Ooh, Ooh, Ooh look what came today....

Discussion in 'Big Stuff -- 6.5mm, 7mm, 30 Cal' started by Lefty Trigger, Feb 15, 2019.

1. Lefty Trigger

Lefty Trigger Silver $$ Contributor

The new stock from Boyds for my project gun. This is the new AT-One with thumbhole and yes its ambidextrous which is perfect since I'm lefty. I ordered the target front grip but its "rubber" coated and it might not work with my rest so the stock one may be a better choice. Savage 12 target action with Criterion 28 inch 6.5 Creedmoor barrel combo going in this. Will post pics when I get it bedded in.

Zombie stock.JPG

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
    dm.oakes, GotRDid, dogdude and 5 others like this.
  2. SPJ

SPJ Silver $$ Contributor

Sweet"
    Looking forward to seeing that project
    J

3. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

Nice!

4. 284winner

284winner Gold $$ Contributor

Thumb hole AT 1 ???

5. jamesh

jamesh Gold $$ Contributor

I had considered ordering the non-thumb hole AT-1. I will be curious what you think of it when you get it done.

6. eas1949

eas1949

I like Boyds stocks. Quality. I just wish they made true benchrest stocks. I be on one faster that a pack of hungry weasels on a waffle.

Eric

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
    GotRDid, mikeinct, jamesh and 2 others like this.
  7. Lefty Trigger

I tried the regular At-One that a guy at the range had and didn't care for the feel of it, maybe a different grip? When I came across this I had to try it because I like the thumbhole stock idea but buying a left handed thumbhole kills the resale of it. This being ambi makes for easy sell if I don't like it.

8. Lefty Trigger

I'm with you on that! The potential is there so they should at least try one and look for feedback.

simo hayha likes this.
  9. 284winner

284winner Gold $$ Contributor

They'd sell the hell out of them. Especially if they offered them in some of the major factory action options plus custom action config also

simo hayha and perry42 like this.
  10. CarlGeorge

CarlGeorge Silver $$ Contributor

Good looking stock!

My $.02 (and sorry to say this given it just came in): If you're going to elevate the cheek piece you might want to pay attention to how it feels and moves after you've shot it a few times. I ordered one but ended up returning it because the cheek piece did not go high enough to get me on my scope. But I noticed, when elevated, the piece was a little wobbly. If you're putting pressure on it when it's recoiling you might just want to make sure you're confident the mechanism will hold up. It imagine it will take a bit of pounding. In theory they have what seems to be a pretty good design where there a post in front that isn't part of the mechanism. Maybe it's designed so that takes the recoil force and protects the post that holds the adjustment level in place.

The butt plate adjustment seemed VERY solid - to the point I pretty much had to ask another person to help me adjust it. It seemed to need to take three hands. On the one I received pushing the button was REALLY hard (two of the hands) and then you had to pull/push the recoil pad (also challenging) while pushing in that button.

Good luck. I'm eager to hear and see how it performs and looks.

CG

11. Daniel Peffley

Daniel Peffley Silver $$ Contributor

The boyds stock is only sealed on the outside all, all , all interior is raw wood that will suck up water or moisture/ humidity like a sponge. I had to use trueoil and qtips. To seal everything up. Many coats. Then the liquid wax. Now it is safe.

12. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

Hey lefty
    I dont know about your trigger guard, but mine was plastic. And it broke of course.
    I googled replacements and found aluminum
    guards for for $24 this morning.

13. Lefty Trigger

Mine is stainless so it shouldn't be an issue.

14. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

Nice.
    They sent me new trigger guard mailed from South Dakota by way of Kentucky to Oregon.

15. JaoeyP

JaoeyP Silver $$ Contributor

That looks cool! Why haven't they added the At One features to the pro Varmint??? Seems like that would be a home run.