Nightforce Competion problems

Discussion in 'Scopes, Optics, LRFs, Spotters, BoreScopes' started by striperfisher, Sep 25, 2018.

1. striperfisher

striperfisher

Has the problems with the nf comps shifting poi been resolved?

Sent mine back last week for poi shifts got the same blame the ring bases ramblings etc etc..

Do they have a fix? And anyone who has returned there comp, was the problem corrected?

2. Jet

Jet Gold $$ Contributor

I sent 2 back last year and they came back fixed (verified on a Hood scope checker). Was told there was nothing wrong with them. Will test them again in a few months to see if they stayed fixed through this years shooting. Have a 3rd that will be going back this week for the same problem as the 1st two.

I picked up a Kahles a couple weeks ago and am looking forward to testing it. Hope it holds up better than the Comps.

Rich

3. johara1

johara1

I had heard that they fixed them in 2014 but it may just be a rumor. I know of three that went south for impact shift since then and they were way newer than 2014...... jim

4. Tim Singleton

Tim Singleton Gold $$ Contributor

Are you guys talking about the fixed 42x or that variable 15-55x

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  5. striperfisher

striperfisher

I am referring to the 15-55 comps. I haven't read anything on problems with the fixed 42 comp. I bought a used 42 comp this week should be here tommorow. I hope it's a good scope.

My 15-55 comp was only used for rimfire benchrest never even mounted on a center fire. I borrowed a friends 12-42 nf benchrest and all problems went away!

Alot of people in rimfire benchrest shoot a bungee cord from the rest to the trigger guard on a one piece rest... kinda gives the scope the air rifle shock.

Just wandering if these bungee cords dont add to the already existing problems of these nf comps.

6. johara1

johara1

I had three 2014 or newer competitions go bad myself..... all for the same thing, plus the same song and dance over the phone.....If I remember right there is one that checked good one in Montana..... jim

7. jr600yd

jr600yd Gold $$ Contributor

Sightron is sounding better and better!

8. Jdne5b

Jdne5b Gold $$ Contributor

Until it breaks, wont track and they wont fix it.

Right @300rum ?

Eternal Student likes this.
  9. phlegm

phlegm

I picked up a used Comp 15-55x that the previous owner claimed had issues. When I mounted it on my rifle, I couldn't get it to induce the errors he said it had.

The more I hear about people sending them back with no official diagnosis, it makes me wonder how much comes down to something with the hardware that goes away once it's remounted.

10. johara1

johara1

I need to make a correction to post#5 The good NF. Competition in Montana started shooting all over the place. So there are NO good NF. competition scopes in Montana ..... jim

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  11. johara1

johara1

I remounted four of them with other scopes and the problem went away, put them back on and the problem is back. Send them back and they find nothing is wrong and get them back and mount them and you have the same problem you had before you sent them..... jim

12. shoot4fun

shoot4fun Gold $$ Contributor

Last match my NF Comp went haywire. Gun went from 2" to 11" groups. First thought was "THAT D#@*n NF!" but turned out those BAT pic rings had shot loose. Tightened the rings and hot two group under 2" back to back.
    I hate when it isn't someone else's fault! LOL

13. tmwinds

tmwinds Gold $$ Contributor

I was on the bench next to shoot4fun when his mounts came unglued. What he didn't tell was he also shot a .6xx 5 shot group which is a new range record. I think this proves beyond any doubt that the NF Competition impact shifts move into the group rather than out.:rolleyes:

Jet, gunsandgunsmithing and shoot4fun like this.
  14. johara1

johara1

I wish mine would have been driver error, but when when you take the rings apart and put a March on it and level it up and it shoots small again it is the scope. It would have saved me a lot of barrels and time not counting the nearly 10,000.00 in scopes. At my age they cheated me out of time, that is priceless... jim

15. group therapy

group therapy Silver $$ Contributor

YIKES!!!!!!!!:mad:

16. dkhunt14

dkhunt14

Maybe that goes with them 20 Brux barrels you got chambered that wouldn't shoot. Matt

17. johara1

johara1

No, Matt. I will never know because I could not believe that NF. competition I had were bad after the good 12-42 NXS and BR models I had before. It was hard to give up on a brand that you had success with. Clear is great but if they won't hold point of impact , they are worthless in BR, even short range they are falling apart.... It seems they are getting some fixed now, for how long we will see..... jim

18. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE Gold $$ Contributor

I have one that was rock solid out of the box. And i also have 2 that are rock solid now- one took 2 trips but they finally remounted the ocular lens and it was fixed, the other had a loose crosshair assembly. They know the issues and CAN fix them.

19. Puzzaz01

Puzzaz01 Gold $$ Contributor

I think I'll just stay with the 12x42 BRs

Darrin

20. Jet

Jet Gold $$ Contributor

I think that is a wise choice