Northern Rockies Long Range Tournament - Missoula, Mt

Discussion in 'Competition Forum (All Calibers)' started by jameydan, Sep 27, 2015.

1. jameydan

jameydan

[​IMG]

The sixth annual Northern Rockies Tournament concluded this weekend. The NRA Long Range (sling) and F-Class regional was fired over two weekends, with the sling shooters going at it two weekends ago, and the F-classers squaring off this weekend. We had some terrific shooting among the 89 competitors who participated in the tournament. The range had great weather for most of both weekends and there were TWO new pending NRA national records set.

David Gosnell (as noted in the other thread) fired a 200-17X at the 1000yd line. David was reportedly complete with his record rounds in about 4 1/2 minutes. One of the Montana junior shooters was his pit puller and Zach really worked hard to give good, fast pit service.

LTC Donald Erpenbach broke his previous Service record for the Palma format match in F-TR, with a 442-23X. Interestingly, Don also had the high 800 yard stage of that match, besting all the F-TR AND F-Open shooters with his .308 Borden rifle.

During the sling portion of the tournament, Allen Spiker fired a perfect Palma score and a 1095-62X (1100 point long range regional agg.). There were numerous personal bests over both weekends including some other scores that came within 1 point of other national records. There has now been 14 national records (including 2 pending) fired in the last six years at this tournament.

Great work by all shooters and we will get some additional info up in the next couple days.

Tournament Conditions
    Both weekends had generally good conditions, with both having periods of time when conditions were excellent. This year, like several of the last few years, we had our fair share of forest fire smoke; bad enough to warrant a "Hazardous" conditions rating by the MT DEQ. Yet, the with the range's location in the mountains, it was relatively free of the severe smoke effecting the region. The Service Rifle competitors had the hardest time with visibility, yet they still pulled off High Master scores!

Team Matches
    A total of 14 teams participated in the tournament with 5 sling teams, 3 FTR teams, 4 F-Open teams and 2 ARNG teams shooting their M2010 and M110 rifles. The USTacticalSupply.com team of Spiker, Hering, Powell and Andersson took the win in the sling division. The F-TR team of Christopherson, Milanuk, Oakes and Ague shot a great score and were only one point off a national record. F-Open team honors went to Team Wyoming Armory consisting of Ford, Frye, Evans and Van Galder. The ARNG Tactical division was won by the sniper instructors and combat team competitors out of Little Rock, AR.

Long Range Prone Regional (sling)
    The prone regional had a light turnout this year with many of the regulars MIA this year. There were a total of 34 shooters with Palma rifles and Service rifles making up the majority of the competitors. US Rifle team members Allen Spiker and Steven Powell took the Gold and Silver respectively and Steffen Bunde earning the Bronze as Powell barely out X'ed him 1084-46X to 1084-43X. Spiker's overall score took the win and was just 2 points of the national record in the open category. The Service rifle division was very hotly contested this year with 11 shooters competing for top service rifle award. Cody Shields, a previous Porter trophy winner at Camp Perry, ended on top of the heap. Any Rifle division was won by Dennis Carroll of Augusta, MT who is also the 2015 MT State Champion.

F-Class Regional
    The F-Classers got started this past weekend with 55 shooters; 22 F-Open and the remainder F-TR.

F-TR
    Donald Erpenbach took the Gold in F-TR, as well as the Montana State champion title with a 1023-35X and Niklas Montin and junior Andrew McLain rounded out the top three. McLain has been shooting great since he started shooting and has been extensively coached in shooting and reloading by Erpenbach.

A number of the F-TR shooters will be receiving new classification cards from the NRA, as they shot enough rounds above their classification this weekend to get re-classified.

This year, the All National Guard Team and the Montana ARNG requested that they be able to participate using their newly acquired M2010 sniper rifle systems in addition to their M110's. We formed up a separate division for them to participate in a director's match. It was interesting to note that nearly all the M2010 shooters finished within a few points of each other. We are proud to note that the top M2010 shooter was a Montana ARNG member and local ranch hand, Jake Tyrrell of Helena, MT. Their rifles were shot suppressed and all the competitors were truely impressed by the new M2010's. Some of the soldiers shot over 220 rounds of 300 Win Mag over the course of 4 days and it was easier to handle the recoil because of the terrific recoil mitigation the suppressors afforded. While the suppressors helped the shooters handle the recoil well, they presented other issues the shooters had to overcome. Namely, the strong mirage the cans created as they heated up from the high volume of fire. Major David Stapp of the NG MTU was the overall high ARNG shooter. In his first long range match he used a combo of borrowed rifles including a .223 Savage and a M2010. In spite of the variety of rifles used, Stapp was the division winner in 5 of the 8 matches/stages.

