OPINIONS PLEASE

Discussion in 'Rimfire & Smallbore' started by 22BRGUY, Jan 2, 2018.

1. 22BRGUY

22BRGUY Silver $$ Contributor

HI all down here in the southern part of the web page. I have been into center fire stuff for quite a while now and also have one fairly nice 10/22 with a Green Mountain heavy barrel on it that shoots pretty decent for me.
    Several things have happened in the last year that have changed my life around. At any rate I am now considering rim fire 22's more for just shorter range practice and fun but I have always enjoyed accurate well made rifles.
    Just in general terms, I have a chance to buy an older Anschutz that is very nice shape or I can buy a new CZ for about the same money. I know without particulars it's hard to answer this but just maybe some opinions and gut feelings from you guys would be appreciated.
    Thanks Much

2. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Gold $$ Contributor

CZs are nice but I would go for the Annie. Experiment with different types and brands of subsonic ammo and don't look back.

3. nilebartram

nilebartram Silver $$ Contributor

Go for the Anschutz! Do you know what model and is it a 54 action? nilebartram

dickn52 and 22BRGUY like this.
  4. 22BRGUY

Thanks guys for your opinions. I'll try to find out the model and get back. I was planning on doing exactly what you said there patrol.

5. Mark McMahon

Mark McMahon Silver $$ Contributor

Anschutz are very nice, but the CZ 455 is with out a doubt way more versatile, just something to consider

22BRGUY likes this.
  6. 22BRGUY

In what way Mark?

7. Mark McMahon

Quick-change barrel system in 3 calibers, you can change to a different caliber in about 5 minutes very very easy different Barrel configurations, Sporter weight, heavyweight, short long threaded unthreaded not to mention, different stock configurations, everything interchangeable, plus a slew of upgrades for triggers, spring kits Etc, the accuracy is usually excellent

MQ1 and 22BRGUY like this.
  8. Mark McMahon

Forgot to mention that lilja and Fedderson even stocks match grade barrels for the Cz

MQ1 and 22BRGUY like this.
  9. 22BRGUY

Thanks Mark...Really good considerations for sure. I do now that in the pistol world CZ came out with their P-10 C that is just taking the market away from Glock and their model 19 9mm.

10. USMCDOC

USMCDOC Silver $$ Contributor

If you can get your hands on a used CZ 452 American.. then that might be a different ballpark.. There is an old rimfire gunsmith local to me that used to slay all the custom rifles with his 452 in IR50/50 and was using Wolf Match Target too boot.. The 452 American is a threaded barrel instead of slip fit and held with a pin.. Just a thought

22BRGUY likes this.
  11. 1911mag

1911mag

We run matches alongside ARA for informal shoots with different targets at 50 yds and I can't say have seen a CZ shoot but know of couple Anschutz that but up some impressive scores. For what it's worth.

22BRGUY likes this.
  12. Boyd L.

Boyd L.

You mention “general terms”. Does that mean you want a sporter/hunting rifle that can double as a light or sporter competitively? As stated, which model Anschutz? Sporter or target, 54 or 64, all would be factors for me.
    I’ve owned 3 Anschutz and 4 CZ-452 rifles. For my general use my CZs rarely get used anymore, though one of them has been nearly as accurate as my 1712 in past informal sessions.

hogpatrol, 22BRGUY and USMCDOC like this.
  13. Shynloco

Shynloco You can lead a horse to water, but ........ Silver $$ Contributor

I can say with confidence, there has NEVER been (in competition) a CZ that can keep up with an Anschutz. I used to shoot competition Rimfire using an Anschutz MPR 64 and BR50 and have seen many many variations of both rifle and have never seen a CZ outshoot an Anschutz when shot by a competent shooter. And as Hog wrote, seek out the top grade Rimfire Ammo's guys are using in competition to test in your rifle to get the best results. And for general knowledge, Rimfire Rifles are more sensitive to ammos (alot has to do with the coating material) and finding the right ammo can make the difference of a few points that either puts you in first place or 5th place. Also. NEVER assume what works in one Rimfire Rifle, will work in another, even when made by the same manufacturer. But good luck and have fun which ever way you go!

