One Rifle for an Aspiring Precision Shooter

Discussion in 'Gear Talk: What to Buy? and Gear Evaluations' started by PilotPhill, May 5, 2018.

1. PilotPhill

PilotPhill

Hello All,
    My name is Phillip - a college student looking to pick up his first rifle of relatively high precision.

I would like to to be able to purchase a rifle that is:
    Highly accurate out to at least 500m
    Has relatively good barrel life
    Could also be used for deer
    Good selection/options for factory brass

Given my desires, I have been mainly considering a 6mmBR or a .308. Based on my research, they are both quite accurate and widely used in many long range precision shooting competitions. They both have decent accurate barrel lives (2.5k and 5k rounds respectively). I’ve read reports of the 6br being used for hunting but I do question that a bit. For reloading costs, it seems as though the .308 might be slightly more expensive but I don’t think too bad. The 308 seems to have gained fairly high praise on the accurate shooters form if I’m not mistaken so I am leaning in that direction as of now.
    Savage Model 12s are mainly what I’ve been looking at.

What do you guys think? Are there other things to consider that I’m forgetting? Any input on chamberings or rifles would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks, Phillip

2. jds holler

jds holler Gold $$ Contributor

Seems like some of the 6.5 guys oughta be flocking in here pretty quick. jd

Sniper338 and PilotPhill like this.
  3. jr600yd

jr600yd Gold $$ Contributor

Well for what you want the rifle to do you can’t go wrong with a .308. Just remember for hunting it’s all about shot placement. A bad shot is a bad shot no matter what caliber.

PilotPhill likes this.
  4. Toby Bradshaw

Toby Bradshaw Gold $$ Contributor

Here's my answer to your question: ;)

entrance wound BIB 95 FB closeup.JPG
    exit wound BIB 95 FB small.jpg

PilotPhill likes this.
  5. PilotPhill

PilotPhill

6. Toby Bradshaw

Hard to beat a 6BR for plug-and-play accuracy, low recoil, and long barrel life. This is the first 300yd target from the rifle that put that pronghorn (and a pile of mule deer) in the truck. Stiller PredatorV, Krieger 1-9, Jewell trigger, H-S stock, Talley lightweight rings, Sightron 6.5-20x42, Harris bipod. Lapua brass, Berger 95gr VLD 0.005" into the lands, 31.4gr Varget, CCI 450.

Pronghorn rifle with 300yd target.JPG

JLT and PilotPhill like this.
  7. Sniper338

Sniper338

8. perry42

perry42 Silver $$ Contributor

The 6br will fill all of your needs for hunting and precision shooting. Low recoil, easy to load, uses less than 32grs of powder, uses bullets from 87gr to 108gr. The 6 and 6.5 creedmore will also meet your needs. Savage rifles are hard to beat for price and accuracy while Remington actions and copies of them have the most aftermarket accessories used and valued by competitors. One advantage of the Savage rifles is the availability of aftermarket chambered barrels the shooter can install on his rifle. Go/No go gauges should be used when changing barrels.

perry42

9. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE Gold $$ Contributor

If youre looking for factory loaded ammo then you need a 6.5 creedmoor, a 243win or 308win in the midsize precision rifle calibers. I believe the new savage 10ba stealth is out. Nice gun for the money. I believe tikka also has their chassis rifle on the shelf. Or go with the ruger rpr as a third choice. If youre going to reload then go 6x47L or 6br. Look around and study up around here and youll learn a lot. Dont be scared to ask questions.

PilotPhill likes this.
  10. JBT

JBT Gold $$ Contributor

6 BR if committed to reloading. If not then get a 6.5 Creedmoor. If buying factory I would look at Tikka CTR. Or if budget bigger then look at a Sako TRG.

Or better yet, order your parts and do a full build.

Bc'z, rardoin, swd and 1 other person like this.
  11. PilotPhill

PilotPhill

Alrighty, I think I’ve decided on a 6br since it seem like a rock solid caliber. Plus, my dad just bought a Savage Model 12 in that chambering so we could do our load developments together which would be fun.

