Open Call for Machinist or Gunsmith!

Discussion in 'Gun Project Questions & Gunsmithing' started by cjmill87, Jul 31, 2019.

1. cjmill87

cjmill87 Silver $$ Contributor

I'm looking for a skilled machinist or gunsmith who might be willing to help me out on a project I am trying to accomplish. I'm looking to have some slide rackers machined for my Glock 17 slides and was wondering if that's something anyone might be interested in doing for me? This is a custom application and there are no "off-the-shelf" solutions to what I am trying to accomplish. I have the vision, but lack the tools and overall ability to make it happen!

I'm looking to have a flat piece go across the width of the slide, being tapped for the existing optic mount holes and then protrude off the left side of the slide in a cylindrical or otherwise easy to manipulate shape (see attached picture of what the slide looks like).

Anyways, if you think this might be something you'd be interested in I'd be more than happy to get together and discuss some more details.

Thanks,
    Chris Miller

Attached Files:

2. Roeder

Roeder Silver $$ Contributor

Is your intent to just fill the optic mount cut and use iron sights only? How many do you need?

gunsandgunsmithing likes this.
  3. cjmill87

Super crude drawing but maybe it helps? Not looking to fill the optic cut like an RMR cover plate but instead use the mounting holes as an anchor for the handle of the slide racker. Looking for qty 4.

Attached Files:

4. GenePoole

GenePoole

Maybe start with a decent drawing.
    [​IMG]

DickE, boltfluter and jepp2 like this.
  5. cjmill87

That's fantastic! As I said "I have the vision, but lack the tools and overall ability to make it happen!"

6. GenePoole

GenePoole

Is that roughly how you need it made? A piece of round stock milled flat where it attaches to the slide? Add some groves or a knurl for grip and some countersunk holes to attach? What material?

7. cjmill87

Yes, ideally I would like the racker part to be a bit more extended from the slide, say .75 - 1 in. But yes round stock milled flat on the piece that attaches to the slide, something for a grip and 2 countersunk holes to attach. I'm thinking aluminum but not sure how durable it would be, I'd have to defer to some other knowledge if it should be stainless steel or something like that instead.

8. cjmill87

Something that looks similar to this, but is fitted to the cut in my particular slide, not the standard Glock dovetail.

[​IMG]

9. GenePoole

GenePoole

Ok. Getting closer. Do you know if a print is available for the optics cutout? If not, what is the screw spacing and what is the width of the slide at the screw line? I'd think Cr-moly steel like 4140 PH would be best, but Al might be fine--at least for a prototype.

10. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Id make it from delrin. It doesnt take much to rack a slide and no need to add weight to a moving slide

spclark likes this.
  11. spclark

spclark Gold $$ Contributor

On an AR they call ‘em charging handles. Lots of folks shooting what’re called ‘spaceguns’ have something like this screwed right into the bolt carrier.

Ought to be easy enough to make a few (dozen) once you know what the dimensions need to be.

12. rvn1968

rvn1968

GenePoole knows what he is talking about.Believe it or not,but delrin is less liable to fail than Alum. I would ask Mr.Poole to make it out of mild steel.IMHO,Tom. Except if is it to be mounted on alum , stick to similar materiel

13. GenePoole

GenePoole

My 3D model is parametric so I just need to change dimensions to customize it. I also added a few more grooves and knurling.
    [​IMG]

dogdude likes this.
  14. cjmill87

So I have been super busy at work but I wanted to give Wayne, @GenePoole, a huge shout out for the awesome work he was able to do to help me out. This is yet another reminder of the fantastic members that we have here on the board. This is a picture of Wayne's work that he did, when I finally get a chance to get the pistol reassembled I will post some "completed" pictures.

Thanks again Wayne for everything!!!!

[​IMG]

Judd, lwhaples and McGraw like this.