Nightforce

Discussion in 'Scopes, Optics, LRFs, Spotters, BoreScopes' started by gaboy, Oct 2, 2018.

1. gaboy

gaboy

I see a lot of Nightforce 12x42 for sale. What's the main reason for getting rid of them and what are they being replaced with?

2. Keith Glasscock

Keith Glasscock True believer - Straight 284 Gold $$ Contributor

They are older optical technology. The newer scopes are brighter, lighter, and see through the mirage better.

The Nightforce Competition scope is surprisingly better than either my Benchrest or NXS models while being significantly lighter.

3. johara1

johara1

Are you talking BR or NXS 12-42? Weight is the main factor, But they are rock solid compared to the newer competition. Plus at the shoots you see a ton of the BR models going as prizes and they are sold by the winners.... jim

4. gaboy

gaboy

Yes, I'm talking about the BR. Have been wanting one for a while to put on a rimfire rifle. Have heard nothing but good about them but was curious why so many are selling them. Thanks for the replies.

5. hoz53

hoz53 Gold $$ Contributor

What newer scopes are you speaking of besides the NF comp? I don’t care about the weight and I’d like to try a scope that is brighter than a BR with as solid of tracking.

6. Keith Glasscock

Keith Glasscock True believer - Straight 284 Gold $$ Contributor

The comp is the one I'm talking about. The Kahles K1050 is pretty good too. Never worked with a March, don't know anything about them.

7. JimPag

JimPag Silver $$ Contributor

That's funny. Ask Roy Hunter or Jim Eazor about seeing thru mirage better with the Comp. That why both of them got rid of 3 between the both of them because the Comp amplified the mirage so bad that they both ended up getting a 10-60 March. Eazor told me the he looked thru a Kahles K1050 at a 1000 yard match and he told me that the K1050 is head and shoulders better than the March 10-60 or the NF Comp when it comes to mirage. I have multiple scopes of all 3 mentioned and I have noticed the NF is the worst scope when it comes to mirage also, no matter if you turn the power down.

8. hoz53

Thank you for the info.

9. hoz53

And what scope of These would you say would be the clearest and brightest Jim?
    I want one of them and Mabie OP does to. Thanks

10. JimPag

JimPag Silver $$ Contributor

Without a doubt looking thru those 3 the NF Comp is the brightest & clearest. Trouble is it is too bright and clear when there is mirage. It just seems to amplify the mirage where as the other 2 scopes it is a lot less noticeable. I only shoot short range up to 300 yards and meters that's why I replaced the 55 Comp on my 30x47 that I use at 300 yards with first a March 10-60 and now put one of my K1050's on it.

11. hoz53

Thanks much—thats great info I was looking for.

12. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE Gold $$ Contributor

Maybe the glass is so good on a comp that youre seeing what the others are missing? Thats the way i see it. If you look out there and theres mirage in one scope and not in the other you cant just deny it away- its still there. Id rather see it and not wish it away but to each his own i guess. Reminds me of wishing the wind away by not using wind flags and blaming rogue shots on cheek weld or neck tension

13. 1shot

1shot Site $$ Sponsor

I shoot a 10-60 March, and 90% of the time I have their light reducing ring installed on the objective lens because it is so bright. I have sung nothing but praises for this scope since the day I got it. If a Kahles is superior to the March, I'd like to take a lookie see.

Lloyd

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  14. dkhunt14

dkhunt14

I have looked through all three and a Schimdt and Bender. The Nightforce Competition was clearer and brighter then all. Next was the Schimdt or Kahles. They were pretty close to one another. We had 5 or 6 guys do the looking and pretty much all agreed to which looked best. This was done at 1000 yards on a target and late afternoon. Matt

Down South and swd like this.
  15. Terry

Terry Gold $$ Contributor

16. swd

swd Yep that's me Gold $$ Contributor

There is still nothing but good about them. Technology has caught up with them a bit. Some of the newer glass is definately better, however in their comparable price range the glass is still about the same. Side parallax adjustment is more convenient and they are heavy, but the BR's are still as reliable and as capable of being on record setting rifles as they were 20 years ago. There is no reason you can't buy one today and retire from shooting with it at a much later date.

17. CaptainMal

CaptainMal Silver $$ Contributor

Disagree with much of what is above. The Nightforce 12-42 BR scope has excellent optics and solid, solid mechanicals. I have them and GE and Nightforce Comp. The most reliable and easiest to use, with forgiving eye box and clarity is the 12-42 BR. Now I grant you the Nightforce Comp seems brighter and sure is nice. None of this is why I think so many BR Nightforce scopes are sold.

I think it's because of mental issues.

Oh so many shooters, often with minimal experience, think that the highest power is the only way to go. 42X is a whole lot of power but not as much as others. Many records were and ARE shot today with Nightforce BR scopes. Their function is not second-rate to anything but their image is. Many want others to see and admire what they have. They want to see that parallel know on the side and not on the objective lens. None of that makes other scopes any better but so many seek out some kind of peer respect for their egos. That means they often get rid of what works and get something that may also works but seems to command more "respect" in their minds.

Lots of our economy works like that. The Nightforce BR 12-42 is the best bargain sold today and at the same time, maybe the best quality you need to set BR records.

18. Bugs

Bugs Gold $$ Contributor

someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think Matt Kline's small group HG record group at Williamsport was set using a Nightforce 8-32 BR scope. ? ? ? ?

19. Down South

Down South FTR Junkie Gold $$ Contributor

The NF benchrest is a great scope mechanically, glass may not be the "best" but it's plenty good enough. If you can spare the extra weight of this scope it's definatley a great scope for the money. I can promise you that the points i drop in matches ain't the scopes fault.......:(:D

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    seymour fish, Dgd6mm and swd like this.