Nightforce benchrest

Discussion in 'Scopes, Optics, LRFs, Spotters, BoreScopes' started by Spike A, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Spike A

Spike A Silver $$ Contributor

I have been thinking about picking one up but seems like there has been a lot coming up for sale and just makes me wonder why? Are the nxs or competitions really that much better? Should I just break down and buy one of those? Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated

Spike

2. R.Morehouse

R.Morehouse Gold $$ Contributor

The NF-BR is a fine scope. Some find it to be a bit on the heavy side and think that extra weight could be better distributed elsewhere....;)

3. Spike A

Gotta say weight is the least of my concerns haha

4. Dave Berg

Dave Berg Here Goes Nuthin' Silver $$ Contributor

I can't speak for others but I can tell you why I sold mine.

A dozen years ago, had four of the 12-42 BR models. The older gold letter ones with the NP-R2 reticle. I upgraded those to the newer white letter with plain fine crosshair reticles because (1) where I shoot you have to be able to see your bullet holes and the hash marks just made that tougher and (2) at a range with a roof the gold numbers and hash marks are kind of hard to see. Sold three of them and bought three 2013 Competitions when they first came out. Reticles I didn't like but there were only two offered. The Competition models are lighter and with a 17 pound weight limit I can put more weight in the bottom of the buttstock where it helps. Others may disagree but I believe the glass is a little better in the Competition. There's also the psychological issue with the BR of having the hardware to illuminate the reticle which I paid for and have to look at but never once turned on.

Then the 2014 Competition came out and I could get zero stop, high speed turrets and fine crosshairs so the 2013's were sold and replaced with 2014's.

There were a couple March's mixed in also. A 10-60 and a fixed 40. Didn't care for either of those. The non-transferable warranty made them tougher to sell and I lost more $ on those two than all the Nightforces combined.

So I had a left over 12-42 BR. An excellent scope but if I'm ever in the position of NEEDING a fourth scope I'd go with another competition so it didn't make sense to keep it. I believe I paid $1250 for it so it cost me about $200 to own it for three or four years.

A used BR in very good shape is $1,000-$1,100 vs $1400 MSRP new. Used 2014 or later Competitions are pretty rare and command a high price, not all that much below what a new one goes for. I'd look at it with the assumption that it will get sold someday and how much will it cost to own it for a few years. My guess would be the cost of ownership of the BR isn't that much less than the Competition, but the initial investment is higher. Don't know about your bank but mine is paying me 0.013% interest on my Super Premium Double Platinum Interest checking account so I have no problem investing in scopes, etc.

The NXS is a great scope also but if you find one with a reticle you like, zero stop and 1/8" clicks the seller, if he knows what he's got, is probably gonna' want at least what he paid for it.

It's only money....

5. Spike A

Perfect exactly the info and experience I was after hearing about .. agree it's only money ... my wife seems to think about me spending it a little differently haha

6. dkhunt14

dkhunt14

I believe the competition has a clearer view, but there have been complaints of not holding impact. The BR is a good scope, rock solid and probably has set more long-range records then all other scopes combined. Matt

dmoran, dogdude and hogpatrol like this.
  7. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Gold $$ Contributor

Yeah, and at the end of the game, the Kings and the pawns go in the same box. :p

LarryDScott and Cakes like this.
  8. JimPag

JimPag Silver $$ Contributor

Used 2014 Comps are pretty rare and demand a higher price? Are you kidding me? I've seen more 2014 and newer 55 Comp scopes for sale on this site and some people are selling them for as low as $1650.00 because of POI issues.

9. Dave Berg

For some reason I missed and am unable to find any of those $1650 ads. Must have all been deleted. All that's left are $1,850 and up and very few of those.

peter6mm and kneedtospeed like this.
  10. Spike A

Hopefully not the same box... kind of like the idea of having my own... told my wife she can be buried on top of me .. good place for her ;).... but I had also heard a rumor that the comps were not holding zero as good as br's but figured it must just have been that a rumor..

highlife and hogpatrol like this.
  11. dkhunt14

dkhunt14

Dallas 251 is selling one for 1650 under scopes for sale. Matt

dmoran likes this.
  12. Dave Berg

It's a 2013. No Zero Stop, no HS turrets, sucky reticle unless you like dots and a $200 lower original price.

13. bugman

bugman Silver $$ Contributor

the reason that scope is 1650 is because it is a 2013...without zero stop, less MOA per revolution, etc.. Dave Berg is correct, the later models do not sell for as low as 1650.

I have owned at least 7 or 8 NF over the years. Had to send ONE back because the ocular lens came loose from the heavy recoil. I need more magnification now, and the four scopes I own are 3 NF Comps and one March. That is my two cents.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
  14. JamesnTN

JamesnTN

I would trade 1 15-55 comp with no issues for 2 NF 12-42 NP-R2 reticle with same no issue and prefer white letter scopes.

15. Gman

Gman Gold $$ Contributor

May I ask, "Why the preference for the white letter models" ?

Just curious

16. dkhunt14

dkhunt14

Newer and you can see the numbers better. Matt

dmoran and Dgd6mm like this.
  17. JamesnTN

JamesnTN

+1 ^ that's why

dmoran likes this.
  18. Jet

Jet Rich Jette Gold $$ Contributor

Spike

The NF 12-42BR scopes are fine scopes and you will find them on the firing line at most every mid and long range BR and F Class match held. They are heavy but dependable. It is likely that more mid and long range records have been set and matches won with NF BRs than any other scope. There are other quality scopes available but none with the proven track record.

Good Shooting

Rich

hogpatrol, Dgd6mm and dkhunt14 like this.
  19. Spike A

Just throws me off how come so many coming up for sale... is it because there were so many bought ?

20. JimPag

JimPag Silver $$ Contributor

No because so many are not holding POI.