Opinions, Please - Options For New Build

Discussion in '6PPC, 6-6.5x47, 6XC, 6 Rem, 243' started by JLT, Sep 13, 2017.

1. JLT

JLT Gold $$ Contributor

I welcome your opinions with respect to the following:

I have a couple of Remington 700 SAs sitting around and I plan on building two relatively lightweight hunting rigs, one for my 14 year old daughter and one for my wife. Intended use - varmints, feral hogs, deer, fun at the range.

I've settled on a 6x47L for one of them, the one for my daughter. She's a natural but new to centerfire rifle and I want to build her something that is versatile/capable but easy to handle.

Now for my wife's rifle. She's a rookie behind a rifle trigger but she's shot her share of 12 ga. target loads to reasonably good effect on clays, so she's accustomed to recoil. I'm kicking around .243 Win., .243 AI, 6.5x47L, .260 Rem, .260 AI and 7mm-08. Considerations for each follow.

The straight .243 Win has quite a bit of objective support, given the availability of a wide variety of factory ammunition and its ability to shoot a big range of bullet weights well. It will handle varmints very capably and it will do a fine job on medium game with the right bullet. Flipping the coin over, I can't remember the last time I bought a box of factory ammo for centerfire rifle, thereby diminishing the factory ammunition argument. It does burn quite a bit of powder in a little hole, so barrel life is not long, but this will be a hunting rifle - 2,000 rounds of hunting accuracy is a life time. 6mm bullet selection remains a strong plus.

The .243 AI - everything the .243 is, plus 200 fps and a little shorter barrel life. I currently load for a .243 AI, so the components are on hand. Feeding from a mag is not as reliable as the straight .243. Fire formed Lapua brass doesn't seem to require trimming EVER, so that's a big plus for me - I hate trimming brass. Lastly, I've found the .243 AI remarkably easy to tune for accuracy.

6.5x47L - I'm leaning this way, but not definitively. Feeds well from a magazine, its accuracy is well established, huge selection of very good 6.5mm bullets, pretty good barrel life and it's the parent case for the 6x47L, thereby simplifying things on the loading bench. The 6.5 brings substantially heavier bullets into the picture v. the 6mm, adding to the flexibility. The only downside I can think of is the occasional supply problem with brass.

.260 Rem - I've always thought that one could make a compelling argument that the .260 Rem is among the very best medium game chamberings out there. Lots of good bullets from which to choose, feeds like crap through a goose, accurate, easy to handle - what's not to like? It does give up some bullet seating flexibility to the 6.5x47L (longer case, shorter neck).

.260 AI - Same thing applies here as with the .243 and the .243 AI. I currently load for the .260 AI, so fire forming and case prep are a wash. I'm not about to give up my .260 AIs!

7mm-08 - One of my go-to deer rifles is a 7mm-08. This choice is more biased to the medium game side of things and it does offer additional capability that comes with greater bullet weight. Perhaps not as versatile as the 6.5s.

So, what say you? As I mentioned, I'm leaning toward the 6.5x47L but not in a huge way. Thanks in advance.

2. Mozella

Mozella

If it were me I would pick something without too much recoil but which would still kill a deer, perhaps a 6.5 47 Lapua or a 6.5 Creedmoor might be a good choice. Just because you wife can handle recoil doesn't mean she likes it. (I'm guessing here).

You can buy off the shelf reloading components and factory ammo for these two cartridges as well, including some pretty darn good factory ammo. Once you make a decision, build both guns with the same caliber. You'll save a LOT of money not having to purchase all the stuff which is associated with setting up for a new caliber. I'm doing that now and the list of stuff you need is HUGE and it ain't cheap either. Plus, if you're reloading, you don't have to change your set up to reload for your wife and your daughter.

JLT likes this.
  3. JLT

JLT Gold $$ Contributor

I hear you, my friend. The secondary needs and decisions add up fast!

One of the things that argues for the 6x47L/6.5x47L choices is the relative simplicity of the reloading set up. All I need is a FL S die - I already have a drawer full of 6 mm and 6.5 mm bushings. I do find your suggestion of identical chamberings attractive though. I'm going to chew on that one for a bit. I can just see myself seating 6.5 mm bullets in a 6 mm neck.

4. JBT

JBT Gold $$ Contributor

I like your idea of 6x47 Lap and 6.5x47 Lap.

JLT likes this.
  5. jr600yd

jr600yd

Can't go wrong with a straight 260. Factory ammo, easy to reload, no fire-forming, accurate, what's not to like?

JLT likes this.
  6. snert

snert Gold $$ Contributor

Hard questions, but...
    Will she shoot enough to wear it out? if no, then barrel burning doesn't matter
    Will she shoot it enough, and well enough that all the incantations to AI matter? If not, the why? except that you may want to.

With that in mind, i would just build two matching guns, or maybe go with a 6 and 6.5 L

Or you could assure she is the best on the range and able to shoot 1000 yards, (if wearing her 511's) build a Creedmore!! ;)

JLT likes this.
  7. Sniper338

Sniper338 Silver $$ Contributor

Id do a 6br before a 6x47.. jmo and done it already. Hands down a fabulous round for a young girl or wife... my wife shoots one..

Nothing to gain doing a 6x47.... 6br is stupid accurate, and stupid easy to load for.

As for the second gun, 6.5x47 or 260. Both are good.

The less recoil the more fun it is for women to shoot.. and shoot more.. just my experience..

JLT likes this.
  8. JLT

JLT Gold $$ Contributor

This one is definitely in the running. Given the recoil considerations, I'd probably load the 123 - 130 grain bullets for hunting and the 100 - 107 grain bullets for the smaller stuff, so bullet seating depth would not be much of a problem in the 700 SA. 140s might be a bit cramped, but they're not really in the picture.

I agree - What's not to like?

jr600yd likes this.
  9. JLT

JLT Gold $$ Contributor

If she does shoot it enough to wear the barrel, I'll happily and with a giant smile on my face spin another barrel on it! As for the AI, I already load for three AIs, the .243 and the .260 among them, so it really doesn't involve any extra work on my part. Heck, I might be able to get some help on the reloading bench out of this deal. A man can dream, can't he? I love the AIs, but feeding out of a magazine can be less than completely reliable, which is a fairly big consideration for a hunting rifle - I need to check myself and control my bias with respect to the AI chambers.

I am thinking hard about matching guns. If I go with a 6 and a 6.5, I'll bet a cookie I'll try and seat a 6.5 in a 6 neck or drop a 6 into a 6.5 case.

As for the last, I'm telling Hogpatrol!

jr600yd likes this.
  10. JLT

JLT Gold $$ Contributor

I don't know why I didn't put the 6BR on the list. Definitely worthy of consideration. Thanks, Sniper!

11. jr600yd

jr600yd

Yup, I'd do a 6BR for her and a 260 for you.

JLT likes this.
  12. JLT

JLT Gold $$ Contributor

The 6BR is an excellent suggestion. As for me, I'm all set. These builds are for my 14 year old daughter and my wife. The 6BR has outstanding manners and I could see building matching Mom and daughter rifles in 6BR.

13. Sniper338

Sniper338 Silver $$ Contributor

My wife loves her 6BR... 8 twist 105 vlds and varget... hardly any recoil, to a man, almost no recoil..

JLT likes this.