Opening up a boltface already fitted with a sako extractor

Discussion in 'Gun Project Questions & Gunsmithing' started by APGE, Jan 12, 2019.

1. APGE

APGE

Hi Folks,

I have a few remington bolts, all 308 size and am keen on building a magnum. All are fitted with Sako extractors. Is there any way to open these to a magnum face and still have a working extractor? I understand that the cut in the boltface makes things hard - can it be done by installing another form or extractor like an m16, or gently taking to the cut out with a TIG?

Opening a bolt and fitting a new extractor is a cheaper option that blueprinting a new bolt or buying another action. Hoping a member of the brainstrust here has done this before.

Cheerio,
    Alex

2. carlsbad

carlsbad Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep. Gold $$ Contributor

Not really.

gunsandgunsmithing likes this.
  3. RWO

RWO

Welding up the extractor cut will require re-heat treating the bolt. If I were you, I would sell the extra bolt on ebay and put the proceeds toward a new PT&G custom bolt ( less than $300).

RWO

LA50SHOOTER likes this.
  4. carlsbad

Not to mention the welding, even done by an expert, will likely affect the dimensions of the nose. Fully agree with RWOs recommendation. I was tired last night so you got the short version. --Jerry

LA50SHOOTER likes this.
  5. APGE

APGE

Thanks Gentlemen. I'm in Australia and due to ITAR buying a PTG bolt out of the States is prohibitively expensive, otherwise that would be what I would do. Might just have to be on the lookout for a used bolt.

6. swd

swd Gold $$ Contributor

Find a machine shop to build a new taller extractor? Needs to be some very good hardened material. But it might/probably would be cheaper to find a used bolt.

boltfluter likes this.
  7. carlsbad

swd,
    Interesting solution...that is a product that badger or PTG could offer.

swd likes this.
  8. boltfluter

boltfluter Gold $$ Contributor

I would think that a good tig welder could tig a small pad under the extractor that could be finish machined to the correct height. Without overheating the bolt head. Just a thought.:D:D

Paul

gunsandgunsmithing likes this.
  9. shortgrass

shortgrass

The interrupted cut when enlarging the bolt face diameter, because of the extractor cut, ought to be interesting!