??? OPINION NEEDED????

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by LarryDScott, Jan 12, 2019.

1. LarryDScott

LarryDScott Site $$ Sponsor

Is an add on Micrometer top from Brownells to
    a Wison die, a good investment ???
    LDS

2. dgeesaman

dgeesaman Gold $$ Contributor

I’m going to do one in 6mm in a few months. Buy it and if you don’t love it I’ll buy it off of you.

David

joshb likes this.
  3. eric n

eric n Gold $$ Contributor

I like them.
    I check distance to lands after each shooting session with a stripped bolt and they make it quick and easy to adjust your die for touch. They certainly aren’t necessary but I wouldn’t be without one now.

Snuggie and dogdude like this.
  4. Sniper338

Sniper338

I have them on all mine that dont come standard with it.

dogdude likes this.
  5. Storm Cloud

Storm Cloud

It enables you to return to the precise same seating depth that your test load excelled at. Worth several times more than what they cost.

Snuggie and dogdude like this.
  6. mikecr

mikecr

I have them on every Wilson.
    I feel like you're being misled about it's application accuracy though..
    You cannot simply 'dial in' seated CBTO.

Like many things in reloading, seating results are never right until verified so with measure(each one).
    Regardless of any die setting, CBTO is affected by seating force/stem wedging and ogive radius variances for each bullet seated. So while you can dial the seating stem down per scale, the bullet is unlikely to follow that scale in a linear fashion.

Dialing is useful, giving you a starting point and adjustment for each round. But don't assume adjustments are accurate. Measure them, and tweak into desired.

7. johara1

johara1

They are ok but they upset easy with the weight on top. I went back to the shims..... Jim

RGRobinett likes this.
  8. jimmymac

jimmymac Silver $$ Contributor

I like mine, but...The Wilson/Sinclair micrometer top seater die is a definite step up. Guys bitch about the cost, but I don’t know. It is easier to control with precise clicks and no set screw. Seating adjustments and return repeatability are really good. Wish I could get one of those in a blank where my smith could run my reamer in. I asked. Wilson said no. Can’t blame a guy for trying.

dgeesaman likes this.
  9. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Not sure why you cant get a micrometer blank. I just did one for @JRS . Didnt even have to beg- it was in stock

https://lewilson.com/stainless-bullet-seater-blank-with-micrometer/

10. jimmymac

That's not it. The micrometer top on those is a step down. This is the one.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2014/05/new-micrometer-top-bullet-seating-dies-from-sinclair/

Wilson told me no can do on a blank.

The thing I like about this one is the precise control, adjustment speed, no hex head screw to mess with and the scale actually means something. It provides the ability to dial back and forth to pre-determined settings and be right on the money or damn close. For my one PPC, I have all my touch, jam and best tune numbers recorded for a half dozen different bullets. If I decide to swap out bullets, it's a simple matter of twisting the knob to the setting I want and go.

hogpatrol, boltfluter and R.Morehouse like this.
  11. rkittine

rkittine Gold $$ Contributor

Bob White of The Shooters Corner got me using shim sets rather than a micrometer top. Inexpensive and accurate.

Bob

jimmymac likes this.
  12. mikecr

mikecr

I can understand your appreciation of the new Sinclair/Wilson. I see it as an improved design myself.
    Seems like your smith could cut down and re-chamber pretty much any of these in smaller cartridge for larger cartridge. Open them for any larger seater stem, etc.

13. SPJ

SPJ Silver $$ Contributor

Not sure how much Brownells charges for just the top.
    I buy Wilson stainless micro seater from Lester Bruno for $78 bucks,
    He's hanging around the phone this time of year and always good to chat with although he ain't great with the computer ;) so after our chat he hooks me up with one of the sons or daughter for my order.
    Give him a call

14. Dusty Stevens

The jlc seater is my favorite. But the hex screw on the other sinclair/wilson micrometers is only for tension. You dont have to loosen it to adjust. I like the add on top with micrometer. You can use it on multiple dies. You also gotta watch different boxes of bullets- each lot will not be the same number on the die due to lube differences while making the bullets.

thekriebles likes this.
  15. thekriebles

thekriebles Silver $$ Contributor

same opinion for me as well

16. Dusty Stevens

The wilson/sinclair shown above is a good copy of the jlc. I was wondering how long it would take for the copies to come out after jlc stopped making them

17. carlsbad

carlsbad Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep. Gold $$ Contributor

Larry, got a link. I'm having trouble finding it. BTW, 10% off today.

18. jimmymac

Thanks Mike. I’m going ask him about that. Love that micrometer top.

19. johara1

johara1

I make all of my one dies from blanks and the tops work..... if you like picking them up being so top heavy..... Jim

20. LarryDScott

LarryDScott Site $$ Sponsor

Jerry. I went to www.brownells.com and searched for micrometer top for wilson die. LDS