F-Open
    The big news is in the F-Open division is the huge score that David Gosnell shot in a 1000yd match with a 200-17X. Unknown to Gosnell was how well Jeff Reed, a first time F-Class shooter (established benchrest shooter), was firing. Reed was on the same relay as Gosnell, but firing at a slower pace. Reed was clean thru shot 14 and really high on the X count at that point. Gosnell was well finished with his string and the suspense was certainly building. It was shaping up like it could have went to either shooter, but then Reed had a few dropped points, and the win and national record remained safe with Gosnell.

Overall, Gosnell captured the Gold in F-Open Fellow Wyoming Armory teammates Chris Ford and Tracy Frye earned the Silver and Bronze. The Montana State F-Open Champion is Shawn Williams. As with the F-TR division, many of the F-Open shooters will also be advancing their classifications.

Congrats to all prone and F-Class shooters and see you in 2016.

2015 Northern Rockies Tournament Sponsors
    We would like to thank all our generous sponsors that donated their quality products for prizes.
    Nightforce Optics
    X-Caliber Barrels
    Lilja barrels
    Brux Barrels
    McGowen Barrels
    Shilen Barrels
    Defiance Actions
    Elisio - Competition Machine
    USTacticalSupply.com
    BigBrass.com
    Decot Shooting Glasses
    Stallings Machine - Right Sight
    Berger Bullets
    Sierra Bullets
    Creedmoor Sports
    Western Powders
    Dillon Precision
    Sportsmans Warehouse
    Holland Gunsmithing and Shooters Supply

And a special thanks to the All National Guard Team and the Montana ARNG.

JW

2. jameydan

jameydan

Link to sling results:
    http://forum.accurateshooter.com/results/2015%20Northern%20Rockies%20Final%20Bulletin%20-%20Sling.pdf

Link to F-Class Results:
    http://forum.accurateshooter.com/results/2015%20Northern%20Rockies%20Tournament%20Bulletin%20F-Class%20Final.pdf

Montana State Champions in F-TR and F-Open, Donald Erpenbach and Shawn Williams
    [​IMG]

NRA Regional Medallion winners in F-Open and F-TR (from left to right): David Gosnell (Gold), Chris Ford (Silver), Tracy Frye (Bronze), Andrew McLain (Bronze), Niklas Montin (Silver), Don Erpenbach (Gold).
    [​IMG]

The gentlemen to beat and national record setters in F-Class:
    [​IMG]

Sling match winners: Allen Spiker (Gold), (Steven Powell - Silver - missing from photo) Steffen Bunde (Bronze), Neil Adams (High Sr), Cody Shields (High Service Rifle), and Dennis Carroll the 2015 MT state champion
    [​IMG]

Calm view from 1000yds
    [​IMG]

Looking thru the old Unertl, lots of 10's and X's
    [​IMG]

Andrew Wylde traveled over from England to shoot
    [​IMG]

(EDIT: Let the Wookie win! - Jay)
    [​IMG]

Some of the MT ARNG guys
    [​IMG]

The AR, LA and MS ARNG competitors
    [​IMG]

EDIT: Fixed images, hopefully I got them all right. - Jay

3. Trebor Snave

Trebor Snave

[​IMG]

For those who have not been there, here's a shot from the 1000 yard line at Deep Creek. I encourage anyone who can possibly make it to attend a shoot there.

4. milanuk

milanuk Team Savage Gold $$ Contributor

Great match, same as the last couple Missoula events I've attended.

Weather was very calm in the early mornings... you know its good conditions when a 149-9X @ 800 (F-TR) puts you 4-5 places *down*.

The wind in the afternoon was a little more sporty. Not exactly 'bad' relative other 'big wind' ranges, but it just wouldn't settle down for more than a couple shots. Sometimes it would come back around, sometimes it felt like every shot was a sighter. Theories abounded about which combination of flags and mirage lied less than the rest. After the team match the first day, I thought I had a handle on the wind/mirage. After the 1000yd stage of the Palma match on Saturday, I was pretty well disabused of that notion ;)

It was great to see old friends, make some new ones, and also get to see the All-Guard shooters come up with their XM-2010 rifles (suppressed .300WM sniper rifles).

