Nitrided barrel question

Discussion in 'ELR, Ballistics & Bullets Board' started by rsbhunter, Sep 26, 2018.

1. rsbhunter

rsbhunter

Maybe not the right section of the forum, but have any of you had a nitrided barrel either engraved or acid etched ? Have 2 barrels that I need to put the cartridge designation on and don't know who to have do it ? Thanks for any help....rsbhunter

2. spclark

spclark Gold $$ Contributor

3. alinwa

alinwa

4. rsbhunter

rsbhunter

One is a Pac nor, the other 1 a Krieger. We're sent directly to gunsmith, then he sent them to be nitrided. Thanks for the info, I have access to a laser engraver, just don't know if it would work.....rsbhunter

5. rsbhunter

rsbhunter

That etching kit from Penn tool is awesome, but for the money, I can add a couple hundred Lapua brass to my collection...but I will file the information in case I ever need it....rsbhunter

6. spclark

spclark Gold $$ Contributor

From their description I think you’re right, but I’d still post them a query about whether they know it’d work as described on nitrided steel before I’d buy one. That they mention carbide is telling me their answer likely would be yes.

Shouldn’t a professional gunsmith be marking barrels they chamber with the chamber description? All of mine have been save one I had done by an advanced amateur who’s also a shooter.

7. rsbhunter

rsbhunter

I would have thought so, but I've seen a lot of prefits that don't, I think that unless they chamber and fit, headspace the barrel, they don't . Of course, they don't know where the barrel will index, so it wouldn't be visible if it ended up on the bottom of barrel. Not a big deal, if needed , I think that Penn Tool kit would do it...I will check into the laser first.....rsbhunter

8. alinwa

alinwa

It is law that YES, they must be permanently marked. The Etcho Matic produces a legal marking. Pre-fits are also legally marked.

9. rsbhunter

rsbhunter

I just noticed on "bughole barrels" that the cartridge is marked on the breechface....would be pretty hard to see once threaded on to the action....rsbhunter