Per JBTs recommendation, I looked up building a 6br. Read this article:
    http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek066.html
    Thinking of building my own 6br as opposed to buying a model 12. Building one sounds somecomplex but could be super fun. What are the up/downsides? As a college student, I am not made of money and would like to keep things around or less than $1500 for the rifle not including the scope. Would building a significantly better rifle than the Model 12 ($1300) in that price range realistic?
    From my preliminary research:
    BAT NB 8.5” Action ~$900 (?)
    Krieger 6mm 30” barrel - $355
    Stock - $300 (?)
    Jewel Trigger - $200
    So far it seems I’m looking at ~$1800 but I’m guessing I’d have to have a Smith assemble it all - which would probably cost quite a bit?
    Based on this, would it be better for me to go with a Savage Model 12?
    For the scope, I’m pretty sold on the Leopold VX-3i LRP 8.5-25x50. Heard nothing but good things about it and I can pick one up for $830 which seems to be a pretty good price to me.

12. JBT

JBT Gold $$ Contributor

Yes, a Custom is much better. I would save until you have enough money to build a custom rather than buying a Savage. After you go down this rabbit hole you will build a custom anyway. Might as well go ahead and do it.

mr45man, Bc'z and Toby Bradshaw like this.
  13. Toby Bradshaw

Good call.

You're on a roll. :)

Downside: it costs a little more up front (but holds its value better)

Upsides: you get exactly what you want, the components (except the barrel) will last you the rest of your life

If you buy new, no. If you buy used, yes.

More like $1200-$1400. I think the best value in "general purpose" (as opposed to pure competition) custom actions is Kelbly's Atlas Tactical -- street price $950 or so, including scope rail.

TL actions cost even less but I have no personal experience with them.

You can do everything but the chambering/fitting yourself. I pay my world-record-holding riflesmith $150 to fit/chamber, but it seems that most 'smiths are charging more.

With some careful shopping you can find a stock for $200 or less.

If you are planning to spend $1300 on a Savage, do yourself a favor and buy a used 6BR built on a custom action for about the same. Just keep scanning the classifieds on this site.

Sightron scopes work just as well, and can save some money. Whether Leupold or Sightron (or other), buying used saves a LOT.

Dusty Stevens, PilotPhill and JBT like this.
  14. ranger3

ranger3

If you find a good used Savage rifle that you like the action on, you can build a rifle for under $1,200 get a Criterion barrel for a $300 from Northland Shooting supply. I personally really like the 6br and a 6.5 Creedmoor is not far behind. They are both great calibers but the 6br is a little more fun to shoot less recoil and very accurate. Good luck.

PilotPhill and walker2713 like this.
  15. JBT

JBT Gold $$ Contributor

As Toby stated, look at the Kelbly Atlas action. Bugholes.com

PilotPhill likes this.
  16. walker2713

walker2713 Gold $$ Contributor

Plus 10 for the Classifieds on this site.....a great place to find first rate equipment at a reasonable price from people you can trust!!

Dub, mikeinct, Zero333 and 1 other person like this.
  17. Racebannon3855

Racebannon3855 Silver $$ Contributor

I just bumped a Savage Model 12 VLP DBM in the classifieds for $925 with dies, brass and an EGW base. For under a grand you can be shooting and find out if long range is for you. If you like it than go the full custom route when you get out of school. I am a hunter, not a target shooter so I have a Six Ackley custom that is a real hammer. It does kick less than the 300 WSM but it was a much bigger investment!

Good Luck with your project!

mikeinct, simo hayha and PilotPhill like this.
  18. simo hayha

simo hayha

I just got a savage target for 675 cash like new... They are 1200 new. And it came with 486rds of match ammo and a $120 Farrell mount.

Point is get out there and beat the bushes. Deals can be found.. Buy a savage and see if you like the sport. Savage is the best bang for the buck. Get on every local gun fourm.

19. SGK

SGK

As someone who has just moved State-side from Europe can I ask why people focus so heavily on the 6BR or 6.5 Creedmoor and not the 6.5 x 55 Swede? Not common here?

Dusty Stevens likes this.
  20. ttfreestyle

ttfreestyle Gold $$ Contributor

Great advice here^^^^^^. Shop the used custom market as there are good deals to be had. Good luck

PilotPhill and JBT like this.