Nicky New Guy

Discussion in 'Competition Forum (All Calibers)' started by Maggiesdraws, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Maggiesdraws

Maggiesdraws

Hi folks, Just as the header indicates, Nicky New Guy here.

By way of introduction, 67 years old, newly retired and believe I'd like to do some shooting. But, don't know much about how to get started and what type of matches I'd like to shoot. I do know this is going to be for fun, with 67 year old eyes, well you know what I mean.......

I do have a rifle, now remember I'm doing this for fun, it's a Rem. 700 ADL in 308 caliber with a plastic stock and heavy contour barrel with 1:12 twist..

I think I might like to shoot out to 600 yards or a bit further, again, I'll be competing with myself. One of the next things on my list is to buy a scope but I'm holding off till I have an idea on what I'm going to need in regards to optics. Theres those 67 year ols eyes again!

A little more back ground, I've reloaded shotgun shells for several years and would like to reload for the 308. From what I've been able to gather on this site reloading center fire is a bit different than shot gun shells. However I enjoy reloading and I want to do so for the 308.

Any insight that you folks would like to share about shooting, types of matches and optics would be greatly appreciated. Wish I knew someone who did this but that's not the case.

I live in central Ohio and would like to learn of any ranges that I could visit where they do some medium to long range (up to 1000 yard) shooting would be great.

Thanks for your help and hope your having a great day.

2. ShootDots

ShootDots Gold $$ Contributor

Welcome to you my friend! As far as shooting goes, my guess is that you are looking at F-T/R. There are some superlative people on here who can help you with that as that is their forte. Of the 2 that come immediately to mind, one is Jade Delcombre (Down South) on here and the other is Denys Beauchemin (Bayou Shooter) on here. Both will be glad to help any way they can.. Just send them a P.M. and you will be off and running! Good Luck!

3. Immike

Immike Silver $$ Contributor

That's a Cool handle (Maggie's draws) I like that one! The scope is a pretty important piece that will last for a lifetime so choose well. These guys that Uncle Ben ( shoot dots) suggested will get you going in the right direction. Welcome aboard and enjoy the ride.

4. C Valentine

C Valentine Silver $$ Contributor

Welcome! Just jump right in...the range is great. ;) I was right where you are a little over a year ago and am now totally hooked on F/TR. You won't find a better bunch of folks, and all willing to help. I can sympathize with the "old eyes" thing...look through your scope for 5 seconds and everything goes blurry! :eek:

5. Immike

Immike Silver $$ Contributor

Try adjusting the rear eye piece until the reticle is clear.

6. Rtheurer

Rtheurer

Your Forum Name ( Maggies Draws) hints, that you may have shot NRA across the course shooting at one time or another as the is the Slang term for a Miss. Is this correct?

Did you know that the NRA is now allowing an optics class in XTC course shooting? Also you can shoot your scoped rifle in Prone Mid Range and Long range event out of a sling as well. AND you can also shoot your scoped rifle in the F class prone matches in the FTR division off a bipod and rear bag. F class was originated from older shooters who could no longer shoot iron sights and wanted to stay in the game of prone shooting, Its a lot easier on the body I believe but don't think it is going to be easy to score well as that ten and X ring are pretty small.

You have lots of options.... Welcome and ask away/
    Russ T

7. Maggiesdraws

Maggiesdraws

Good morning folks.

Thanks for the responses.

"Maggies Draws", First heard that expression in 1965 at the rifle range at Paris Island. I was beginning to think my Senior Drill Instructor thought that was my name. I wonder if they still use that term, might not be politically correct. On the other hand I doubt the Marine Corp is overly concerned about that concept...

Because I'm at the very beginning of the learning curve I'm looking for a description of the matches to better undestand what is involved, guess I'm not looking in the right places because I haven't found much. Any pointers in that direction would be great, you know something that has some meat on it so I can get a good understanding.

Like I mentioned above, I live in central Ohio and I'm looking for a range that I can visit where they shoot these matches. That would be helpfull, might run into some folks I could chat with.

Also looking to reload and right now I'm leaning toward a turrent type press, any thoughts about that?

Any suggestions about any of the above? I'm ready to listen.

Thanks much.

8. C Valentine

C Valentine Silver $$ Contributor

You mean adjust my reticle every time my eyes went blurry? That's all I would be doing at a match! LOL It's sharp as a tack when I first look through the scope...been adjusted against a white wall, etc. And if I look away then come back after a few seconds my sight pic is sharp, just cant keep it for more than about 5 or 10 seconds. Didn't have this problem until after cataract surgery. Of course maybe I couldnt see well enough before the surgery to know there was a problem! ;)

9. abishai

abishai Gold $$ Contributor

# 1 , get a nightforce , # 2 ditch the 30s and get a speedy 6 (243) ...... Dasher , 6xc , 6x47 lapua . Compete against yourself with cheaper bullets , less wind drift , less recoil ,less powder, less drop , more range , more Xs ...... 2 groups consider the 308 a viable cartridge , the us military , and ftr guys

10. Rtheurer

Rtheurer

Agree to a Point...and here is the Butt. In my game of NRA prone the 308 beats your "Speedy 6mm,Dasher,6XC,6X47Lapua on a regular bases. It has put the beat down on many a 6.5X284, 243, 7mmRSAUM 6XC. One case in point is the National Trophy (Mustin) It has been won the last Three years on a row by a 308 shooting a low BC 155gr. http://compete.nra.org/documents/pdf/compete/nat-trophy/tro-198.pdf

I get your jist though. Its much easier to shoot well with those cartridges mentioned above and understand where you are going with it. The 308 has a lot to offer in accuracy...

Russ T

11. Maggiesdraws

Maggiesdraws

Seeing how all this needs to be accomplished within a budget, I'll be staying with the 308 for the time being seeing how it's already in-house. I think for right now it will do what I need it to do, get my feet wet so to speak.

Anyone have experience with Vortex scopes they would like to share? How would 6.5-20x50 PA work for 500-600 yards and perhaps a bit longer work?

I did find a range that shoots out to a 1000 yards about an hour away. They are having a two day shoot this weekend, if the weather holds I'll take a ride over and see what I can learn. Folks at the range said they expect around 100 shooters to be there.

Another question, what is a 20 MOA base?