Nightforce 42x44 experiences?

Discussion in 'Scopes, Optics, LRFs, Spotters, BoreScopes' started by damoncali, Jul 27, 2019.

1. damoncali

damoncali Bullet Maker Site $$ Sponsor

I don’t hear much about the fixed 42x Nightforce. Anyone have any experience with them in a benchrest context? Good, bad?

2. Tim Singleton

Tim Singleton Silver $$ Contributor

I didn’t hang on to mine long enough to know if it hold poi
    I didn’t like the Eye relief.

Looked like from the pics there were some at the world championships this year

3. damoncali

Was the eye relief too short? Or too little exit pupil?

4. SHall

SHall Silver $$ Contributor

I shoot 600 and 1000 yard BR. I have had many, many high end scopes, all of the NF’s, March 40, 50, 10-60,
    5-50, 8-80, plus Leupold , Vortex, etc. I needed a lightweight scope this year to make weight with a particually heavy Light Gun. I bought a 42x NF. I am very critical when it comes to scopes. I am very pleased with scope at 1000 yards even in heavy mirage in mid day in the summer. I have no plans to replace it. Samuel Hall

5. Tim Singleton

I dont know which of the two it was
    I just couldn't get back on the target as fast as I could with my 40x March or Valdada

6. damoncali

Are these even available anymore? Its on the Nightforce website, but the big vendors seem to be showing it as discontinued.

7. Tim Singleton

As far as I know
    Yes, they have been discontinued

8. Kyle Schultz

Kyle Schultz Gold $$ Contributor

If you want a NF Comp 42X, here's where you go...

https://www.eurooptic.com/C559-NF-Nightforce-COMPETITION-Lightweight-42x44mm.aspx

I spent a ton of time sitting behind a buddy's NF 42X Comp. I'm well aware of all the issues and complaints. IMO, all the competing scopes have issues. There is no clear winner. Love NF glass. And, for this killer price, I decided it was the best option for me. I bought it and it's waiting for my rifle to be finished. We'll see how it goes. Good luck!

Rushty, LA50SHOOTER and dmoran like this.
  9. davidjoe

davidjoe Skunkworks Gold $$ Contributor

These were a fantastic deal when discontinuation was announced but are gone. (Almost gone that is, see above).

These are the perfect scope for the era of etargets. There is no longer discerning whether to challenge score with 60+ power glass. There’s no zooming to low power to see wind trend in marker placement on 6 targets. Your target is Swiss cheese anyway and there’s no marker on it to study relative to cross hair placement. These scopes resolve better than NSX and weigh 20.3 ounces.

That weight savings went to longer barrels.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
    LA50SHOOTER likes this.
  10. Stepsjframe

Stepsjframe

I had a fixed 36 br nightforce and it came down to 8yds great clarity no temp shift at all and was bang on rangefinding
    I am sure you can bring it in closer but need to make a tool to take locking ring out a bit to allow you to shift focal.

11. SPJ

SPJ Gold $$ Contributor

I’ll bet a 52 mm objective lens would turn this into an even better choice for optics.
    If weight is not a factor of course

damoncali likes this.
  12. Stepsjframe

Stepsjframe

I previously owned a BR 12-42X56 with the NP2DD Reticle. It is extremely clear and I loved the reticle. Unfortunately, it is also extremely heavy and my rifle did not perform well with that scope. You can normally find them used for approximately $1250.00. I saw one of the new 42 X 44's at the recent PSL and the owner was very happy with it. As Bob Finger stated the 15-55 Competition model is the new must have scope in this game. Most seem to prefer them with the fine cross hair reticle.

13. damoncali

I have a 15-55x Competition and a 12-42x Benchrest. I like the Competition, but I don't know that I need the variable power and the price tag. I'm not sure how I feel about a 1mm exit pupil on the fixed power scope either - that's pretty tight, and one of the issues I have with the Competition when the power is dialed up. The 12-42x is nice too, but I like side parallax adjustment, and I'm not wild about the available reticles (and I'm not keen on paying for a swap). I would prefer cap-less turrets as well.

I'd love a 40x fixed power with a 56mm objective and a 30mm tube that has the Nightforce Competition turrets on it. Too bad they don't make one.

14. JimPag

JimPag Silver $$ Contributor

I've owned 3 of them. Have no issues. Know some competitors who own them and they love the scope. I just wish NF would make a higher power fixed lightweight scope like the 42 was initially suppose to be. You can't beat the clarity on any of the Comp scopes. I have checked all 3 with a checker and they were rock solid.

anschuter2013 likes this.
  15. davidjoe

davidjoe Skunkworks Gold $$ Contributor

I saw firsthand yesterday how necessary it is to keep your eye in exactly the right place. Awesome picture when you do.