New To Me Rest

Discussion in 'Rimfire & Smallbore' started by USMCDOC, Jan 11, 2018.

1. USMCDOC

USMCDOC Silver $$ Contributor

So i took a Randolph rest and changed out the tops.. it came with a Fudd top but i pulled it due to the fact that the glue that was holding the ear bags on was coming loose.. i will want to take it apart and clean it all up anyway..
    20180111_053312[1].jpg
    I own a D.R. Greenlaw top,
    20180104_102509.jpg
    I made the stock stop for it, but removed it for the placement of the top onto the Randolph rest.

I removed the slider section of the Greenlaw top and affixed it to the attachment plate of the Randolph and used the Randolph forearm stop as well..
    20180110_203044.jpg

A couple of closer look see's

20180111_051852.jpg
    20180111_051903.jpg
    I hope that this will be a vast improvement to the rest.. i will know more this evening for sure!

2. USMCDOC

Well i took advantage of a couple of warm days and made a couple of pcs for it.. screw stops and feet.
    20180113_063039[1].jpg
    20180113_063102[1].jpg

i think that i will also might make a new windage and elevation knob out of brass as well.. not sure yet.. also.. as you can see, i took the tuning fork forearm stop off and put the one i made back on it. i like it a lot better..

3. R.Morehouse

R.Morehouse Gold $$ Contributor

I agree with switching the forearm stop. I switched the one out when i had a JJ to a round one. The flat IMO just gives you something else to have to true up in your system.......Doin' a nice job there......Thanks for posting it up.

Shynloco and USMCDOC like this.
  4. USMCDOC

Thank you sir! i noticed a difference right off with some of that "un-explained" seemed to disappear!

Jsjac likes this.
  5. tonysnoo

tonysnoo Gold $$ Contributor

I enjoyed the story. Very nice work.... With all that talent, you could just build one from scratch. Very nice indeed!!!

6. USMCDOC

i appreciate the compliment.. but my mill isn't quite big enough to build one from scratch..

7. nilebartram

nilebartram Silver $$ Contributor

Doc- love your rest and what you did to it. Good old American ingenuity. nilebartram

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    USMCDOC likes this.
  8. USMCDOC

Thank you sir! i am redoing the Fudd top right now.. as a back up!

20180113_153439[1].jpg

I want to call one of the bag makers and have them make a new bottom bag for it and i will have tabs on each end of the bag to "screw" it in place so that it won't interfere with the uprights as they move. Use a felt or something like it on the upright.. just enough to capture the bottom half of the side of the stock forearm. Not too much friction that way. Whom would you call about a bag?

9. Shynloco

Shynloco You can lead a horse to water, but ........ Silver $$ Contributor

Randy,
    In case you are unaware, Protektor makes the Windage Top Bags in Super Slick material for all of Dan's Windage Tops. They sell them in packs of three and replace the material ones shown in your picture. I have the Super Slick material bags on all three of my Greenlaw Rest tops and have found they provide a more even/smoother sliding on recoil. Info only.

Alex

USMCDOC likes this.
  10. USMCDOC

Thank you Alex,

i have considered the "slick" material for the new bag for sure when i get the Fudd top completed.. and actually i have thought about the slick material for the Greenlaw top as well.. I have even as so much have considered selling this rear rest for a new one.. actually i would need two rear rest, due to the fact that the bottom of one stock is thicker than the other.. The Grand Master actioned rifle rides really well in the rear bag i have now. But the other is wider!

11. 10/22AppleCreekShooter

10/22AppleCreekShooter

Looks good.

USMCDOC likes this.
  12. USMCDOC

Thanks..

13. boltfluter

boltfluter Gold $$ Contributor

Doc,

Very nicely done. Rest mods can make for some fun machining. :D

Paul

USMCDOC likes this.
  14. USMCDOC

Paul,

Thanks sir.. and yes, i am finding that it is a lot of fun!

15. seymour fish

seymour fish

Doc, Love the old Fudd top. Handy for “shooting in” hunting center fires/ quick introduction to bench shooting for folks

USMCDOC likes this.
  16. Bill K

Bill K

That is a very nice set up, you came up with, with some modification. Bill K

FFEMT and USMCDOC like this.
  17. USMCDOC

I am going to take Alex's suggestion for the Fudd rest top and get Protektor to make a bag.. can't decide if cordura or leather sides with the slick material on the top of the bag. And use something else on the sides.. something soft that will give it pressure from the sides.. Any suggestions?

18. USMCDOC

Thanks.. i am not done yet.. I am deff going to make a brass elevation and windage knob for it..

19. seymour fish

seymour fish

1\4” 70 durometer Sorbothane covered with slick material ?

20. USMCDOC

How would you affix it to the slick material? Also, through your question, i think that i found the material that Pappas was using for his gasket material on the slides and noodles.