Nice buck shot with 6 XC

Discussion in 'Varminter & Hunting Forum' started by Roe, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Roe

Roe

Caught my first stag/buck ever on film. Shot with the 6 XC using 105gr bullets, finding it surprisingly effective even for pretty decent deer.

2. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Don't criticize the farmer with your mouth full. Gold $$ Contributor

That was different. What was the distance?

muleystalker likes this.
  3. STOMP442

STOMP442 Gold $$ Contributor

The 6XC just plain works. I have personally killed a nice Coues at 756 yards with mine. I have a few friends that I have built rifles for that have killed numerous deer with theirs out to some pretty incredible distances. I personally use the 110 Sierra Match King and they are running the 105 Berger Hybrids. There has yet to be a deer that has taken a step or needed a followup shot and that includes a few nice New Mexico Mule Deer.

hogpatrol likes this.
  4. Roe

Roe

Figured it would be. Not all that different to your western hunting though, I imagine pronghorn can be similar. The range was something just over 100.

I have seen Coues on film only, I watch some Randy Newberg episodes. Looks like a lot of fun, but I think the environment would be somewhat challinging for me as I am not at all used to heat and get really hammered when I go to warm places (which for me is anywhere you can wear a Tshirt ).

The factory ammo I can get is Norma with Berger 105 something (apparantly, it has changed) - it shoots absolutely fantastic. The Sierra bullets have been somewhat hard to get in 6mm over here when I did this project. I had mentally shaped this project around the Hornady 103gr ELD X, but that bullet simply would not shoot in my barrel and ended up using the 105 Amax simply because this was the only bullet I could get in the 100gr plus weightclass.

5. EBaker

EBaker

What a beautiful place! Thanks for the video!

6. boltfluter

boltfluter Gold $$ Contributor

Nice stalk and shooting! Now that is the way to retrieve game.:D:D

Paul

7. STOMP442

Definitely don't come to Arizona then. Here in the Southeastern portion of the state even on the late December hunts you are looking at temps starting in the low 30's in the morning and into the 70s by mid day. We can get a cold snap but usually, it's pretty mild. The Northern portions of the state gets much colder winters though.

Roe likes this.
  8. Roe

Roe

No problem, glad you liked it!

Yeah, it makes the job realistic. For the deer cull, it is not unusual to do 200-300 deer per year and retrieving that by hand is simply not doable without an engine. That much bad lifting just ruins your body.

Arizona would be a "scary place" for me, there are simply too many unknowns for me in that environment. Well, not really scare but definitively not somewhere I'd just grab a map and walk into the wilderness. My skills are in wet, cold, windy and boreal conditions.

My comfortzone is about 0-60 F, with 30-50 being near ideal for what I thrive under. I have been to Utah hunting the high country (about 7500'??) and the larger swing in temperature fooled me once or twice with me overdressing as a result. I have also lived in 100-120F dry environment, but can't say I enjoyed it too much. At my location, statistics says I have about 315 days of wind and 240 days of rain per year....

300_whisper likes this.
  9. STOMP442

Damn dude I would move. Heat, cold, and rain I can handle but the wind, forget it. There is nothing worse than wind especially if you are an avid shooter and or hunter.

Mark W likes this.
  10. Sniper338

Sniper338

Shot a few deer with a 6xc and 6BR... aint no different than anything else. Guns a gun. Just aint a common caliber... no different than shooting animals with a 6ppc or 30BR. They will all work fine!!
    IMG_2194.jpg

300_whisper and GotRDid like this.
  11. Roe

Roe

Nice deer! Is that a whitetail? I shot a muledeer last year in Utah but not overly familiar with your deer species.

Oh, I tried. Hard. But then I met this local woman... :eek:

300_whisper likes this.
  12. Capt. Oblivious

Capt. Oblivious

Awesome video, I love hunting with fast 6mms

13. Olspark

Olspark Gold $$ Contributor

Great video. Thanks for sharing it.