Nickle brass question.

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by Pa.Mike, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Pa.Mike

Pa.Mike Silver $$ Contributor

I have never handloaded Nickle plated brass before and I am planning on loading a test batch of 7mm br rounds for my stock XP-100. Are there any particular things that I should or need to be aware of or does it act the same as standard rifle brass ? Thank you for any advice you may have !

2. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Load it like normal

waltkrafft and SSL like this.
  3. edwardware

edwardware

Yes. Nickle is quite hard, and will flake during use, introducing particles into the bore. These may become embedded. This can be somewhat reduced by not trimming or chamfering, and carefully brushing necks; it can not be eliminated.

Will you ever notice the difference? Probably not in a pistol

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  4. Straightshooter1

Straightshooter1 Gold $$ Contributor

Last year I picked up about 30 rounds of .308 nickle plated range brass and was curious as to how they might work out. I processed the same as I do my other precision tuned cartridges (and as you can see in the pic below, yes . . . I even turned the necks). There's 4 firings on them and they've worked just fine and not really any different than my other brass of the same manufacturer. Seems you can just proceed to load them just as you wound your "standard" brass.

IMG_0012.JPG

Dusty Stevens likes this.
  5. JohnD

JohnD Silver $$ Contributor

Being harder than brass make sure it’s kept very clean during the sizing process or it could score your die. I’ve used some Winchester nickel and never had a problem.

John

Barlow and Rsadams like this.