Also, if you get a chance, get hold of a copy of "The Rifleman's Guide to Rimfire Ammunition" written by Steven Boelter. Steve will give you loads of insight on not only ammo's, but his extensive knowledge via association with the Anschutz brothers in Germany who give him their rifles to test. Tons of info there as well as the website, Rimfire Central where Steve sometimes posts.

Alex

hogpatrol and 22BRGUY like this.
  14. holstil

holstil Silver $$ Contributor

I think it comes down to what you want to use it for. I've shot Annie's, they are nice for sure. I have a Cz 455 that hammers. I'd love to see what a good shooter could do with it.
    If you say for the same as 455, heck, buy em both!

22BRGUY likes this.
  15. flatlander

flatlander

All my experience with Anschutz rifles has been with a couple of very nice single shot prone rifles - a 1611 & 2011. Wouldn't trade them for anything else in the world for conventional prone smallbore shooting. But when it comes to a wider range of types of 22RF shooting - like NRL22 or other PRS-style 22RF shooting, plinking, or hunting, a single shot rifle isn't what I'd look for - and some of the Anschutz repeaters are not 100% reliable where ejection is concerned. One of the clubs I shoot with holds 22RF PR matches with a wide variety of positions on various targets (paper & steel) from 25-225yds. These matches are a great deal of fun, and very challenging. There were 3-4 guys who showed up for the very first one of these matches last summer with CZ 455 trainers in Boyds Tacticool & Manners T6 stocks, and they were giving the fancier, higher priced Anschutz & 40X repeaters a run for the money. No, they do not simulate or replicate a full-size CF precision rifle if you're looking for something like that for use as a trainer. But they do shoot pretty darned good, and are a lot lighter than a precision 22RF that weighs 13-14lbs because it's built on a full-size barreled action in a full-sized stock.

USMCDOC and 22BRGUY like this.
  16. 22BRGUY

Thanks all for good suggestions. On looking closer at the Anschutz, it turned out to be a Savage Anschutz mark 12 which is ok but not the quality that I had thought it to be. I thank Boyd for his help in doing some research on it. Anyway, for now I think I'll hold off and do more research. Those CZ's still look interesting as well.

holstil and USMCDOC like this.
  17. djdilliodon

djdilliodon Silver $$ Contributor

There is a big difference here all depending on exactly what Anschutz it is. If you can get it for the price of a cz, my gut tells me it’s an old savage/Anschutz which if that’s the case I’d take the CZ. If it was a newer based 64 action like a 1416 which is a little longer and thicker I’d buy 50 right now at the price of a cz lol. A single shot 54 is only really useful from a bench and if an older model these sell cheap for a reason. If a Repeater 54 like a newer version 1710/1712, I’d buy 500 of them right now for the price of a cz lol.

The cz’s are nice all around rifles and when modded correctly using a custom fitted match barrel can shoot lights out. The same can be done with the Annie’s and if you know them well you can fix the feed issues and ejection issues. Really comes down to budget, type of accuracy your looking for, and what style shooting you will do.

USMCDOC and holstil like this.
  18. kapt

kapt Silver $$ Contributor

"I can say with confidence, there has NEVER been (in competition) a CZ that can keep up with an Anschutz"

I will second that statement with full support. I have tuned custom rimfire rifles most with RBLB and benchmark and Kreiger barrels in custom 3" stocks. Have shot everything from TenX to Wolf over the past 30 years. I shoot unlimited ARA , IR5050 and In factory class matches with a Anschutz 54 super match (1967 year) and have won my share of them and set more than one record.
    If you are going to buy an Annie, stay away from the Savage/Anschutz unless you know going in the triggers are entirely different and not much can be done with them.

In factory class matches ( 50 & 100 Yards) , given equal shooter ability who have figured out their guns favorite ammo,
    Anschutz's will take the top 3-5 places 98% of the time.

19. cmillard

cmillard

so does KSS--benchmark and shilen barrels

20. Bill K

Bill K

I have the CZ American 455 in 17HMR and like it very well. But if given the chance to pick up it or the Arnie for about the same price, believe I would go with the Arnie, as most reports show it too be the more accurate. Just a thought to think about. But the CZ will do a fine job, in any caliber. Bill K

holstil likes this.