Open Call for Machinist or Gunsmith!

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by cjmill87, Jul 31, 2019.

1. cjmill87

cjmill87 Silver $$ Contributor

*Posting this here as well to maybe get more eyeballs

I'm looking for a skilled machinist or gunsmith who might be willing to help me out on a project I am trying to accomplish. I'm looking to have some slide rackers machined for my Glock 17 slides and was wondering if that's something anyone might be interested in doing for me? This is a custom application and there are no "off-the-shelf" solutions to what I am trying to accomplish. I have the vision, but lack the tools and overall ability to make it happen!

I'm looking to have a flat piece go across the width of the slide, being tapped for the existing optic mount holes and then protrude off the left side of the slide in a cylindrical or otherwise easy to manipulate shape (see attached picture of what the slide looks like).

Anyways, if you think this might be something you'd be interested in I'd be more than happy to get together and discuss some more details.

Thanks,
    Chris Miller

Attached Files:

2. PatMiles

PatMiles Gold $$ Contributor

Is your rear sight going to be in the dovetail behind the optic cut out?

3. cjmill87

Not going to run any sights, this slide is on an "Open" gun with a frame mounted red dot sight

4. PatMiles

Let me make a suggestion then, have your slideracker fitted into the dovetail with a setscrew to anchor it. Putting it up front in the optics cut will cause you all sorts of headaches with the slide rocketing back and forth and two screws trying to hold it in place. Don't ask me how I know.

5. JMayo

JMayo

How will it holster sticking of the left side ?

I saw some competition pistols with some kind of knob on the right side back when I shot pistols.

Dusty Stevens likes this.
  6. cjmill87

PatMiles, I have done that before with 2 different rackers from established companies and it was not a solution to my problem. The racker would fall out of the dovetail unless it was secured with red Loctite, which meant I need to remove my frame mount in order to remove the slide (causing loss of zero among other issues). My ideal solution is something like a Brazos Zig Racker which has ball detents but I'd need to get blank slides in order to make the requisite cuts.

JMayo - I have a race holster that only covers the trigger guard, no issue with it sticking out.

Thanks All!

7. PatMiles

Interesting, I made a slide racker for a Bedell open gun I used to shoot. The slide was originally cut for a Doctor sight. It had a C-More slide ride on a 90 degree frame mount when I bought it and no racker. I had to cut the dovetail in the slide just behind the breach face.

8. DirtySteve

DirtySteve Gold $$ Contributor

Carver Custom has one to fit the dove tail and one for the rear of the slide.

jonkeil243, SDDasher and PatMiles like this.
  9. jonkeil243

jonkeil243

I remember seeing those at the Glock match in San Antonio, Mostly when Carver was there.

DirtySteve likes this.
  10. cjmill87

Correct, the Carver Custom was one of the one's I was referring to, already been down that road.

11. cjmill87

So I have been super busy at work but I wanted to give Wayne, @GenePoole, a huge shout out for the awesome work he was able to do to help me out. This is yet another reminder of the fantastic members that we have here on the board. This is a picture of Wayne's work that he did, when I finally get a chance to get the pistol reassembled I will post some "completed" pictures.

Thanks again Wayne for everything!!!!

[​IMG]

hpshooter and Dusty Stevens like this.