Thanks to all the generous sponsors and especially all the event staff who helped make the tournament possible. I've already got next years event penciled in on my calendar!

5. Jay Christopherson

Jay Christopherson it's turtles, all the way down Administrator

I'm pretty sure that David Gosnell has some sort of mind-control over the conditions. I've never seen anyone who can read, absorb, adjust, and put a quality shot on target as fast as he can. Pretty amazing.

This is my second year at this match and it's one of my favorites. Jamey (who is not even a F-Class shooter!) does an outstanding job of organizing the match and pulling together quality sponsors. The level of competition this year was intense.

For all it's reputation as a range that lends itself to setting records (which, admittedly, it clearly does), when the condition *does* come up, I find it to be one of the most difficult ranges to dope. Sometimes the flags lie and sometimes they are telling the truth. Same goes for mirage. I'll give anyone $100 if they can give me a consistent tell for that range... ;-)

I saw a couple of near misses on national records and some amazing match strings turned in. I can't recommend it enough.

6. mysticplayer

mysticplayer

[​IMG]

NO RECORDS WERE SET DURING THE SHOOTING OF THIS RELAY ;D

First time at this range and it was great fun.

First relays are supposed to be calm... Sunday, not so much.

Great fun when all indicators tell you it is 2 to 3 mins LEFT AND RIGHT at the same time.... and they are both wrong

Fun times....

Jerry

PS Don't shoot when the dust devils go through....

7. mysticplayer

mysticplayer

[​IMG]

A very nice shooting and working rifle. In Canada, we can't own "cans" as civilians. First time being around one.

Man, they work well on so many levels. Great tech and QUIET!!!!

Great groups of guys with some very nice shooting. You wouldn't want one of these guys sending a gift your way from the "K".

Jerry

PS a big huge THANKS to jameydan for his big work in putting on the match. The match ran very well... just get the flags and/or mirage to agree a bit more next year

8. Northridge

Northridge

I always love that voodoo!!!! wind at deep creek Missoula. This weekend was no exception. crisscross flags and funny mirage. Thank for letting me shoot with all of you.

Shawn Williams

9. Chappy

Chappy

Fun weekend had by all. Thanks for running awesome matches the last couple weeks Jamey! The F Class and sling alike appreciate the effort!

Attached Files:

10. Gonzos

Gonzos Gold $$ Contributor

First off - a big thank you to Jamey Williams. This was a well run, very organized match. Jamey did an outstanding job keeping us all herded in the same direction. Thanks Jamey.

Secondly - the venue was awesome. The range is beautiful as is all of western Montana. The facilities are well groomed and the trip to the range from Missoula is very scenic.

We had great prizes and really appreciate the sponsors supporting this match.

Getting to be there when David Gosnell shot the record was a special treat. David shot great the whole match as did Don Erpenbach in F-TR.

You need to mark your calendars for next year - this is a match you don't want to miss!

11. jameydan

jameydan

Updates, pictures and match results added to posts #1 and 2.

Next Year's program and registrations will be sent out in the next month or so by email. If you want to participate, contact me by email.

Best in Marksmanship.

12. Benjerman08

Benjerman08

Top notch match all the way. Jamey and crew ran everything smooth and professional.

T. Frye

13. milanuk

milanuk Team Savage Gold $$ Contributor

Besides David Gosnell's outstanding record string, and Don Erpenbach's new Service category record for F/TR, and the Guard shooters with their blingy new XM2010 sniper rifles... there was another notable there that needs mentioning... a British sling shooter, Andrew Wilde, who has been touring around the USA on a Triumph motorcycle.

Andrew shot his first F-class match @ Deep Creek that weekend, using the iron sights (what he's used to) on his Palma/TR rifle and a spotting scope, along with a bipod and rear bag (I think he regressed on one string and used a sling-n-coat as pictured above). Normally I'm a fan of more magnification = more information = more better ;) but there were a couple strings there where he didn't do too bad relative to the field. Less distraction seemed to pay off on those strings where the flags and mirage were twitching twitching like a squirrel on meth... ???

14. ronsatspokane

ronsatspokane

Thanks again for a well run match Jamey. Those of us who attended have a pretty good idea of how much time you put into it and it is appreciated. I personally liked the being able to relax on the ready as the next relay up. That relaxation didn't reflect in my scores but I suspect, as Monte said, that little problem had more to do with those twitching meth squirrels stirring up the wind:)

I see a number of pictures but none of the guy who put in all the hard work to make it happen. This is Jamey:

Attached Files: