One less place I can socially distance at ! Range re-opened this morning !!!

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by 284winner, Apr 8, 2020.

1. 284winner

284winner Gold $$ Contributor

Well, just found out my local private range closed due to this covid crap. We have maybe 60 members and only 20 at most use it other than just before deer season opens. I've never seen another guy out there M-F yet they closed it. According to my source, it was because they didn't want TV5 news to be aware there still open. Unbelievable. I guess it's just nice to know that our DNR are a little smarter than the ones making decisions for our range because they are encouraging outdoor activities like fishing, hunting and shooting. They just want people to use common sense and stay distanced from others. All we can ask is for others to trust our common sense.

Terry and dgeesaman like this.
  2. Uthink Uknow

Uthink Uknow Gold $$ Contributor

Now I am concerned. What range are you talking about? Is it Harrison? Is it Iosco County?

Boisblancboy likes this.
  3. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

A gun range is one of the places they encouraged to stay open. Shouldnt be any fallout from staying open

338 dude, Snuggie, Dgd6mm and 2 others like this.
  4. hdskip

hdskip

I belong to 2 clubs here. one has closed and other is staying open but restricting to members only and no guests. the one open is strictly shotguns which doesn't hut my feelings at all. the other is predominately rifle and pistol. I'm blessed that I have a backyard range. I personally will be glad when this dark time will be over.

338 dude likes this.
  5. Uthink Uknow

I don’t know what range 284 is referring to Dusty but there isn’t much Covid north of Saginaw. Six counties in the upper peninsula have zero cases. Five counties north of Saginaw have zero cases. Our beloved governess is over governing. She has deemed landscape work in non-essential and so all landscape companies are shut down. A lot of those guys wear masks all the time just for the dust and crap.

D Coots and Mark W like this.
  6. Forum Boss

Forum Boss Administrator

In Malibu CA recently teams of Sheriffs, using power boats, arrested a solo Paddle Boarder, 70 yards offshore, for violating "Social Distancing rules". There was no other human within 50 yards.

He was greated by the deputies who were not wearing masks. He is subject to a potential $1000 fine or 6 months in jail.

Link w photos: https://www.kron4.com/news/californ...-pier-for-violating-state-stay-at-home-order/

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
    1K6BRA, dkhunt14 and Nick Caprinolo like this.
  7. Nick Caprinolo

Nick Caprinolo

In Maryland, the Governor proclaimed shooting ranges were essential to the public good. Then the State Forest Service closed the ranges. In this state, the tail always wags the dog.

SEM and 338 dude like this.
  8. Nick Caprinolo

Nick Caprinolo

What do you expect from California?

SEM, 338 dude, Snuggie and 2 others like this.
  9. afret

afret Gold $$ Contributor

Yup, some things just don't make sense. I read in the local paper today that the state parks here are jam packed with visitors who don't pay the daily fees, ignore the distancing rules, and let dog run loose. And the majority seems to be from the next door state which has a high chicom19 count. That state apparent has shut down outdoor activites. OK so the nearby state park stays open but the adjacent state run shooting range that I go to has been closed since March. :confused:

338 dude, Snuggie and Nick Caprinolo like this.
  10. 284winner

Pinconning conservation club. It's private not open to the public

338 dude likes this.
  11. 284winner

Unbelievable

338 dude likes this.
  12. Uthink Uknow

And I go through Pinconning often. I wondered why the traffic was lighter.

13. Dryfly24

Dryfly24 Silver $$ Contributor

All three ranges that I go to have been shut down for weeks. Despite the fact that there’s hardly anyone there during the week and it’s easy to stay away from people there.

14. davidjoe

davidjoe Skunkworks Gold $$ Contributor

There’s another thread or more about this. These state, county and possibly city orders that gun range officers have to construe don’t typically spell out gun ranges as either covered or excepted places or entities.

Some of them simply don’t want to be open, so it doesn’t matter whether they would be permitted to open or not. Others do want to be open but they aren’t sure if it’s legal or not.

Speaking only for our range, (but this is a good approach) we reviewed the relevant orders and contacted the county via email, explaining our view and position on being open. We imagined they would just email a response.

