NRA F-class Smallbore Rifle (F-sbr)

Discussion in 'Competition Forum (All Calibers)' started by Jetjock1, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Jetjock1

Jetjock1

Va Jim likes this.
  2. ericskennard

ericskennard Gold $$ Contributor

I WILL START this by saying, it is about time!

I see an error in the new rules. I hope it is an error. An 18 pound weight limit has been placed on F-Open rifles. Many of us have built F-Open small bore rifles with the same stocks and similar weight as their centerfire rifles. The goal is to replicate the feel of their centerfires. I hope the powers to be change this rule.

3. Medic505

Medic505 Dean Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

"a smaller target than the sling shooters at long range"

Leave it to the NRA to get it wrong. When F Class started, the same target that sling shooters use was the target of the day. Smaller targets didn't come till a couple years later.

4. kzin

kzin

I have wondered if that rule was made intentionally or just a cut and past error making f-open the same weight as f-tr.
    My gun is well under either way but I agree it makes more sense to let people duplicate their centerfire rifles.

5. Jetjock1

Jetjock1

Hey guys this discipline is in its infancy. If you have suggestions to the rules send it to vcroft@nrahq.org and she will put it on the agenda for the smallbore committee to consider. IT took me three years to get the provisional rules approved. I am sure at the competitors meeting at Bristol this summer you guys will be there and make your suggestions and comments.

daleboy likes this.
  6. Medic505

I have a question. Why 50 and 100 yards? Why is there not a 200 yard course of fire?

foxguy likes this.
  7. Lbart

Lbart Gold $$ Contributor

8. Medic505

Thanks for posting the link Larry. I did read the rules. But the question still remains.

The monthly smallbore matches I shoot have a 30 round 200 yard course of fire along with 60 shots at 100 yards. Granted they are not NRA sanctioned F Class matches, but the fun doesn't start till the 200 yard targets come into play. I guess we aren't normal.....

4.13 lists a NRA 200 yard target A-21

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    seymour fish and BobLor like this.
  9. Berger.Fan222

Berger.Fan222

Agreed, 200 yards is where the real fun starts.

But I do hope more local smallbore matches allow F-SBR at 50 and 100 yards, along existing smallbore prone matches.

I think it would be a great opportunity to involve a number of young people and get them up the learning curve. But local match directors are proving ... (to put it politely) ... stubborn and resistant.

But the more shooters who reach out to the local match directors, the better chance we have of getting F-SBR widely implemented at the local level. What happens every month at the gun clubs within driving distance matters more than what happens for a few days at one location in the whole US.

10. Tom Baker

Tom Baker

good gosh man, are you saying that eighth inch x ring at 50 is too easy? I don't find it so easy.

I like 200 also.

Tom Baker, Capitan

11. Heman

Heman

The F-Class smallbore uses the same targets that we shoot for Metric Prone. Actually in our postal league I just sling up shoot my metric prone and then use those scores for my F-Class scores. They based it all off the prone COF which is 40 shots 50yd, 40 shot Dewar (20 at 50 and 20 at 100), then 40 shot at 100yd.

One note on the metric 100yd target there is no X ring. Any shot inside the 10 ring that doesn't touch the ring is considered an X FYI

12. Berger.Fan222

Berger.Fan222

Anyone know of a postal league that includes F-SBR? Lots of parents are interested in getting their children shooting, but are having challenges finding F-SBR matches within driving distance. Postal Matches in F-SBR would be awesome!

13. Heman

Heman

I run one through CIHPRS www.cihprs.org
    Shoot the 120 rounds once a month mail me the targets scored, I verify. Then submit them at the end. Run this October through March. Have thought about doing it during the season but usually to busy shooting matches.

14. Medic505

Hi Tom, I'm not saying it's easy at all. I remember all too well how shooting indoor at 50 feet ate my lunch. I'm just saying that if this is to mimic F-Class, then stretch it out and let the wind be a greater factor. I consider 200 yards with a .22 similar to a .308 at 600. Matter of fact, 95% of the practice I do for F-Class is with a .22 at 200 yards.

I'd be really hard pressed to drive 1500 miles one way to shoot 50 yards. To each their own I guess.

seymour fish likes this.
  15. Tom Baker

Tom Baker

Hidy Dean,

I gotcha. I'd love to see 50, 100, and 200 in F class .22 matches. Probably not to be. I know in our 50 and 100 matches when the breeze kicks up, that doggone little x ring at 50 is an elusive butterfly for most of us.

Yep, I can't be driving that far either, especially when we're having some really competitive .22 matches here locally. See you guys later in the year, come on down.

16. Berger.Fan222

Berger.Fan222

Wow! This is awesome. Thanks so much for the time and effort to put this together. Too bad I didn't know about this opportunity earlier. I'll be putting the word out about this to my students, friends, and family. You might not see increased participation in the remaining months this winter, due to the need to order targets and other arrangements, but I expect you'll see a healthy blip if you run it again next year!

17. js2013

js2013

Kudos to the NRA for adding smallbore F class. But I agree with the other posters that 200 yards would be better and more challenging.

18. Medic505

I'm looking forward to the regional at Capitan, going to put a few more rocks in my pocket to fight the wind.

Immike likes this.
  19. rmist

rmist

Where can you shoot these NOW on the east coast that are sanctioned ? Any in the PA, VA, DE areas?

Va Jim likes this.
  20. Erud

Erud Gold $$ Contributor

NRA outdoor smallbore is shot at 50 yards, 50 meters, and 100 yards, and has been for many years. With that being the case, all ranges built for NRA outdoor smallbore matches are 100 yards long. Adding a 200 yard stage for f-class shooters is just not going to be possible at dedicated SB ranges. The range that I shoot smallbore matches at would require the removal of several hundred mature trees to get a 200 yard shot in.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018