New [to me] reloading bench

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by itsanss, Jan 21, 2019.

1. itsanss

itsanss

Hey, guys. I've had this setup for coming up on a year now. Haven't had the time to mess with it and I don't go shooting very often. Life gets in the way sometimes!

But my dad, mom, and I recently went to the range and fired some rounds and all three of us got to shoot some guns that have never been shot (ever) and got to shoot some that had never been shot by us (but have been shot before). So now all I can think about is guns! A month from now it'll be fishing. And a month after that will be cars. And a month after that will be woodworking. I have a bad habit of liking a lot of different things. :D

I've never reloaded any round in any caliber before, but I've watched over my uncles shoulder while he reloaded some 12ga shotgun shells....but I'll bet that's been ten years ago! But I think it's something I'd like to get into....or at least know how to do it since it is, after all, sitting in my garage!

Anyway, just thought I'd show off the setup. My granpda and uncle built the bench and all the gear belonged to my grandpa. He had some really, really nice stuff. Guess I got some of his genes because I like similar things. He was also very meticulous. So even though I don't know much (or anything) about reloading, I can't help but think this setup is pretty well complete. I know there are some dies that aren't here that I would need to reload certain calibers, but as far as the gist of having what's needed to get started is here, I do believe.

So what do ya'll think of my inheritance?? Better than money???? :cool:

IMG_4980.JPG IMG_4982.JPG IMG_4981.JPG IMG_4984.JPG

Attached Files:

2. itsanss

itsanss

IMG_4986.JPG IMG_4987.JPG IMG_4988.JPG IMG_4989.JPG IMG_4990.JPG Some more...

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
  3. nmkid

nmkid Gold $$ Contributor

You have a good start on hand loading, if you decide to follow through. Of course you'll, "need" to buy more stuff. If you need ideas in the future of the things you will need, just ask us here. We are experts on spending money!

Boisblancboy likes this.
  4. HTSmith

HTSmith Silver $$ Contributor

Yep better than $. Looks good to go on shotgun

5. SPJ

SPJ Gold $$ Contributor

Hey
    Your fishing poles are upside down and your rifle caddy is up on top without any room on your bench.
    And your concrete is cracked all to hell..
    Other than that,
    Nice bench
    Just messin :)

Bc'z likes this.
  6. Papa Charlie

Papa Charlie Gold $$ Contributor

That looks great. Wish I had that kind of room.

7. Puzzaz01

Puzzaz01

You're just about to start down the rabbit hole that never ends. It gets expensive but it's fun. Looks like you have a nice head start and welcome to the club.

Darrin

Ol’ Ed, Matt in Virginia and Bc'z like this.
  8. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

Looks like your grandfather left you setting pretty nice with that set up.
    Now grab the reloading manual and start reading and get a good understanding of the process.

GotRDid, Prose and SPJ like this.
  9. DennisH

DennisH Life Time NRA member Gold $$ Contributor

Very nice setup! I used 2"x12" on my bench, and 5/4" finished plywood. The weight made it awesome. I am always adding something.

I hope everybody's "New Year" is starting off with a bang this year, mine is looking good, but I am not counting my blessings just yet!

Take Care,
    Dennis

10. joshb

joshb Gold $$ Contributor

That’s a nice setup! Even better because of the history and better than money! Whet rifles are you shooting?:)

11. Just Say Moe

Just Say Moe

I like his choice of rifle chamberings. Do you have the rifles?

12. Jacks Grampa

Jacks Grampa

You need more books. For shotshell I like Lyman 5th. Edition Shotshell Handbook. For metallic cartridge I like Lyman 49th. Edition Reloading Handbook and Handloaders Guide by Stanley W. Trzoniec. Handloaders Guide might be hard to find but well worth the search. Speer also has good How To and recipes. Welcome to a fun and rewarding hobby.

13. Evlshnngns

Evlshnngns

I suggest you get a 6.5x55 to match your dies. Nice setup!

14. itsanss

itsanss

For some reason I can't reply to this post.

Keeps saying, "The content you want to post is not allowed".

Anyone else have this problem?

15. Jeff A

Jeff A Formerly known as BikeEffects Gold $$ Contributor

An excellent acquisition. Reloading is a great hobby and a good way to learn morer about shooting! Enjoy.

16. Enosiophobia

Enosiophobia

Just started down the rabbit hole myself. Built my bench last few weeks. Brazilian Cherry top with Walnut edges (left over from a flooring job). Already spending too much time on it. 20190106_174335.jpg

Evlshnngns and SPJ like this.
  17. itsanss

itsanss

18. itsanss

itsanss

19. SPJ

SPJ Gold $$ Contributor

LOL
    Nice set up"
    Gotta work on the font size next;)

20. joshb

joshb Gold $$ Contributor

So you have some GP 11 coming? or did you buy some PPU? You can’t reload the GP11 brass without a special tool, just so you know.
    I have a K31 and it’s a shooter. Good luck with yours. They’re fun guns.:);)