But the county replied and asked if they could be shown our range. Of course we agreed. I met with three knowledgeable, professional officials who were current on orders from the governor, the county and an opinion by the state attorney general. They were completely satisfied with what signage and distancing they were shown, and the explanations of range use given to them. We are one of those ranges sparsely enough attended that 10 people between the rifle and pistol range absent a match would be extraordinary.

So the point is, ask if in doubt. These folks are at work anyway and the ones that visited us were interested in shooting at the range themselves, even though none of the three had ever seen our very remote range.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
    338 dude likes this.
  15. Rsadams

Rsadams

If I never hear social distancing again it wouldn't be long enough.....

mr.big, SEM, 338 dude and 3 others like this.
  16. DNorton

DNorton Silver $$ Contributor

My old “range” range is still open, and there is no one around for miles. Public BLM land. 5A9684E5-566D-4780-A4FF-AB33D52F58EC.jpeg

Mark W, Idaho-45, Monte F and 15 others like this.
  17. ronsatspokane

ronsatspokane Gold $$ Contributor

All the ranges in WA are shutdown so far as I know. My ranges are. Yet there is a non-public range used by city and county police/Sheriffs about 3 miles from my house as the crow fly's. They are still shooting. The other day it sounded like a war going on. It's not loud but you do know that there is a lot of gunfire going on.

18. wedgy

wedgy Gold $$ Contributor

[Forum Boss: The specific charge was violating Governor Newsom's Shelter at Home order, which was issued with specific explanations that it is permissible to go outside and exercise if you are avoiding social contact. This order, of dubious legitimacy, is enforceable via CA Gov. Code 8665 [anyone who “refuses or willfully neglects” to obey a lawful order is guilty of a misdemeanor and could be fined up to $1,000, imprisoned for six months or both.

Two lifeguards and a couple of Sheriffs in a second boat, with nothing to do.

Three blocks from my house, there are two city policemen on $50,000 worth of motorcycles "guarding" an empty park. Between salaries and other benefits, those two officers are costing the city over $220,000 per year, or $603 a day.

A mile away I see three Sheriffs cars parked in a McDonalds, the officers eating burgers.

On the coastline today, I saw over 40 CA government workers cloaking parking signs and otherwise sitting around doing nothing.]

He violated the "stay at home" order not the distancing rules. The idea is if he needs a rescue he will be exposing/endangering the 1st responders and taking them out of service by his non essential activity.

I rock and ice climb but can't because they have closed the forest and BLM because there are no SAR personnel, including helo pilots, because they have all been quarantined. They have also closed the Pacific Crest Trail(Mexico to Canada) that people come from all over the world to hike this time of year(it goes thru the Sierras and snow levels are navigable soon) but there are no SAR crews and they don't want the hikers bringing disease to the small towns that don't have the resources like hospitals and ventilators.
    They are also about to announce the suspension of the Sierra fishing season opener(AKA Fishmas) which is huge. Estimated 10,000 anglers head up to the area for this, a huge economic boom for the area.
    https://www.blm.gov/visit/alabama-hills

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2020
    RICHP and Taildrag15X like this.
  19. divingin

divingin

A lot of divers are agonizing over this as well (I'm hearing this second-hand, as phyical issues have kept me out of the water for a few years.) Generally, you don't plan for medical emergencies, but should one occur, at best you're pulling emergency personnel from non-avoidable emergencies. At worst, you won't get emergency services.

FWIW, in the SF Bay Area, I don't know of any range which has stayed open. Most (if not all) gun shops are closed due to county orders. Big box stores like Walmart, Dicks, etc around here do not sell firearms or accessories, so that's moot. I don't know how the state mandated ammo background checks are doing, since you can't go in to buy anything anyway.

That said, our infection rates and deaths are (so far) substantially lower than, say NYC, so maybe there is some good result from all this quarantine stuff.

338 dude likes this.
  20. nmkid

nmkid Gold $$ Contributor

Braggart!!

Monte F, SEM, outasite `08 and 6 others like this.