New to the 6mm BR and wondering about loads

Discussion in '6BR, 6BR Improved & Wildcats' started by Huntschool, Sep 29, 2017.

1. Huntschool

Huntschool

I have a Ruger #1V (used) coming in next week in 6mm BR. I believe the gun started life as a 6mm PPC and was reamed to the BR cartridge. This being the case, the barrel should be a 1:10 twist.

I am wanting to use this as a varmint/coyote gun. (maximum destruction on impact. We dont save fur)

Question is what bullet weights/configurations/brands and loads work well in this twist. I would like to load an accurate but speedy load. My concern is getting the best bullet for this twist.

Thanks in advance from a new guy.

EDIT: After further research I am afraid this barrel may be a 1:14. Not really what I wanted.

EDIT II: Twist is 1:12.... and factory loaded Lapua drops right in the chamber.

Bruce A. Hering
    Program Coordinator/Lead Instructor (retired)
    Shotgun Team Coach
    Southeastern Illinois College
    SCTP Collegiate Coaches Chairman
    NSCA Level III

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  2. tn6br

tn6br Silver $$ Contributor

87 gr vmax 31 grains of varget is my coyote load. 85 gr sierra gameking gets it done too.

mikeinct likes this.
  3. Huntschool

Huntschool

Can you shoot 6mm BR Norma out of a 6mm BR chamber?

4. tn6br

tn6br Silver $$ Contributor

The only difference im aware of is the amount of freebore. So as long as the bullet isnt seated out to long you should be good.

5. Huntschool

Huntschool

tn6br:

Thanks.

I hope so as I bought 4 bx's (20 rd boxes) of Lapua 90 gr scenar for $20.00 per box last week.

Thought I read somewhere that the web on Lapua 6mm BR Norma was a bit "fatter" then the Remington SAMMI numbers. I have no idea what reamer was used to chamber this barrel from 6mm ppc to 6mm BR

Bruce A. Hering
    Shotgun Team Coach
    NSCA Level III

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
  6. kountryboy2

kountryboy2 Gold $$ Contributor

Bruce,

Does any fired brass come with the gun?

7. Huntschool

Huntschool

kountryboy2:

Unfortunately, no. I am just hoping this will work out. If not, I can have the chamber "cleaned up" to the Lapua 6mm BR Norma round without too much trouble. My other real concern is the twist. One person has told me that the ppc barrels were 1:10. I think I could live with that even in the lower weight bullets.

Bruce A. Hering
    Shotgun Team Coach
    NSCA Level III

8. powderbrake

powderbrake Silver $$ Contributor

Most 6ppc barrels used by the benchrest community run from 13 to 14 twist.

You can test the twist with a cleaning rod and a tight patch. Push it through while counting the turns and distance.

9. Huntschool

Huntschool

powderbrake:

Yea, that is my intention. I am hoping for a twist that will allow me some freedom in bullet and load selection.

Thanks.

Bruce A. Hering
    Shotgun Team Coach
    NSCA Level III

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
  10. joshb

joshb Gold $$ Contributor

I'd wait for the gun before making any more purchases. Cast the chamber and check the twist when you get it. Then move forward. I learned my lesson when I got excited about about my first 6br and prepped a box of new Lapua cases before the gun came. The owner said it had a .268 neck, so I turned the whole box for that with 3 thou clearance. When I got the gun, I cast the chamber. It had a .272 neck.:(

11. Huntschool

Huntschool

joshb:

Thanks

I decided on that. Gun will be here later this week. I guess I will do the twist check and chamber check then and see what I really have.

Bruce A. Hering
    Shotgun Team Coach
    NSCA Level III

12. 7tcu

7tcu

I have a custom 6br with a 1 in 10 twist I use for varmints. I use Serria 70gr Blitzkings loaded with 31.5 gr of either Benchmark or H 4895, they both shoot the same. That bullet does a good job on anything. Good luck with yours.

13. Huntschool

Huntschool

After further research I am afraid this barrel may be a 1:14.

Not really what I wanted but I guess I'll make due for now.....

Anyone have any good varmint loads for this twist or bullets they feel will work well with this twist.

Thanks

Bruce A. Hering
    Shotgun Team Coach
    NSCA Level III

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
  14. 7tcu

7tcu

What I gave you will shoot fine in a 1:14 twist barrel.

15. Shynloco

Shynloco You can lead a horse to water, but ........ Silver $$ Contributor

Bruce,
    After reading all the suggestions offered by others, do you have any idea what the round count is? Personally I'm not wild about using a 6mmBR (Norma) cartridge for hunting. Its was designed for paper punching and you are seeking "MAXIMUM DESTRUCTION." Its a Ruger Rifle and a barrel change is no biggy and I'd rather opt for a .243. And you DO NOT need a Match Grade barrel for your purposes. There are less expensive barrels made for hunting. SO why not just get a new barrel in the caliber you want to hunt with. Just an idea.

Alex

Rushty likes this.
  16. Huntschool

Huntschool

Alex:

I do not have a round count but was told (the seller is reputable with #1's) that the bore looks to be in great shape. The rifle will be in my hands today. I will check twist, bore and chamber. If all looks good and I get a scope on it, I should get some rounds down the barrel over the weekend. That should tell the story.

I guess my reasoning for this rifle was as much to play with it as not. I am sure you understand. To me thats paper and varmints. This will also be a rifle for my wife to shoot if she wants. We actually talked a good bit about it and she was excited by this round.

Thanks for your comment.

Bruce A. Hering
    Shotgun Team Coach
    NSCA Level III

17. wapiti25

wapiti25

You need to see if your barrel was chambered with a 6mm BR Rem or the 6mm BR Norma reamer. The neck length is different on the two 6mm BR's, the Rem BR has a shorter neck. The throat can be any length but the Norma is usually longer for the heavy bullets. I have shot the Berger 80gr out of a 12tw with very good accuracy but a 14tw may not work well with bullets heavier than 70 or 75gr. You can use Lapua brass in both chambers but you may need to trim the neck short for the Rem version. The chamber may also be tight at the base (about .001-.002) if a 6mm BR Rem reamer was used and you use Lapua brass. It would be good if you can find the reamer print used.

18. Huntschool

Huntschool

Gun is in hand. Dropped a factory loaded Lapua in and it fits perfectly. First problem solved. Sort of. I don’t think there is any way I am going to find out about the orig reamer without doing a chamber cast. I am suspect, given the fit of the factory rd that it was done with a Lapua/Norma reamer.

Will check twist when I get home.

EDIT: Twist is 1:12....

Bruce A. Hering
    Shotgun Team Coach
    NSCA Level III

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  19. 7tcu

7tcu

Well, lucky you. You can shoot many different bullets with that twist. A friend of mine has a 243 with a 1:12 twist and it can handle bullets under 100gr. 100gr give him problems, so he mainly shoots 85gr but he is deer hunting not varmint hunting.

20. Huntschool

Huntschool

I am excited about this rifle. Scope is mounted (may not be the one I stay with) and I am ready to shoot. Have to do some work on my 100 yard target tomorrow. I have a new frame to put out so there is some work at hand.

All I have on hand is those 90 gr scenar Lapua factory loads but I AM going to shoot it. Should have some loads including that 70 gr Blitz king TCU listed in a week or so. Cant wait to take this to the field...... I'll post some pics tomorrow when the light is good. Pretty nice wood.......

Thanks for all the help and if anyone has any more pet loads for a 1:12 for a hot varmint load please list them.

Bruce A. Hering
    Shotgun Team Coach
    NSCA Level III