Nk turning the 6BRA

Discussion in '6BR, 6BR Improved & Wildcats' started by tn noshooter, Dec 17, 2017.

1. dmoran

dmoran Gold $$ Contributor

Yepper.... every aspect is worthy of testing, with the targets rarely lying, that tell the tale to what is and isn't significant to all of our scenario's. Of course, seating force and/or pulls are a way to find relevance leading up to the range tests. Or so is my experience...
    Donovan

Jet and kvd like this.
  2. kvd

kvd Silver $$ Contributor

Man, I need to get some of your truth targets - mine are fibbers!

dmoran likes this.
  3. Raythemanroe

Raythemanroe Bullet Whisperer Silver $$ Contributor

No less than .002 and shoot for between .002 - .003 ... The bullets you will be running should work in that window... I run Vapor Trails about .0035 measurable tension also...

Ray

dmoran likes this.
  4. dmoran

dmoran Gold $$ Contributor

What distance?
    The further away the target/test is, typically tells me the best story.
    Donovan

5. kvd

kvd Silver $$ Contributor

My local range only goes out to 400 yards so this distance is where I mostly gather my data. We shoot a 1000 yard match once a month but I've never tried to shoot the 6 BRA for this. I think 7mm (7 RSAUM) works better at 1000 yds.

dmoran likes this.
  6. JohnMill

JohnMill Gold $$ Contributor

I am certain that Alex is your best source of info for you as a client 'cause he wants you to shoot a rifle he built well. In the interest of theory; I was started in BR by one gunsmith and several engineers, tool&die makers and machinists and we would sit around in the gunshop and babble. One of the t&d guys talked about turning necks and he said "The main purpose of turning necks is the precise alignment of the bullet to the bore. There are those that believe the throating will do that job but when every force applied to it is forward what would make it sudenly go sideways" . I have found ( in my limited experience ) that those rifleswith the most precisely lined bores and turned necks shoot considerably better than the rest and well worth all the effort.
    If it hits off center even a 10th or a 100th it will smear the jacket and continue down the bore that much off.

R.Morehouse likes this.
  7. Joe R

Joe R Gold $$ Contributor

When my kids were young they sometimes would get impatient with my explanations and ask me: "What is the simple answer?" My answer was "There is no simple answer, so be wary of simple answers." In the real world the answers are most often multi factorial, and nowhere is that more true than in physics.

I respectfully disagree that "The main purpose of turning necks is the precise alignment of the bullet to the bore." IMO precise alignment to the bore, like concentricity, is a byproduct of good brass prep and reloading process. IMO the main reason to turn necks and anneal brass is neck tension for proper/clean bullet release and hopefully consistent pressure/velocity.

I can prove that statement any day of the week by having very concentric ammo, yet by changing the neck tension I can alter its precision, velocity and POI. I can also do it by changing seating depth and selection of powder. Its multi factorial, no simple answer.

Kindest regards,

Joe

foxguy likes this.
  8. JohnMill

JohnMill Gold $$ Contributor

By all means continueTo go your way but disagreeing is not proving. The group that I mentioned was a rare mix. A couple of MENSAs and the others. I was most affected by the if it starts off center, it stays off center as I had considered the throat a centering device myself. It is true there is no simple answers