Newest addition... Tikka T3x .223....

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by TerryH, Oct 6, 2017.

1. TerryH

TerryH Silver $$ Contributor

Thanks to GentleBen for the great deal on my newest addiction...er...addition. Tikka T3x Varmint 24" 1/8 .223. Ben had already added the Night Force 0 moa pic rail along with the Mountain Tactical bolt handle and knurled knob. I disassembled and coated the stock in my usual fashion. House of Kolor automotive urethane base in Passion Purple with Cerakote MC-161 matte clear. I added a Magpul pic rail for the Atlas BT-10LW17 bipod. Optic is the Gen 1 Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 SFP/MOA on Vortex precision low rings. I also added a Lone Star throw lever, Vortex level and Defender flip caps. have a few more things in mind. I'll update as I go.

Excited to shoot it for the first time this weekend!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

joshb and jimmymac like this.
  2. ben lurkin

ben lurkin

Nice looking rig. I'm sure the squirrels will be impressed, perhaps even drawn to, the purple passionfruit stock! ;)

TerryH likes this.
  3. TerryH

Thanks. I only shoot steel and paper. Neither seem all that impressed with the color.

370bc likes this.
  4. SS427

SS427

I like that purple stock. The black accents make the stock with that color.

Let us know how it shoots.

TerryH likes this.
  5. Knotwild

Knotwild Silver $$ Contributor

I definitely want to see how it shoots. I am thinking about one myself.

TerryH likes this.
  6. TerryH

Thanks! Have a few that I've done with the purple and black theme. Those colors just work. Will shoot it and report back tomorrow.

7. TerryH

We will see tomorrow. Only have 100 yards available tomorrow with a couple different rounds. Hornady Black 62 gr. and Australian Outback 55gr. Sierra's. Have some heavier projectile ammo ordered. Will be shooting at my local 1000 yard range next weekend so that'll be the real test.

8. TerryH

Couple of additions came in the mail today from Mountain Tactical. Got the Bob Sled for the mag and a set of hardened action screws. Don't really know if the screws are needed but I figured some hardened screws couldn't hurt.

[​IMG]

The Bob Sled fits perfectly and works just as well. I prefer to single load so it's just about a must.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also got my .223 ammo boxes from Bullets.com. They had them on sale for $2.25 this week so couldn't pass them up.

[​IMG]

Off to my buddy's house to send some lead down range tomorrow.

9. holstil

holstil Silver $$ Contributor

How'd it go?
    Nice looking rig. I use hoc too.

TerryH likes this.
  10. TerryH

Will be shooting this afternoon. I'll report back.

11. TerryH

Just about the only thing that I didn't like about this new rifle is the balance or lack there of. Definitely much too muzzle heavy especially with the bipod. Even though I'm bench or prone shooting I still wanted it to be balanced better.

Tikka fills the butt with a chunk of foam.

[​IMG]

With some help from a newly found friend on the Tikka page on FB I finally realized that the spacer in the butt was just pressed in. I removed it and wrangled the foam out of the stock.

[​IMG]

After debating all kinds of fishing weights, bulk lead shot and so on it finally dawned on me that perhaps I could use duct seal. It's a silly putty like substance that comes in 1 lb. blocks. You can get it in the electrical section at any of the big box stores. I use it inside pellet traps for my air rifles.

[​IMG]

Turns out that 1 block is the perfect weight and perfect amount to barely squeeze into the hollow butt stock. Definitely want to leave it in the package or put it in a baggie or similar as it's kind of oily.

[​IMG]

I just pressed it in with my thumbs to form it to the stock and replaced the spacer and butt pad.

[​IMG]

The rifle is perfectly balanced holding it just in front of the magazine now with the bipod attached.

12. missed

missed

Nice! So you were the one that got it from Ben! I picked up one of the lite models yesterday for my daughter. Boyd's AT1 and my new scope should be here in the next couple weeks. Just need to thread the muzzle and it will be ready to go!

TerryH likes this.
  13. dtucker

dtucker Gold $$ Contributor

Nice paint job, look forward to an update on your date with the rifle.:D

14. TerryH

Yes sir. Ben was great to deal with. Congrats on the new rifle! I'm sure she will love it.

15. 370bc

370bc

Im thinking you have a caddy with spinners on it too! :) Really looks good on the tikka tho!
    I have a T3x in 270 that I put the same modular pieces on. I added the new recoil pad & bolt on muzzle brake, w/YoDave trigger spring. After all of that & OCW i have found several loads that go 1/2 MOA.
    Waiting for the temp to cool down for slaying coyotes.
    I would like a similar paint job except w/ 2 different camo designs. I need all the help I can get dispatching song dogs.
    I am finding is doesn't like to be fouled w/more than 20 shots. It is unreal how slick that action moves.

TerryH likes this.
  16. TerryH

No Caddys or spinners but I did come from the show car world. Some things just never leave you. lol... I have the YoDave spring on order. So you are cleaning every 20 shots? What recoil pad did you get?

370bc likes this.
  17. 370bc

370bc

New Limbsaver. Very nice.
    Tikka's design of stock angle is not as good as a Kimber's. The Tikka kicked like a Mule before the Muzzle brake and recoil pad. Looked like it was made for iron sights and not a scope.
    It seems like the magic number is 20 until groups start opening up.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
  18. TerryH

Few things verified this afternoon. I still suck as a shooter and that is compounded by not being comfortable. I'm going to have to build up the cheek rest on this stock for sure. Could never get a solid weld that I could repeat with any consistency. Felt like my head was just floating. With that being said, I think this little gun is going to be a shooter once I get that issue sorted.

Shot the Australian Outback 55 gr Sierra Blitz @ 100 yards. 12 - 15 mph 45 degree head wind. Shot off a folding table with bipod and rear squeeze bag.

[​IMG]

Several groups of similar size. This being about the best. Could get 2 or 3 in virtually the same hole but could never put 5 good shots together.

[​IMG]

Suggestions are welcome on something decent to extend the cheek weld. Probably need 1/2" more minimum. Will have to be easily removable to clear removing the bolt. Scope is already on low rings. I actually had to mill the rear of the rail to clear the throw lever strap. I am planning on changing the 0 moa rail to a 20 moa. Going to need more vertical adjustment at distance.

19. 370bc

370bc

Clamp a board in front of the bipod legs & then gently put forward pressure while shooting.
    Weight the table down w/ something heavy.

20. TerryH

I've actually shoot off that table quite a bit. Not the best but I'm used to it and it works in a pinch. I will shoot it prone or from a real bench at the range most of the time. I just had to shoot it today and really tough to shoot prone at my buddy's house given the fence and his lack of mowing.