Oehler Chronographs - PLEASE READ!!

Discussion in 'Gear Talk: What to Buy? and Gear Evaluations' started by jb1000br, Dec 8, 2005.

1. jb1000br

jb1000br

Got a little bad news to share…Oehler will cease making the 35P Chronograph when they run out of the current parts they have. They told me they had enough to make around 100 more chronographs than they had orders for at the time.

Starting in 2006, they will be going commercial and the model 43 will be their cheapest chrono available,over $1000)

So fellows, if you ever wanted one, get it NOW. Oehler will most likely be dried up BEFORE the end of the year, though some folks may have some in stock after that, Oehler won’t be making any more.

Got mine ordered :D

JB

2. BR

BR

Jason,

Do you know if they will still do repairs if it happens to break??

3. Nik

Nik

Hi, guys, I am a very satisfied customer of Oehler and have the 35P:D for quite a while now. The printer fail to feed paper for printing, I took my time to contact the office by e-mail and the respond was short and sweet, to the effect of: kindly send the unit back to them to look at. Packed with bubble wrap, send with insurance with my fingers crossed! Anyway, not too long to wait, a package arrived and the problem was fixed and FOC with a smile. :thumb. I have not use it yet to make sure it is ok but deep down I know that if anything do goes wrong, this company stand right behind their product! Now, some of you might say, what's the big deal, a lot of company do that these day. Well,for your information, I am in New Zealand, and I think by sharing this experience of mind is the only way I can think of to thank them for a fantastic after sale service. Cheers! Merry christmas and a Happy New Year! Oh! order the 35p pronto and enjoy!

4. jb1000br

jb1000br

I'm not sure, I didnt ask. Call them: ,800) 531-5125

JB

5. butchlambert

butchlambert Site $$ Sponsor

Mr. Oehler answered a post on Accurate Reloading forum the other day and said they will always support their products. I believe that.
    Butch

IdahoSharpshooter likes this.
  6. GoneBallistic

GoneBallistic

If the good 'ol Oehler 35P isn't available any more, WHAT'S THE NEXT BEST THING,under $500)? I've almost given up on my Pact

7. Forum Boss

Forum Boss Administrator

GoneBallistic,

Safarihunter has two,2) Oehler model 35p chronos for sale right now in the Classified section. He wants $450.00 each.

http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/post/6mmbr/vpost?id=1826412

8. GoneBallistic

GoneBallistic

Mr. Moderator

Thanks for the information. I'm going to look into them.

D.H.

9. usngunner

usngunner

I spoke to Oehler at the NRA Convention.

They are looking at bringing the 35P back if there is enough demand. Letters would be good. :D

10. JBR

JBR

I e-mailed Oehler asking if they were considering bringing the 35P back; if so, I would immediately order one. This is the reply:

"Thanks,
    The door is not completely closed, and we will keep you in mind.
    KenO"

Keep those cards and letters going to Oehler. Maybe we will see the 35P again.

11. RPS

RPS

I have a 35p new in unopened box... just not sure what I should ask for it...

12. JERRYHM

JERRYHM

RPS

I just purchase a CED from Sinclair for under $200. In placing it in front of my Oehler 35p with a four foot bar, the maximum difference in MV was 5 fps and the ES and SD were the same for the 12 five shot groups that I shot. The only advantage of the Oehler is the printer. The disadvantage of the Oehler is the set up time using the longer bar.
    I did not find any advantage of one over the other in light conditions, both have problems with light conditions.
    The 2 foot bar on the CED is just accurate as the 4 foot bar on the Oehler..... I do use both.

Jerry

13. Melvin

Melvin

Just had the printer replaced in my 35P, The rubber rollers in the old printeres deteriorate, and won't advance the paper.
    Here's their policy on replacing printers:
    Melvin

Since the introduction of the Model 35P almost twenty years ago, we have been pleased
    with our choice of print mechanism. The little Epson mechanism is reliable, it uses little
    power from the battery, and the printout does not fade with age.
    The printers are manufactured in Hong Kong and are sold for use in small printing
    calculators. No printing calculators are made in the USA, and Epson has decreed that no
    mechanisms are to be exported to the USA; we have received none since 2003. We
    discontinued production of the Model 35P chronograph in 2005.
    Some users have had trouble with the printers. After working well for ten or fifteen
    years, suddenly the paper doesn’t feed properly. The rubber friction rollers have
    deteriorated. We cannot replace or repair the rollers, and we can’t buy replacement
    mechanisms from Epson.
    To support our customers, we’ve purchased a large number of printing calculators at
    retail. We tear them apart and salvage the Epson print mechanisms. We use these
    mechanisms to replace the failed mechanisms in Model 35P units. The newer
    mechanisms print slower than the original units, but they use less energy from the battery.
    Some of the printed characters are changed; you might see $ instead of S for standard
    deviation.
    For many years our written warranty extended for three years, but we charged only for
    those repairs related to bullet holes or similar damage. We must now charge $50 plus
    return shipping to replace the print mechanisms on those units more than three years old.
    If your Model 35P will no longer feed or advance the paper properly, the only fix we
    know is the print mechanism transplant. Please return your unit with a note to Oehler
    Research, 1308 Barclay Drive, Austin, Texas 78746.
    If you include a check for $50, we will pay for the ground return shipping to a continental
    US address. If you include a Visa or MasterCard number with expiration date, we will
    bill for $50 plus the actual return shipping costs.

14. spclark

spclark Gold $$ Contributor

Commendable service on their part!

Thanks for the post, Melvin!

15. Melvin

Melvin

I thought it was very reasonable, and the printer works great!
    If I remember correctly, it took about two weeks for them to repair and ship.
    Melvin

16. ChipEckardt

ChipEckardt

Saw one go for over $400 on eBay about a month ago.

-Chip-

17. StevenDzupin

StevenDzupin

Oehler will make another run of their Chronograph !!!

Available this Summer !!

Don't wait !!

Reagrds,

Steve

18. 40X Guy

40X Guy

Bought mine about 12 years ago, and it is still chugging along and working well. I did not know about them quitting for a while making the 35P but demand rules in this case. I have used the other type chronys, and I still believe the Oehler is the best out there. :)

19. spclark

spclark Gold $$ Contributor

Yes, demand often rules, but in this case the printer supplier - Seiko - (makes Epson printers, among others) was the uncooperative component vendor. They'd simply decided there was insufficient market remaining for the device Oehler used for the 35P.

http://www.oehler-research.com/model35.html

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2010/05/oehler-35p-chronograph-is-back-oehler-resumes-production/

I was glad to have bought mine the year they ceased production and gladder still to learn I could still by "parts" for the most at-risk items (sensors & sky screens) from Oehler a couple of years later. Understandably I'm Very Careful to set up for shooting sessions involving my 35P whether I'm shooting by my lonesome or in a "classroom" situation (like today when I assisted at a Safer USA Long Range class at my local club range).

20. nosualc

nosualc Silver $$ Contributor

Oehler did make a another run of the 35P, and as far as I can tell they're still selling it.

I took delivery on one about 2 months ago, and their website still lists it for sale.

-nosualc