older BAT action query

Discussion in 'Gear Talk: What to Buy? and Gear Evaluations' started by Borisserge, Jul 24, 2018.

1. Borisserge

Borisserge

Hi guys, I've managed to pick up an unused BAT RL action circa 2008.
    It's sporting a 32" straight taper barrel in 284w throated for 180 bergers. Still to fit a trigger and scope rail.
    How many of you know about these actions, and what are your thoughts. Are there many out there?

I have contacted BAT, but it would be great to hear first hand experience from users.

2. accuracyman

accuracyman Silver $$ Contributor

I have two of the old original BAT's way before they had wings:D. All BAT actions are nice with very tight tolerances. The older ones had the threaded firing pin assembly instead of the newer bayonet assembly but otherwise not a lot of differences. In the early days you could order one 'custom made' to your specifications. I have one that has a integrated rail on top like a Panda. That was done way before you could get them from the factory like that. They are high quality so I would never pass on one if it came available. That action will make a fine shooting rifle.

3. Borisserge

Borisserge

Mine has a fluted bolt, the screw in recoil lug, controlled feed (as it's a repeater) and it's multi faceted on the outside.
    I've still to source a suitable scope rail, as it's not your normal by the looks of it.
    It is cerakoted, and I will be pvd the bolt for utter slickness (as if it needs it...).
    I have it now bedded in an adjustable A5 stock.
    Trigger options are Jewell or B & A

4. Borisserge

Borisserge

A quick update - fitted a Jewell trigger, always nice to use.
    BAT also got back to me with some information that was nice to know, so the good news is, these were a very low count made action, approximately RL's 120 made and sold in total.
    Very rare beasts compared to the new up to date models which can be found on most ranges.

Thank you guys at bat for a follow up service!

5. germanlongbow

germanlongbow Scott M Bainbridge

I have a Model M I bought in 2000 or 2002, can't remember. Awesome action, I bought a second 338LM bolt two years ago. Has a few thousand rounds of hard use and keeps on ticking. Great company and support system. Scott