Nightforce Competion problems

Discussion in 'Scopes, Optics, LRFs, Spotters, BoreScopes' started by striperfisher, Sep 25, 2018.

1. hoz53

hoz53 Gold $$ Contributor

I was going to post this exact question but you beat me to it. I know the NF comp problems have been real. I was planning on buying one until the POI issues started coming up. If there hasn’t been an “official”fix by now I think I’ll give up on the idea. I have some BRs I can use and I think I’ll try some different brands. Thanks for generating this info.

2. striperfisher

striperfisher

Mine is headed back now. Got the official call that nothing wrong was found and it had to of been my lightly lapped rings causing the problem...my rings still had a gap between top and bottom as they are supposed to have even after light lapping.

Keep in mind this scope was mounted only on a 13# rimfire benchrest rifle.

How stupid do these people think we are!

It cost me $55 to ship them this scope, it better be fixed

3. swd

swd Yep that's me Gold $$ Contributor

Has anyone actually had a Comp come back that admitted they repaired? LOL.

4. Greyfox

Greyfox Gold $$ Contributor

No, but I sent one out not holding POI and it was returned corrected. For whatever reason they choose to not admit a problem. That being said, they are very willing to fix the problem. Everything mechanical eventually fails. As long as they are willing to honor the warranty I'm good with it. Every company has problem/makes mistakes. It's what happens after the mistake is made that matters. They will fix it.

Rick

5. swd

swd Yep that's me Gold $$ Contributor

That seems to be the way it works. Fix it but not admit it. As long as they come back fixed I'm ok with it. So far mine has held zero fine but you never know when and if...

6. hoz53

i agree with this but I think what should happen with a good company is they admit the truth and say when the problem has been fixed and what it is/was. If I buy a new comp do I know the problem has been fixed or will they only fix it if I gripe and send it back?.. I dunno so I don’t wanna take the risk. I shouldn’t pay 2K for a scope that has problems. NF could fix this by just being transparent on the issue. I’ve got 4 NF scopes and I really wanted to try an SHV but I’m not sure I want to buy any of their scopes now.

Mulligan likes this.
  7. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE Gold $$ Contributor

Buy with confidence. Theres not a clearer scope out there than a nf comp. if you cant trust it send it back. They will fix it even if they dont admit it and itll be rock solid. You should really put it on a scope checker first though- seems like the torches get lit awful quick on the net and every one ever made turns out to be bad.

Down South likes this.
  8. hoz53

i believe the clarity part and surely id do the scope checker. ill think about it a little maw -Thanks

9. Greyfox

Greyfox Gold $$ Contributor

I don't own stock in NF, so what you choose to do is no big deal either way with me. I agree with Dusty, you won't find a clearer scope than a NH Comp. I have two NF Comp. 3 March 10x60 and a March 48X. The NF scopes are clearer, noticeably. I will admit I trust the March's a little more, but them my NF's are 2013 models. I can only guess why NF doesn't choose to admit to problems. But we all know it anyway. I will repeat, all mechanical devices eventually fail. You should seriously consider this size purchase, but in the end it won't change the facts. Good luck.

Rick

10. hoz53

Thanks for the additional info.

Greyfox likes this.
  11. CaptainMal

CaptainMal Silver $$ Contributor

Buy the new ones. They are fine. Sent my older one back after failing the scope check. Same story as others. Scope check on return showed a good scope and it is.

Mulligan likes this.
  12. powderbrake

powderbrake Gold $$ Contributor

I just came home from watching a few relays of the 2018 IBS 600 yard Nationals at The St. Louis Benchrest Rifle club. I estimate at least 50% of the scopes were Nightforce Competition models.

13. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE Gold $$ Contributor

Mine was. No problems and i clicked it all day

Down South and shoot4fun like this.