Norma dasher brass trim question

Discussion in '6BR, 6BR Improved & Wildcats' started by Kingweb50, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Kingweb50

Kingweb50

I have a new dasher barrel I just received chambered in lapua dasher. I was hoping the lapua br brass was going to show up during my barrel wait time but it has not. I am thinking of getting some norma brass to play with for now till the lapua brass is available again.

What would I have to trim the norma brass to to be able to work in my lapua chamber?

Will any neck turning be required?

Or any other brass modifications be needed?

2. dkhunt14

dkhunt14

It depends on chamber length and neck diameter. I would get a Sinclair guage where you trim a case short and put in the case like a bullet. Then you close the bolt and it hits the end of neck in chamber and gets pushed in where the end of chamber is. Now you measure and trim a few thousandths shorter. A Dasher reamer can be any where from 1.540 to 1.570 or more. Whatever neck you have in your reamer Will determine how much you need to neckturn. Matt

3. geraldgee

geraldgee Gold $$ Contributor

4. dkhunt14

dkhunt14

5. KMart

KMart Gold $$ Contributor

I have some of the new Norma 6 dasher brass and measured a few. The case OAL measured between 1.593 and 1.599. These measurements will give you a rough idea about how much you have to trim back.

That said, listen to the above posts to get an exact trim in YOUR chamber.

6. geraldgee

geraldgee Gold $$ Contributor

You are correct on all counts. I made the assumption that it was chambered with a standard Dasher reamer as he mentioned trimming the Norma brass. I will add that some guys prefer .004 neck clearance. I dont want that much but there are those who argue for it

Thanks for keeping me straight

Gerald

7. Kingweb50

Kingweb50

Ok I ordered the sinclair 6mm tight neck chamber length gauge. Thanks for the help on this