New York State Sporter Rifle

Discussion in 'Rimfire & Smallbore' started by Link, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Link

Link Silver $$ Contributor

Anyone play that game ? If so where? I am in the I000 Islands.

Link

daleboy likes this.
  2. daleboy

daleboy Silver $$ Contributor

There will be a CMP travel match in Vermont next fall,not sure on the dates .I am not far from you,not sure if there are any closer to you.

3. kzin

kzin

Are you looking for a place to shoot or you already shoot at the participating 1000I club?

I have participating clubs 2 and 10 miles from where I live in Rochester but offhand makes me cry.

4. Link

I do shoot and am wondering who else does this game. :eek:

5. David Root

David Root

I shoot Sporter Rifle in Brockport, so does my Girlfriend. My daughter shoots for Rochester Rifle Club. I have shot for Niagara county sportsmen's, and Lockport CC.

I shoot Irons and Scope. Love the sport. Right now is the Holiday shoot. I blew it for Scope, my first shot was a zero. Still shot an 84, 94, 95. Stuff happens. :) Tonight I shoot Irons for the holiday match.

If you shoot for 100I, then maybe you know Dennis V. He does not have scores up this year. I was from Copenhagen NY in a previous life, up till 1990.

Enjoy
    David

Bigdog109 likes this.
  6. Link

Asking yourself how did I shoot a 0 I bet. I haven't shot my Holiday yet. It has been below 0 here and it's hard when we shoot out a open window. lol. Yes Dennis is a good friend for 20 years. He is having shoulder problems. I have watched him shoot a lot of I00s. Do you know Bruce Schehan from up on the hill?
    Later Don Lingenfelter

7. David Root

David Root

Yes, I know how i shot the zero. I went to an indoor range and shot a 50 round match @ 25 yards using my Savage 93R17. It has an accutrigger. Then I shot the sporter rifle match with my Anschutz 1416 HB and 5 ounce trigger. Second shot of first target, I was taking up the slack and BANG! right above the first target. It happens.

I knew Dennis since around 1987. I bought a 45 from him and kept messing with it. I did all the work my self. around 1992 I sent it back to him for a new wilsons match barrel and had it blued. Still looks beautiful and shoots great.

Bruce from on the hill. Did his dad own the hotel in copenhagen?

Good luck
    David

8. Link

Yes, Bruce's dad owned the Davenport. He was a snowmobile buddy. Looks like you beat me by I point. It was I5 degrees, windy, snowing and dreary today. Shooting outdoors sucks. lol

9. David Root

David Root

I think I shot a 95, 89, 95 in Irons Holiday Match.

I grew up in Copenhagen. Bruce used to read to me when he was in 4th? grade and I was senior in high school.

Kzin, do you shoot at Rochester Rifle club?

David

10. kzin

kzin

No, I'm a member at GCL.
    I drive by RRC on the way to bowling :)
    Both have sporterifle now but my offhand is just too awful to do for fun .
    The final straw was finding that I would be classed as sub-rifleman :(

11. daleboy

Are you shooting CMP Sporter with a a 5 ounce trigger or another group ? Thanks

12. David Root

David Root

NYS Sporter Rifle.

http://sporterifle.org/

7.5 lb weight limit rifle and scope.
    No trigger restrictions, must be safe.

Offhand, no sling or anything else.

No elbow on hip unless female OR over 60. I'm 57. :)

Irons no weight limit so I use my MPR or 64 MS

David

13. daleboy

Thanks,David . I had not heard of that before. Nothing up north here by the looks of it,I will do some research. Road trips are always cool too.

14. Link

That's some good shooting for irons. I would be happy with that in scope. What do use for a scope rifle?

15. David Root

David Root

Scope Rifle,

First was a Ruger 10-22 around 1993. I took a lot of heat for that.
    "You have to load one at a time" "Shoot on the far right because its a semi and throws brass at everyone"

Then in 2000 I upgraded to a Remington 541-T (no HB) until 3 years ago.
    Now Anschutz 1416 HB with 5098 trigger and Weaver K-16 scope.

The K-16 was on the Remington. When I bought the Anschutz, I bought a new 4-16 weaver, but preferred the old fixed 16.

My girlfriend now shoots the Remington 541-T

I see the shootoff is March 25, hosted at my club, Brockport.
    First thing they do is weigh your rifle.
    I was sweating it because my scale said one ounce over. Good thing my scale was off.
    My rifles are legal!

In the late 90s, I bought my 8 year old daughter a Remington 597. I cut a few inches off the plastic stock.
    I knocked the "Plug" or butt out of the piece I cut off and put it back on the stock.

She stood on a chair, Rested her left elbow in the station and we gave her a pistol target the first year.
    The next year I took the chair away.
    The next year I made her hold it like the rest of us.
    Next she used sporter rifle target.

I sold the Remington for $75 and bought her a Marlin bolt action 22. She still shoots the marlin, but wants a top quality trigger installed.
    She is almost 30.

David

16. Link

Thanks David that's a interesting read, nice to see it's a family sport in your house. Don