minox MD is one of the best of them, and the cheapest one, but I'm not sure just how good it is. Others are more expensive, and I'm not sure just how much they can offer.
    Any advice?

2. JRS

JRS Silver $$ Contributor

Scopes are typically used on crossbows. I don't know how you would use one on a compound, longbow or recurve. Unless you are looking for animals at very long distances, you don't need a spotting scope for bowhunting. Use your binoculars.

Beltfire and SSL like this.
  3. SSL

SSL

+1 on binoculars. Far easier to carry and to use quickly. A person has enough clutter in their hands with a bow without the added confusion and time setting up a typical spotting scope.

Beltfire likes this.
  4. 284winner

284winner Silver $$ Contributor

The only scope typically used on a bow and I've only seen them on the compound variety is red dot scopes. No magnification but adjustable rheostat. I shoot one and will never go back to traditional style single or multiple pin style sights. It's a Sightron 33mm red dot. I shoot both eyes open with it and love it. Certainly offers no advantage in viewing game from it when not shooting it. Zero magnification.

5. Ledd Slinger

Ledd Slinger Gold $$ Contributor

I don't usually pack a spotting scope while bow hunting, but I did a couple times this year. I have a set of Meopta Meostar HD 10x32 binoculars that are lightweight, compact, and easy to weild one handed.

If you are considering a small spotting scope at an affordable price with great HD glass I would recommend the Cabelas Krotos HD 15-45x65mm. Can be had for about $600 on sale. I use it as a high country pack scope. Its very rugged, has great eye relief, and excellent glass with good low light capability. Will easily rival much more expensive scopes. Cabelas also makes the Krotos HD in 20-60x85mm if you want more power and and even brighter image.

6. Beltfire

Beltfire

Thanks all for great opinions

7. seymour fish

seymour fish

Norman Vincent Peale has the reviews you want