Noslers

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by Oldshooter, May 5, 2017.

1. Oldshooter

Oldshooter

I would estimate that 95% of my shooting has been ground squirrels in Ca with a Ruger 223 with 55 gr ballistic tips. When I moved to Ky and bought a small farm with deer on it I automatically reloaded with the Nosler out of habit. I used a Savage 7mag for the deer and never had to take a second shot on any. When looking for a 6.5 creedmore load I see a lot more Bergers and Hornady bullets mentioned. Am I missing something useing the Nosler ballistic tips for bigger game?

2. watercam

watercam Gold $$ Contributor

Nope. They are fine! My son took one deer and two boar with Nosler Partitions past 200 yards with a 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser. Great penetration and expansion. If you are used to them, use them.

Oldshooter likes this.
  3. Deton8tor

Deton8tor

I too shoot Nosler bullets for hunting of all types. Have shot numerous deere and porkers with BT's and Partitions. But, for me the Nosler Partiton is second to known when it comes to killing with authority.

Oldshooter likes this.
  4. bradleya479

bradleya479

Keep in mind the OP mentioned Nosler Ballistic Tips not the Partition which is two totally different animals. There are two different Ballistic Tip bullets. BT varmint and BT hunting the varmint version being a very thin jacketed bullet that is very explosive upon impact and not suitable for larger game. The BT hunting is a bonded core bullet with controlled expansion that retains much of its weight to give you deep penetration and wound channels on larger game fine for deer size animals. So in my opinion Noslers are great for hunting as long as you select the correct bullet!

Oldshooter likes this.
  5. nakneker

nakneker Gold $$ Contributor

Ballistic tips are often under rated for Big game. Like already mentioned just make sure you use the right one for big game. Great bullets

270WinDude and Oldshooter like this.
  6. snert

snert Silver $$ Contributor

I use the NBT 7mm 150 grain in my 7 Rem Mag and it is a deer whopper. I get chest/neck/ rib shoot thru to 650 yards with baseball size exits.

Oldshooter likes this.
  7. HTSmith

HTSmith Silver $$ Contributor

The 120 Gr Ballistic Tip is good on deer. I've moved to the 130 Gr Accubond because we've had some bears move into the area, but they don't seem to put them down quite as quickly.

Oldshooter likes this.
  8. Charlie-NY

Charlie-NY

"The BT hunting is a bonded core bullet with controlled expansion that retains much of its weight".

The Nosler Ballistic Tip is not a bonded core bullet and typically displays rapid expansion in thin skinned game. Nosler's "Accubond" bullet is their bonded core bullet which retains 60-70% of its weight in most circumstances.

Oldshooter likes this.
  9. john 800

john 800

I have never owned a 6.5 but i have taken alot of deer woth a 270 win with 130 and150 ballistic tips. Balistic tips are a fairly soft projctile, which i like, so for deer i just lean towards a heavy for caliber bullet. Tough and fast(light) or soft and heavy, either can work very well.

270WinDude and Oldshooter like this.
  10. RW

RW Gold $$ Contributor

I have personaly killled more hogs than most people would see and i did it with 25 cal ballistic tips and I know there will will people that will cotridict
    I have used 25 ballistic tips to kill more hogs than most people will ever see out of a 25-06 87 grainers and I know there will be people that will want a more controlled expansion but the have been very good to me!

Oldshooter likes this.
  11. brians356

brians356 Silver $$ Contributor

I've used 130 BT from 270 Win on one mule deer (230 yards) and 100 BT from 250 Ackley on one pronghorn (340 yards) and neither animal took a step, both bullets exited, broadside chest cavity shots.
    -

Oldshooter likes this.
  12. Riesel

Riesel Gold $$ Contributor

In my opinion the Nosler Ballistic Tip is an excellent hunting bullet, except, if the shot is close, 75 yards or less. They might splatter on impact at higher velocities and especially on shoulder shots. We're referring to thin skin deer here. Not sure about hogs. I have changed most of my hunting bullets to SST and will probably experiment with the ELD-X.

Oldshooter likes this.
  13. chevytruck_83

chevytruck_83

I think a lot of people running the 6.5 creedmoor look up what the pros use on here and don't consider anything else. Also a lot of hunters seem more inclined to stick with a caliber they are happy with and haven't switched to the creedmoor yet. This is why I think hunting bullets and the 6.5 creedmoor aren't mentioned a lot together

Oldshooter likes this.