Novelty revolver load a joke?

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by KentuckyFisherman, Jan 26, 2019.

1. KentuckyFisherman

KentuckyFisherman

I was scanning articles about the SHOT Show and came across this new .38 Special load that Browning has announced. There's a lot I don't understand about ballistics, but it seems to me the two discs in this load are likely to fly just about any direction except where you're pointing. Is this going to be marketed to new shooters who don't know any better, or is there something of value here?

upload_2019-1-26_19-51-58.png

Attached Files:

2. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Its not for shooting groups at distance its like the pdx-1 410 ammo made for personal defense

rickiesrevenge and Bc'z like this.
  3. McGraw

McGraw Silver $$ Contributor

Ok we need to see what that does on the pattern board.

mikeinct, Bc'z and Snuggie like this.
  4. Boyd L.

Boyd L. Witty comment under development

Beyond a few yards the impact of the discs will be unpredictable. The birdshot will be much more useful.

Bc'z and Immike like this.
  5. Hino895

Hino895 Silver $$ Contributor

I make up almost the same load for .38,357 and 44mag except I use cardboard wads both over and under the shot column.
    Use 2-3 grains of 700X and open up the primer hole slightly to keep the primer from backing out.

mikeinct and GotRDid like this.
  6. Kermit in Va.

Kermit in Va.

Ky Fish...you'd want to shoot it in a
    sa sa saa...so what difference does it make ???

Kermit...Underdog...

7. KentuckyFisherman

KentuckyFisherman

Well, Donnie, now that Mossberg is making a pistol, most anything is possible, right? :rolleyes:

8. Kermit in Va.

Kermit in Va.

Get u 1 and send it to me...
    I'll stamp it and it'll be good-to-go...

Kermit

Hino895 likes this.
  9. joshb

joshb Gold $$ Contributor

They’ve had those out for years. Some have more discs. Strictly a close quarters defense load.

10. MClark

MClark

For close range defense there are many strange loads, especially for shotguns. I have seen for sale flechettes, carpet tacks, bolo (2 balls with cable between). I had a friend whose favorite truck gun load was Dragon's Breath.

MrMajestic, dickn52, Snuggie and 2 others like this.
  11. Dos XX

Dos XX Bystanders Should Also Wear Safety Goggles Gold $$ Contributor

12. GotRDid

GotRDid

Yep, .38 Spl loads with 4 of those discs have been and gone. They were fairly stable at close range (say bad breath distance to about 15’) but showed signs of flipping like a coin beyond that. Still wouldn’t want to catch one.
    Not sure about penetration, but even with a heavy coat on, I’m sure you couldn’t ignore being struck by one or more of those 4 discs.
    GotRDid.

13. Outrider27

Outrider27 Gold $$ Contributor

I made loads for 38/357 similar to what Hino895 describes above; my use was snake loads in rattlesnake or copperhead country. They worked fine for that, but then the max range was about 6-7 feet. Have no idea how they'd pattern beyond that distance.

Ken, mikeinct and GotRDid like this.
  14. riflewoman

riflewoman Gold $$ Contributor

I don’t think they’re meant for EDC, nightstand defense...where even a 38 penetration is problematic.

And snakes...it’s always snakes...

mikeinct and gambleone like this.
  15. Milo 2.0

Milo 2.0

I may be off base, but I think if you used those in self defense you'll be sitting in a courtroom(civil suit) explaining why you felt the need to burn the body too.

16. dickn52

dickn52 Gold $$ Contributor

The wrongful death attorneys are lined up down the street...waiting.

gambleone likes this.
  17. Ggmac

Ggmac Gold $$ Contributor

First shot out of my bedside revolver is snake shot , second is 38 with 4 discs and third is the old manstopper and last 2 are 158semi wadcutter .
    Strictly to be used when woken up , half a sleep , no glasses so I want the boom , muzzle blast and impact ( even if bird shot ) to give me a chance to aim and hopefully grab my shotgun . My pistols are a too, to allow me to grab my shotgun/ rifle .
    Yes , I personally tested the spread and penetration . You would be suprised of the birdshot spread and the disc penetration .
    The old manstopper was made by Alberts bullets , soft lead hollow wadcutter with a tit in the middle . Box of 500 in 1978 ish only about 100 used . Thank God ALL in testing .

18. biggun2869

biggun2869 Silver $$ Contributor

Wiley Clapp from American rifleman did that many years ago. If I remember right he tried different numbers of the discs and they were lead. I always thought 4 was the best Number but only at 7-12 feet. Gladly I've never had to use them. Also the old lead wadcutter turned around backwards, great big hollow point but unstable past 15 feet. They would have to hurt!
    Attorneys come on I'd still rather be alive and the bad SOB 6' under, at least he had to go first and he's going down and I'm going up.

19. akajun

akajun

Nothing more than snake loads for a pistol. Take two gas checks , put one in, fill with shot, put the other on top flush with the case mouth, roll crimp.
    Back when I was a teenager a 41 mag was my only real revolver and you couldn’t buy snake loads or shot capsules for that caliber.
    The few cottonmouths I shot with them never slithered again.

Ken, mikeinct and MrMajestic like this.
  20. Bob Sebold

Bob Sebold Gold $$ Contributor

This load is designed for clearing out two things. A car when your sitting in it, or your mind.

rr2030 likes this.