Off topic: Honda CR500

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by ebb, Sep 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dgd6mm

Dgd6mm Silver $$ Contributor

I don't belong on one.....but that's never stopped me. If I keep eyeballing this thread I'll be out looking to buy something.

2. MikeMcCasland

MikeMcCasland Gold $$ Contributor

For whatever reason, this thread has me looking again too. My local facebook market place has a ton of 2000s 250cc 2-strokes for not much money; might be a fun rebuild project, followed by a nice hospital stay.

I figure you could get a decent bike, rebuild the motor, bearings, plastics etc. and grab the necessary gear for around ~5k.

I didn't realize the price for new had gone up so much. New KTMs used to go for 5-6k, and I thought that was sky high. Now days it looks like the jap 450s are ~10k.

Edit: Also, those 'Lectron' carbs look really interesting. No more messing with jets, they automatically adjust for elevation/environmental conditions? The videos where I've seen guys swapping them in give those bikes razor sharp throttle response....talk about crisp.

I can seriously smell the BelRay and VP as I type this post. ;)

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
    Dgd6mm likes this.
  3. R.Morehouse

R.Morehouse Gold $$ Contributor

4 stroke with a tired motor will cost you MUCHO......2 stroke is the way to go. A used KTM 300 would be where I would be looking.......If I was looking......At 62 I don't think I should be looking..........Should I?....:rolleyes:

Dgd6mm and MikeMcCasland like this.
  4. Road_Clam

Road_Clam

I have a strong passion for guns and motorcycles ! My nut and bolt restoration '87 GSXR 750 :

[​IMG]

And my restored '84 GPz 1100

[​IMG]

kneedtospeed, Dgd6mm and boltfluter like this.
  5. dougridgeore

dougridgeore

In my former life before shooting. Raced, YZ 490 - CR 500 - YZ 400 (4 stroke)and the last bike was a SX 520 (4 stroke) and while the CR was a power house I think the KTM SX 520 (4 stroke) would almost always win a hole shot to the first turn (3rd gear start) and a heck of a lot less shifting also you could hold your position in the race a lot easier as far as shooting verse motocross I sure enjoy the summers a lot more without the crutches and trying to bend a coat hanger to itch that spot under the cast .....still sure enjoyed the years hanging out at the track with my step-son watching him and his friends turn into the top racers in the country right in front of my eyes.

6. dougridgeore

dougridgeore

This is the bike that was the crazy fastest most likely to kill you of them all upload_2019-9-26_12-44-5.jpeg

joshb likes this.
  7. normmatzen

normmatzen Silver $$ Contributor

Dusty,

I also went on an ATK factory ride to the California desert along with my son-in-law on his CR500 and my ATK605. They didn't bring the 700 with them but did bring a 620 Maico based bike. ATK claimed the 620 was the race bike and 700 the fun bike. My son-in-law rode the 620 and was VERY impressed!

Dusty Stevens likes this.
  8. 4xforfun

4xforfun Gold $$ Contributor

Actually..the newwer 500 were more mello and had less hit than the older 500 and 480's. There is a company just across the line that wedges new 500 cc Honda and Kaw motors into the newest perimeter lightweight frames. THAT, my babies, would be fun!!

9. beemanjohn

beemanjohn Silver $$ Contributor

My problem (other than being old) is the new dirt bikes are way too tall for me. I am only 5-8 and those three foot plus seat height bikes just do not do it for me. I do not need 14 inches of wheel travel. A nice light bike with good 7-8 inch wheel travel would be great.

joshb likes this.
  10. 4xforfun

4xforfun Gold $$ Contributor

I don't mind the tall, but the new ones are so narrow and "hard" feeling. Not near as "cushy" unless you ride the hell out of them...and I'm too damn old for that!:(

CT10ring likes this.
  11. kneedtospeed

kneedtospeed Gold $$ Contributor

IMG_20190927_001508.jpg dunn-racing-irp-oct.-1991.jpg
    I Remember them Well,
    and Many others... :)

CT10ring and joshb like this.
  12. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

13. kneedtospeed

kneedtospeed Gold $$ Contributor

Oh, was this post about brand New bikes??

I must have missed that part

14. TrxR

TrxR

I had a 87 600 Hurricane. Nice bike for its time.

kneedtospeed likes this.
  15. 1lnbrdg

1lnbrdg

And I just thought I was something on my Bultaco . . . . .

SEGARE, ebb and joshb like this.
  16. TheOtherZilla

TheOtherZilla

I am 72 and ride a KTM 250 XCW. Not as well as I used to but I get around.

17. RDavies

RDavies Silver $$ Contributor

From the age of 14 to 40, motocross dominated my life, with CR500s being my main race bikes well after their popularity dropped off. I used to modify the bikes heavily which not only increased power, but made the CR500s more ridable and faster for a regular rider to get around a motocross track on. My main travelling partner from my racing days is getting close to 50 as well, but he still keeps a few CR500s in his workshop, either being restored to standard, or heavily modified. Whenever I go to a shooting comp in his area, I always drop in for a blast around his track.
    The kids get quite a surprise to see that dad still has it and isn't such a useless old fart after all when they watch me get out on the MX bikes.
    What is still notice is how many F Class shooters (in Australia anyway) used to ride MX and love the CR500s.

18. Road_Clam

Road_Clam

I also do not limit a 500cc engine to just dirt bikes , built an insane KX500 CRG shifter kart :

brokeasajoke likes this.
  19. ebb

ebb

My best friend used to have an enduro cart with huge gas tanks, and three Mc Cullouch 101 carts engines. Scared me to death, but never refused a ride.

20. SEGARE

SEGARE Silver $$ Contributor

I love the big Mac motors. They were used in so many apps. I have a few of the bigger saws and love to pull them out and make some chips.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.