Norma 6.5 Grendel Brass Question

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by gunsandgunsmithing, Jan 6, 2018.

1. gunsandgunsmithing

gunsandgunsmithing The best tuners and wind flags on the market Gold $$ Contributor

I've tried most all of the Grendel brass out there, including Lapua 7x62x39 necked down and blown out. By far, the Lapua 6.5 Grendel brass has been best. I've never tried the Norma Grendel brass, though.

I'm using it for both 30 and 6mm cartridges that I simply neck it up or down to 6mm or 30 cal. I lose virtually no cases while making it using Lapua brass and have been perfectly satisfied with the quality.

My questions are, how does the Norma hold up to pressure vs Lapua, how thick is the neck brass vs same and is the flash hole the same as Lapua.

I need to make up some new 30 Major cases and was considering trying the Norma. I push the brass pretty hard in a custom bolt gun so that's what I'm wanting to hear in terms of pressure vs Lapua.
    The Lapua seems to be on backorder from several places now, so it got me thinking about trying the Norma.

Anything you can tell me is appreciated.

Thanks!--Mike

2. LVLAaron

LVLAaron

When shooting 6.5 CM I found that norma large primer pockets were smoked after 3-5 firings and Lapua lasts much longer. That's with pretty mild loads...

3. gunsandgunsmithing

gunsandgunsmithing The best tuners and wind flags on the market Gold $$ Contributor

Thank you.

I've heard good things about the Norma PPC brass. Just wondering how the Grendel brass is, specifically. I use Norma for my .280 Ackley and it seems to hold up well and I'm running it pretty hot too...Just not quite as hot as I run the Grendel brass in my BR rigs.

4. johnfred1965

johnfred1965 Silver $$ Contributor

How many cases do you need? I have 100 Lapua AA headstamp, and 100 Blue box if that will cover your needs.

5. gunsandgunsmithing

I usually buy 200 at a time. I may take what you have. Pm me a price please.

...and thank you for the help.

6. Ledd Slinger

Ledd Slinger Gold $$ Contributor

I'm waiting on my bolt to be returned from getting fluted then gonna fire form Norma 6PPC brass into 243 LBC Turbo. Gonna push it to see how fast it will go with the Norma brass. Expecting the primer pockets to hold well from what I've read. One thing I will say is that the Norma 6 PPC neck wall consistency is amazing.

WyleWD and gunsandgunsmithing like this.
  7. mao0720

mao0720 Gold $$ Contributor

I have several hundred of the Norma 6.5 grendel brass right now that I am using in a 243 LBC AR (straight 6mm Grendel in an AR15). I got it on a huge sale from midway. It is decent but doesn't hold a candle to the strength of Lapua. I put it right in the middle between of hornady and lapua as far as being able to withstand hotter loads. Hornady is obviously really soft, Norma is substantially better, but the Lapua is Substantially better than the Norma. This is in a suppressed Gas gun which has issues with early unlock even with an adjustable gas block and heavy buffer, so it is really tough on brass. In a bolt gun the longevity/ durability may be substantially better. My plan is to use up the 200 Norma that I have (which will take a while since this rifle doesn't get shot much) and then get lapua brass to replace it. I have not measured the necks but I can measure a few tomorrow and let you know what the thickness/ consistency looks like.

8. Ledd Slinger

Is it the primer pockets wearing out?

What is the neck wall thickness on the Norma 6.5 Grendel brass after necking down to 6mm?

gunsandgunsmithing likes this.
  9. mao0720

Yes and they get ejector marks at much lower charges than the Lapua brass. Again part of that is due to it being a suppressed gas gun, but part of it is that the Norma brass is definitely softer.

10. smokinghole

smokinghole

I will repeat what was already said. Norma is not as strong as Lapua. I hear Starline is putting out grendel brass, might be worth a look. I've read decent reports on their Creedmoor brass, and .308 Brass. The price difference might make a little prep/sorting worth it vs Lapua.

11. gunsandgunsmithing

Thank you..that's the sort of info I'm looking for. I would appreciate hearing from you on neck thickness with the Norma. What does a loaded round measure?
    Thanks for your help!

Thanks also to johnfred1965 for the Lapua.

Still interested in Norma info just to see if it may be worth trying at some point.

Mike Ezell

Ledd Slinger and WyleWD like this.
  12. WyleWD

WyleWD Silver $$ Contributor

Mike, we've been using Norma and Lapua for several years. The Norma is definitely worth the try. WD

13. gunsandgunsmithing

Thanks Wayne!

WyleWD likes this.
  14. mao0720

Hey guys. Sorry for taking so long to get back to you. Here are some measurements. All of my Norma brass has been necked down to 6MM but had otherwise not been processed. I measured the neck of 5 pieces of brass and theses are the ranges I got for thickness:
    0.0136-0.0142
    0.0141-0.0146
    0.0141-0.0151
    0.0135-0.0151
    0.0137-0.0156

A loaded round neck measure .274 with a 6MM 107gr Matchking.

15. Ledd Slinger

That's pretty dang thick. Looks to be pretty close to the thickness of Hornady 6.5 Grendel brass after necking down to 6mm. Thanks for the feedback :)

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  16. gunsandgunsmithing

Thanks for posting this. That's even thicker than, or very near Lapua brass IIRC. I think the loaded, unturned 6Grendel Lapua brass I have measures .271ish. My reamer is a .271 so I turn for no larger than a .269 loaded round.

Thanks again.

IME, Norma runs all over the place in terms of thickness, from caliber the caliber. .280 Norma brass is a lot thicker than Nosler .280, for example. But, their PPC brass is thin.

Thanks for posting this.

Ledd Slinger likes this.