next step in optics

Discussion in 'Scopes, Optics, LRFs, Spotters, BoreScopes' started by chet, Sep 13, 2017.

1. chet

chet

been shooting some long range stuff lately, at 300yds there are times when i have to struggle to see the 6.5 bullets holes, i presently have 2 Sightron 8x32x56 scopes. looking for another scope where i would see an improvement, these are great scopes, but looking for some input on shooters who possibly have the scopes i have and looked thru scopes where there was an improvement. was thinking Nightforce but have no idea on what model be better than what i have now.

chet

2. Rogmay

Rogmay Gold $$ Contributor

I have two S-III 10x50's, I can see bullet holes at 300yrds from my sons 6.5CM with both!

holstil and Barlow like this.
  3. Texas10

Texas10 Silver $$ Contributor

When I shoot at 300 yds, I put a two inch orange dot on an 8 1/2 X 11 sheet of white paper. If I can't see the 6mm hole with my Vortex HS 6-24 X 50, I assume it's inside the dot. Otherwise, the hole is easy to see on the white background. BTW: I have 65 y/o eyes aided by trifocals, so... an eagle eyed shooter I'm not, and my scope is nothing near top of the line.

If you're shooting into a black background, well then, I have nothing to suggest except maybe a target camera.

Your Sightron should easily be up to the task. Maybe money is better spent on a fresh eye exam? Not trying to be cute....I know my eyes aren't getting any better, but medicare doesn't cover eyeglasses.

wholman likes this.
  4. mikea5232

mikea5232

I had a Zeiss conquest hd 5-25x50. It wasn't great glass but i could see my group at 500yrds with a 22-250ai on a White back ground. The color of the background makes a huge difference.

5. R.Morehouse

R.Morehouse Gold $$ Contributor

I had one of the scopes you have and thought a lot of it. To go bigger on glass is going to cost a whole lot more than a target camera that will take you to 1000yds. I have one and use it often. It's fun practicing at long range when the mirage is bad to judge your aiming point and see the results on target as clear as can be while still sitting at the bench..........;)

Regards
    Rick

6. Ledd Slinger

Ledd Slinger Gold $$ Contributor

Have you thought about investing in a good spotting scope? I'd recommend Swarovski ATX 95mm or Meopta S2 HD 82mm. Bullet holes on a BLACK background at 300 yards aren't even a challenge for either of those optics. Having a spotter will allow you to view holes for any rifle you take to the range, not just the rifles wearing a scope that can do it.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  7. Jet

Jet Rich Jette Gold $$ Contributor

Butcher block paper works great as target paper. Place some small shoot and see dots on them for aiming points. it will hold up in the rain and it's easy to see your holes if you have the right glass. Conditions play a big factor in how well you can see the holes. A Vortex Golden Eagle may meet your needs without breaking the bank.

Good Shooting

Rich

Ledd Slinger likes this.
  8. carlsbad

carlsbad Details matter. Silver $$ Contributor

The 2% improvement available beyond your 98% scope is not meaningful for what you are looking for. The limiting condition is the air between you and the target and there is nothing a scope con do for it.

Now at dawn, with clear air and no thermals, you should be able to see a 6.5 bullet hole at 600 yards. In perfect seeing conditions the last 2% might help.

--Jerry

9. chet

chet

i agree about mirage, that is mainly the culprit, in the meantime i came a across a like new used
    Nightforce BR Benchrest 12-42x56 NP-R2 C104 with sunshade for 1100.00, any thoughts on this model, any questions i should ask the dealer selling it.

chet

10. ASbobcat

ASbobcat Silver $$ Contributor

I have a Sightron SIII 10-50 and love it, except for the turret markings.
    At 550yds on white background I can see 6.5mm holes WITH mirage and 6mm WITHOUT mirage. At 250yds I can see 22cal holes in still air. Didn't have an opportunity to see them with mirage.
    I'm 68yo and my eyes are not what they used to be.