No ejector?

Discussion in 'Competition Forum (All Calibers)' started by calib, Jul 17, 2017.

1. calib

calib

Can you guys tell me why when ordering an action any jector would be an option? I recently ordered an action and was asked if I wanted the ejector or not, I had told them that the action that I am currently running is stamping every piece of brass no matter the charge but it was a different company.

Will this give me different pressure signs will it be harder to read pressure signs?

2. Sniper338

Sniper338 Silver $$ Contributor

Some people perfer in competition mainly to shoot, open the bolt, and not have their brass come flying out, dent cases, etc etc... you just grab it and it comes out. You still have the extractor so it pulls it out of the chamber though.

With no ejector, i beleive you look at primers first still... craters, flattening... primers are slways the first sign of pressure to my knowledge

3. calib

calib

Thanks sniper338,
    Sounds good, I don't plan to fire this fast, it will be a 375 chey tac single shot. Maybe the occasional 3 to five rounds, but really hope to keep it down to 1 to 2 shots max. Will be for hunting primarily, long range rocks and some steel.

4. Sniper338

Sniper338 Silver $$ Contributor

Nothing to do with speed, its just whether or not you want your brass flying out of the action when you open it.

My next action wont have one. Tends to aid in dinging up brass, which I dont want when I take all the time to case prep and really watch the necks of my cases. I catch each piece by hand as it is and eject slow.

Another option is to have the ejector, but use a lower tension spring where it ejects it, but doesnt make it fly out.. just enough to push it out of the action..

5. BoydAllen

BoydAllen Gold $$ Contributor

One little piece of information that might be useful for those that are trying to work at the top level of accuracy is that if I drop one of my PPC cases on the concrete and it lands so that the neck is dented, even though I straighten the dent out and cannot see any evidence that it existed after the case is sized, the next time that I shoot it, it the shot will be off a little. After that one firing, things return to normal. Factory ejector springs can be strong enough to deform necks when the hit the inside of the action as they come out of the chamber. One fellow that I know that is in the short range benchrest record book in several places does not even have an ejector in his rail gun action, preferring to pick cases off of his bolt face. On the other hand, for a hunting rifle, where a fast follow up shot might be needed, I would have one that was set up to have the brass just clear the action...every time, no matter what speed the bolt was operated.

hogpatrol likes this.
  6. CaptainMal

CaptainMal Silver $$ Contributor

Without an ejector it's easy to set your leade. Just remove firing pin assembly, set test case with bullet in carefully and change seating depth in until bolt falls on it's own. With an ejector there is tension on the case, stopping that from happening. Then you have to remove the ejector spring to measure leade.

I do not like ejectors unless you need one for rapid shooting.

hogpatrol and Sniper338 like this.
  7. calib

calib

Great points from both of you. I have a Stiller tac 338 now that just barely rejects the wildcat cases I am running and I already have to pull cases out a little, but when I was running 338 norma cases they would pop up pretty quick and hit the action before coming out. My 6slr on a rem s/a rejects just enough when I slow fire I can grab with bolt hand.

I would like to be able to get them out of the way, but I don't want to fling them or slam them into the action wall.

8. Don

Don Silver $$ Contributor

As above has pointed out Fly Brass
    I shoot Prone Matches . I have some Barnad Actions that came with out them.
    I have a couple Remington Action Rifles.
    I have removed them from my Remington's .
    There are some that believe The ejector puts undo pressure on the point it contacts the case ?

9. carlsbad

carlsbad Details matter. Silver $$ Contributor

I shorten the springs to make the ejectors almost useless. If I get it right, the ejector rotates the brass 90 degrees and leaves it laying there in the "stovepipe" position for me to grab.

--Jerry

dogdude and Immike like this.
  10. Toby Bradshaw

Toby Bradshaw Gold $$ Contributor

Mechanical ejectors, like the Kelbly TG, don't have (or cause) any of these problems.

upload_2017-7-17_17-43-28.jpeg

11. brians356

brians356 Gold $$ Contributor

And if a case has been over chamfered, with a sharpish end of the neck wall, that drop onto concrete can render it a cull, unless one can accept trimming the neck back significantly shorter.
    -

12. gstaylorg

gstaylorg Silver $$ Contributor

Even a mild ejector spring can flat spot the necks as you retract the bolt unless you grab the case on its way out or pull the bolt back very slowly. In my hands, it is necessary to use an oversized expander mandrel to push out the flat spot because the bushing die doesn't always completely remove it during the resizing process.

In addition, the ejector face is unsupported for all practical purposes. It is possible to get ejector marks on brass with loads that are not over pressure, which can sometimes be a misleading sign. If you want ejection, by all means use one. However, I went with no ejector on my last F-TR builds and I'll never have another one on a dedicated F-Class rifle. They're really not necessary for that type of shooting and the solid bolt face won't give you ejector marks due to the unsupported region under the casehead. Of course, ejector marks will no longer be a viable pressure sign, but I generally don't run my loads that hot anyhow.

13. expiper

expiper

Most top level "B"enchrest shooters have/use an ejector,,,it really speeds up your time when shooting a condition,,,if you want to not use it just remove the spring,,,or get a TG (static) ejector like Toby recomended above in post #10....at the bench you can use a towell for a dam and catch them ,,,if its a hunting rifle you need one,,,,if you ever sell an anction it is worth way more with an ejector,,,I would never buy a new action without one,,,Roger

14. brians356

brians356 Gold $$ Contributor

A couple of my factory rifles have ejector springs so strong that it takes enough finger pressure to keep the case off the side wall while slowly retracting that I worry I'm distorting the rim of the case.
    -

15. calib

calib

Pretty even remarks on here. Luckily bat is just up the road and would put a ejector in at any time if I wanted on. I may try with out first, see how well it works and then if I decide I need one I will have them throw it in. Really I want a 1 and done shot, but practice and being very familiar with your equipment could make for fast unload and load for follow ups.

16. Mozella

Mozella

None of my bolt rifles have ejectors.

17. Immike

Immike

Take the spring out and cut a few coils off. I have 5 cut off mine, just enough to make the brass fall out.

calib, brians356 and carlsbad like this.
  18. noload

noload

Ejectors aren't good for Dasher fire forming, and hold the case not square with the chamber due to spring pressure, whether it shows on paper or not ??
    Thats the main reason I dislike them.

carlsbad likes this.
  19. mgunderson

mgunderson sling shooter Silver $$ Contributor

Calib,

What is your sport? You will get different answers based on your sport. They seem to come in and out of favor as the rules change.

The flat spots on the necks is new to me. I would like to learn more about that.

20. gstaylorg

gstaylorg Silver $$ Contributor

Mgunderson - the neck flat spot is caused by the offset nature of a typical ejector, which pushes on the inner edge of the casehead so as to make the case neck move out toward the ejection port as you pull back the bolt. The offset spring/ejector makes the case mouth/neck fly toward the ejection port after it clears the chamber. The flat spot on the neck is simply where the case mouth/neck starts moving outward after it clears the chamber, but hits the inside wall of the action before the bolt has been pulled back far enough to allow it to cleanly fly out the ejector port. Even a very light ejector spring can cause this to happen. Resizing with a bushing die will not completely remove the flat spot; you have to re-open up the neck with an expander mandrel first. I'm guessing that if it was something you needed to be concerned about, you would probably already know; even mild flat spots are visually pretty obvious. However, if you think it might be an issue, check just below the case mouth with a concentricity gauge. You can do this before/after resizing to determine whether your resizing process is fully removing the flat spot.

calib likes this.