Newer Weatherby products

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by 69mach, Dec 8, 2019.

1. 69mach

69mach Silver $$ Contributor

I see weatherby is producing a lightweight hunter mark 5 with a titanium receiver and it comes with a trigger tech trigger. Another model comes with a carbon fiber wrapped barrel. It seems weatherby has gotten creative since moving to Wyoming. Has anyone any experience with these new rifles?

300_whisper likes this.
  2. Sniper338

Sniper338

Going of of their website... $3000-$3500 for a factory gun is stupid. S.T.U.P.I.D.

For that kind of money why in the hell would you not build a full blown custom?

ShootDots and K22 like this.
  3. nmkid

nmkid Gold $$ Contributor

No, but, I hope to this summer when I'm in Wyo.

4. Mark W

Mark W Gold $$ Contributor

No, it’s not stupid if it’s a quality rifle that fits a person’s needs. Some people have way more money than they do time and knowledge. I seriously doubt that the average shooter would have a clue how to even spec out a custom build that fits their needs.

5. Sniper338

Sniper338

True. I dont disagree.

McGraw and Mark W like this.
  6. 69mach

69mach Silver $$ Contributor

They are always high on their website. I’ve bought several weatherbys new for a lot less that they have listed on their site. Not saying it’s going to be cheap but I doubt very much if that’s what they are going to sell for.

McGraw, Bc'z and Sniper338 like this.
  7. Tommie

Tommie Gold $$ Contributor

Hats off to Weatherby for thinking outside the Liberace box. Roy’s flashy MK V will always be a fan favorite but the new blood running the company is bringing a lot to the table. The new 6.5 RPM cartridge is just one example. Who would have guessed that Weatherby would introduce a cartridge with a rebated rim, sharp shoulder (minus radius) and minimal freebore?

Building a custom rifle is only an option for those with the technical knowledge and time to wait for the build to eventually, hopefully complete. Just as a custom car can be built but buying a high performance vehicle at the dealership is easier...and it comes with a warranty.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
    Gary in MD likes this.
  8. McGraw

McGraw Silver $$ Contributor

Have they got it up and running in Sheridan now?

9. mensajd

mensajd

Weatherby has some custom options such as krieger barrels with more contemporary twist rates for vld/hybrid bullets.

10. Ringostar

Ringostar

I have a Weatherby Mark V Ultralight Weight. Came factory with a fluted pencil Krieger barrel. It’s not designed to be a target rifle, and I don’t expect to shoot lots of target groups with it. However it shoots very good for a hunting rifle. I fell into a deal that I couldn’t pass up when I bought it. Brand new for only $760. No it’s not a Vanguard. Find the right bullet for the jump of a mag feed. I’m very pleased with it.

11. ebb

ebb

A Mark 5 with a Krieger barrel for $760 sounds like a deal to me.

Burnt Powder and Mark W like this.
  12. Ringostar

Ringostar

Yes, I wasn’t even looking to buy another hunting rifle at the time. I took a walk through the used rifles at Gander Mountain. Then started walking along the counter glancing at the new ones. I noticed 3 Weatherby’s, 2 marked $1289 and one marked $850. I stopped and asked a guy behind the counter, what the difference was on them. Another worker down the line heard me, and said they were all he same. It’s just the one had been in inventory for 2 years, so they decided to discount it. I asked to look at it. While I had it in hand, the first worker scanned the tag. It came up on their computer marked $760. I instantly said, I’ll take it!

Intheshop and Bc'z like this.
  13. K22

K22

I have a Weatherby Mark V, 223 Rem, Supervarmint master that I purchased in 2009 for $1,500. At the time I was working with my gun smith to build a custom varmint rifle to my specs. He talked me into this factory offering claiming that if I wasn't happy with it he'd but it back for what I paid for it. It was the most money I ever spent on a factory rifle but it was an offer I couldn't refused - he never got it back.

Fast forward 10 years later - it's the most accurate factory rifle I've ever owned - sub 1/4" groups with tailored reloads. I've taken hundreds of ghogs with it. The factory stock and trigger are great. The only complaint I have is the two position safety is not idea. It's a shame they stop making this model.

Since then I've purchased a Weatherby Vanguard in 223 Rem. This is an excellent rifle for the price. Has a superior extraction system, good adjustable trigger, three position safety, and stiff stock. I like the 7.5 lbs weight and the way it handles. With tailored reloads I've been getting 1/2 to 5/8" groups.

However the current Mark V's are beyond my means and quite honestly I doubt if they shoot much better than the much cheaper (price wise) Tikka's or Brownings.

14. Burnt Powder

Burnt Powder

Heck, I’ve paid that for a Kreiger barrel and put it on myself! That’s a deal right there!!

15. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

How in the world can you pay $760 for a krieger barrel?

16. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Hats off to weatherby. Ive never been a fan, and still not interested in the least bit, but im glad theyre stepping out there and shaking it up.

mike mccormick likes this.
  17. hunter67

hunter67

Yes they are up and running in Sheridan

McGraw likes this.
  18. Richard308

Richard308

I had a Mark V in 257 Weatherby Magnum back in the late 80's, and that thing would hammer woodchucks way out there.

Evan likes this.